Late Jefferson Starship (1979-1984) vs. Starship (1985 onwards)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sister Disco, Apr 7, 2021.

1. I presented a different opinion and the numbers don’t lie. And yes, ‘Marconi’ was playing the mamba an old number, my interpretation was a music/dance (mambo) not a snake. Perhaps I’m wrong. Where I’m not wrong, more people love the song then a group of irrelevant journalists at RS, blender or such with a poll or “list of the worst” used to get clicks, which in essence is clickbait. I questioned why you're quasi-trolling with tales of the uncle and the family hatred of a song. Wrong thread, but regardless, I do respect your opinion, I just disagree with where you’re expressing it. Maybe there is a thread for those who hate the song? I’m done and will gladly allow you to have the last word. :tiphat:

2. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

It's just not a band album. The Kantner tracks are fine and sound basically the same as his tracks on KBC and Starship albums. The Hot Tuna tracks are decent Tuna. Grace's stuff is disappointing and Marty's is ultra sappy.

EVen on the licve tapes, I hear the Airplane members trying to sing over two keyboardists and Aaronoff's overplaying.

Hep Alien and carlwm like this.
  3. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Love Grace's songs on this one. Probably my favourite set of songs from her. Thought Marty's Summer Of Love had hit single potential too. No wonder my A&R career was a complete flop. :D

Hep Alien and bRETT like this.
  4. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Defines why i feel so left out. Phil collins celine beyonce taylor adelle genericness persists. Boomers are not listening to 50s and 60s music they put on oprahs favorite cover of when a man loves a woman. Medeocrity and nothingness

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  5. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

"We Built This City"----in nearly every case, these "worst songs" things mistake "enduringly peculiar in a way that will never leave you" with "worst." The worst song of all time is likely track four side 2 of some LP that I wouldn't remember if I heard it even after hearing the record 20 times.

All these "worst songs" are actually powerful and effecting---even the legendary "worst song" that I too "hate" but must admit it DOES ITS JOB. (That would be "What's Up" by four non blondes)

JamieLang and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  6. This.

Anon Y. Mous likes this.
  7. You said it. :righton:

8. Sister Disco

Sister Disco Forum Resident Thread Starter

Mickey Thomas doesn't even sound like himself here. As you've said he's imitating other AOR singers of the time like Jon Bon Jovi.

paste likes this.
  9. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

Thanks for letting me have the last word, here it is, I look forward to your lack of reply. You say "perhaps I'm wrong", maybe a dictionary will help you on that - the definition of "mamba" goes beyond personal opinion, which otherwise is all I shared, an opinion, yet what you strangely took issue with. While you're there, check the first name of your username here, where you are "quasi-trolling" everyone with a word that is considered derogatory and offensive - but that's just you being clever, isn't it, har har. Either way the fact that the earlier period of Jefferson Starship is decimating the "Knee Deep..." period right here in this poll is enough confirmation for me, the song sucks.

10. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I perefer the JS period and so voted for it but there's not much in it. The first two Starship albums are full of terrific pop-rock music, at least in my opinion.

11. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

In one way, you are proving my point. I too "prefer the JS period and so voted for it" at the same time I agree "there's not much in it." So this idea that that admittedly lackluster period is trouncing the Starship era is very telling. I'm sure there are fans of either or both periods, more power to them, enjoy enjoy enjoy. No one need agree with any consensus, screw that.

carlwm likes this.
  12. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Yeah, it's all opinions. I prefer both periods to earlier JS and, indeed, for me the only Airplane album I like as much, is the '89 reunion album and I know that I'm ploughing a lonely furrow with that viewpoint. :D

SRC likes this.
  13. Anon Y. Mous

Anon Y. Mous Forum Resident

Remembered this thread, and wanted to share my favorite post-Kantner song (by far)

PTgraphics, Greenalishi and carlwm like this.
  14. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Modern Times is just a great album. Great record. No bad songs. That early 80s Styx type sound. Really transcends to me.Love Modern Times. Don’t know or have interest in the rest. Few cool songs in Jeff Starship. But mostly generic like Starship

15. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

Seeing JS in six weeks. Was not happy to learn of WBTC and NGSUN in the setlist. Don’t mind the songs so much but would rather hear classic JA/JS or new songs from the current band. This is supposed to be a continuation of Paul’s band and these are not his songs and this is something he’d never have done. It’s not gonna ruin the show for me and I’m not gonna complain to my friends/other attendees but felt like mentioning it here.

Greenalishi likes this.
  16. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Hard to believe that Dave Freiberg is 84...

Hep Alien, Galley and carlwm like this.
  17. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

He's a force of nature!

peachyg72, Hep Alien and Wright like this.
  18. The last best Jefferson Starship album was Freedom at a Point Zero. I have no use for Starship.

19. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Tree Of Liberty is a corker of a folk-rock album. If you like that style, it's worth a listen.

EDIT: I feel we may have had a similar converstion recently. If so, apologies for the repeat!

wayneklein likes this.
  20. No worries. I’ve often thought of picking it up.

carlwm likes this.
  21. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

I kinda like all eras for certain things. Just saw Mickey Thomas' Starship or however it is billed, they played a free show on the boardwalk in Seaside Heights NJ (of Jersey Shore MTV infamy). For free, it was thoroughly enjoyable. The Starship hits were crowd pleasers and better than I remembered, and they did a decent sampling of Mickey's JS era - Stranger, Jane, Layin' It On the line etc. Nice to hear Fooled Around and Fell In Love as well. And the female singer did a decent job on White Rabbit and Somebody To Love (she had previously toured with Meat Loaf and one of the recent Zappa tours, according to the woman next to me).

My only previous concert experience in the family tree was Winds of Change tour in 1982 and the Airplane 1989 reunion.

Galley, carlwm and Greenalishi like this.