Late-era John Wayne Film Discussion

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by omikron, Jun 14, 2021.

1. bostonscoots

bostonscoots Forum Resident

Rooster Cogburn I like, mostly because John Wayne and Katharine Hepburn bring their old pro chemistry to the proceedings. With Wayne's iconic drawl and Hepburn's East Coast trembling, the banter between them is just so damn listenable. Even today, if I'm in a deli and someone orders a Reuben all I can hear is Katharine Hepburn's shrill "R-r-r-reubahn".

2. Any Love for The Train Robbers?

3. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Yes, Ann Margaret!

4. Not a fan of The Undefeated. I couldn't find the Confederates who were "too proud" to stay in the union particularly sympathetic. Wayne is the best thing about this movie.

Rio Lobo gets bashed a bit by critics, but I always enjoy it when it's on.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    Exonian and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account Thread Starter

1969 True Grit
    1969 The Undefeated
    1970 No Substitute for Victory (Narrator)
    1970 Chisum
    1970 Rio Lobo
    1970 Swing Out, Sweet Land (Himself)
    1970 Harry Jackson: A Man and His Art (Narrator)
    1971 Big Jake
    1972 The Cowboys
    1972 Cancel My Reservation (Himself)
    1973 The Train Robbers
    1973 Cahill, United States Marshal
    1974 McQ
    1975 Brannigan
    1975 Rooster Cogburn
    1976 The Shootist
    1977 Star Wars (voice only as Garindian)

And here is John Wayne in Star Wars. He's Garindian, the snoot guy's voice. Obviously heavily altered.

hyntsonsvmse and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. plugmeintosomething

plugmeintosomething Forum Resident

I've always loved Big Jake.

7. peter

peter Senior Member

I can tell you all that as a kid, it was a BIG THRILL when Dad took us to see a JW in the late 60's/early 70's.

Off topic, but I even remember seeing Paint Your Wagon on the big (and I mean really big) screen. Vancouver, where I grew up, was on the vaudeville circuit in the 30's, so the theatres were just gorgeous: Capitol, Orpheum, Vogue, Coronet. We saved the Orpheum and the Vogue. We saved the Vogue and the Orpheum, but the Coronet and Odeon are history.

Here's a photo of Granville Street looking south from Robson Street:

[​IMG]

Exonian, bill44, AppleBonker and 6 others like this.
  8. Dirkwkirk

Dirkwkirk Forum Resident

I saw True Grit in a theatre. I was 12 or so. Liked it & I will still watch it. Think he made one call Brannigan? He was a cop or something. And the Shootist as well. Don't remember many others.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Big Jake is one of my favorite of all of his movies. Also his last one with Maureen O'Hara (and her last movie for 20 years).

bill44, Matthew Tate and peter like this.
  10. peter

peter Senior Member

If nothing else (and there was a lot else), JW conveyed the importance of being larger than life itself. A famous American once said: "Dream Big Dreams; little ones lack the momentum to carry themselves forward." Again, an incredible time to be young.

11. ssmith3046

Plus Harry Carey junior was in it. Harry Carey senior was a huge influence on the Duke.

12. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

My dad did some summer stock theater and while he didn't meet John Wayne (he did meet Betty White), he use to say John Wayne was the
    best "re-actor" he ever saw. He's brilliant at it. The next time True Grit is on, watch him and especially the scene with Glen Campbell at the
    dugout, talking about who will shoot whom. He is listening to Campbell's every word. Carefully.
    His acting skills were finely tuned.

Exonian, 64FALCON, 905 and 3 others like this.
  13. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

To me, it's one of those "if it's on, I watch it" sort of movies. It's just a great piece of movie making.... nothing to incredible, but just fully satisfying.

Has Ron Howard ever spoke about it in any interviews?

14. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

'The Cowboys' is perhaps my favourite John Wayne film and I'm coming to the conclusion that it may contain Wayne's best performance. A great film.

Exonian, peter, 64FALCON and 4 others like this.
  15. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

I remember watching the Tonight show with Johnny Carson and John Wayne came on the set and they were talking about the Cowboys film.
    Wayne was really impressed with Bruce Dern as an actor.

64FALCON, 905, Boom Operator and 2 others like this.
  16. ssmith3046

He put on a convincing performance, that's for sure.

17. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

John Wayne fan here.

The Cowboys (1972) is one of the great westerns and the best
    film John Wayne made in the 1970s. He is riveting to watch,
    especially in the last half hour.

In the 1970s, I particularly enjoyed The Train Robbers (1973). The
    story is paper thin but I like the style and visual aesthetic of the
    film, and of course John Wayne's presence. It could have been a
    Budd Boetticher / Randolph Scott suspense western like they did
    in the late 1950s. Burt Kennedy wrote those and he wrote and
    directed The Train Robbers.

McQ (1974) offers one of John Wayne's most subtle performances.
    He plays a sad man in his retirement from the police department
    who gradually comes to realize that all the people he trusted went
    corrupt as soon as he was out of the way. It's a deeply felt but very
    small performance. Instead of projecting in big broad John Wayne
    style he internalizes. For some reason fans just aren't reading him
    in this film. Then the action starts the third act and nobody cares.

I don't enjoy watching John Wayne die slowly in The Shootist (1976)
    although it is one helluva film. He is in absolute command of the
    screen. The music score is completely wrong and undermines the
    film for me. Director Don Siegel often screwed up the scoring of
    his films.

peter, Exonian, bill44 and 5 others like this.
  18. greenhorn

greenhorn Forum Resident

*The Cowboys"
    I was a kid (10) at the time and so envied those kids... in the style of the movie.
    I really enjoy most all his films and love many of them.

Boom Operator likes this.
  19. DankFridge

DankFridge Forum Resident

Fairly new JW fan here. I've seen about 25-30 of his films in the last year and The Shootist is his absolute best in my opinion. Deserves a Criterion release. The novel is excellent is well, though quite a bit bleaker.

Like a previous poster stated, I've found most JW films for under $5 at Half Price Books. Lots of them are free on Tubi and Vudu as well.

The Cowboys was also excellent. Great coming of age tale and didn't expect to see Duke die. Roscoe Lee Brown was wonderful, as was Bruce Dern.

I actually enjoyed Rooster Cogburn more than True Grit. Duke and Katie's back-and-forth felt like a procession of hilarious memes. Very feel-good movie.

Big Jake was quite a bit nastier and violent than a lot of the JW movies I've seen. I thought it was thrilling.

The Train Robbers felt rather assembly line, but its enthusiasm is infectious and Ann-Margret is beautiful.

McQ was a cool Dirty Harry lite. The 1970s Seattle locale was a big part of the appeal for me. I'm from Seattle but was born later. I like to seek out movies and shows set in Seattle of the past... The Parallax View also delivers on this front.

Rio Lobo's opening is amazing. The rest of it wasn't quite as great as Rio Bravo and El Dorado, but tied the trilogy together in a crowd pleasing way.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2022
    peter, Exonian, chuckgay and 6 others like this.
  20. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

another vote for the shootist... brilliant movie

21. ssmith3046

Having worked in the oil and natural gas industry years ago I always get a laugh when Hellfighters is on. It's based on Paul Adair's exploits fighting oil well fires usually caused by a blowout. The phone rings, closeup on said phone, and the dramatic tension filled music begins.

Matthew Tate and omikron like this.
  22. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

I have both of these on bluray and really like them. The prob with McQ is Clu Gulager. A shocking actor. He ruined so many films and TV shows.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

True grit is a strange film. It doesn't quite work for me. Kim Darbys part is just off. She character she plays is incongruous. Glenn Campbell was not an actor and should not have been in it. He does a Bobby Darrin in True Grit.
    I like the film but its out of kilter and could have been so easily better with better casting and character development.

24. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account Thread Starter

Hellfighters is a pretty interesting movie for The Duke. It certainly is different.

It's also a really hard one to find on streaming services.

I checked it out from the library decades ago and have been itching to see it again.

905, Matthew Tate and ssmith3046 like this.
  25. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

In fact, True Grit (though I prefer the Coens' version) and The Shootist are the only two post-Hatari Wayne films that I think qualify as good films, though I can take the knockabout stuff in McLintock and cameos in The Longest Day and How the West Was Won. Prior to Hatari, he's a in a slew of great movies, mostly directed by Ford but there are a few outside of that.