Late Night With David Letterman

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by cwitt1980, Apr 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member Thread Starter

Any old threads celebrating Letterman at NBC are closed now. I doubt you can watch anything online besides fan uploads on youtube. Anyone know if there is a place to see the old episodes? I figured someone out there recorded them when the cable channel Trio was around. I can handle youtube but the varying quality can be obtrusive. It'd be great if a station like MeTV began to broadcast these again ala Johnny Carson.

JediJones, Simon A and Dan C like this.
  2. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

His original late night show was before my time but it looks like something I would have really enjoyed if I were a teen or young adult in the 80s. Instead I got to grow up watching Conan's show from around the mid 90s onward and am grateful to have experienced his NBC run as it happened. The only late night Letterman I recall was in syndicated form in the 90s on the E network.

3. cwitt1980

That was about the same for me. As a teen, I began watching Letterman on CBS during his early days there and watched Conan on NBC. I thought Letterman was great and back then sought out any VHS tapes I could find with my allowance. Even then, I thought his earlier stuff was edgier and more to my liking (much like Conan was doing in the 1990s). Since I'm reading the recent biography on him, I wish to watch more 80's Late Night since I know I haven't even scraped the surface.

JediJones likes this.
  4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I was 23 on Feb. 1st, 1982, when Late Night debuted. My GF had just moved in mere months before, so she wasn't too happy when I climbed out of bed five minutes prior, to watch the show. My VCR must've been broken, or I'd have taped it.

I'd love to go down memory lane and watch those again. I know clips I've seen since have always entertained me.

5. AKA

AKA Senior Member

JediJones, frankfan1, Simon A and 8 others like this.
  6. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

The greatest late night show of my lifetime (I'm not old enough to remember Steve Allen)

Simon A, Dan C and Silver Surfer like this.
  7. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Letterman during the 80's was some great television. I started college in the fall of 1982 and the show was immensely popular on campus. Of course, it probably helped that I went to school in Indianapolis.

cwitt1980, JediJones, Fullbug and 2 others like this.
  8. cwitt1980

Thanks for that. Seeing it's all from the same person, it may be the best best on watching these without the quality jumping all over the place. Granted, I know it took a lot of us awhile to learn SP was the way to go!

JediJones, Myke and AKA like this.
  9. cwitt1980

Dave was great at putting down how television works. "Due to it's popularity, there will be extra commercial interruptions." Great stuff.

10. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Late Night With David Letterman was the greatest TV show of all time. Nothing comes close for me. I think I said this in one of the old threads but when I was a teenager I loved Late Night easily as much as I loved any of my favorite bands. It was a huge deal to me.

11. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

For me, Dave at NBC was the best. The first few years at CBS were okay, but still didn't compare with NBC Dave. I taped nearly 200 shows from 1982-87, a handful from 1988-90 and around 60 from 1991-93.
    I haven't watched them in a few years, I think I will dig them out!
    I even have tapes of a couple of the 1980 morning shows.

12. Myke

This link + my Oppo having You Tube as an option I've been recently using more of, I'm going to watch these on my TV screen.

Thank you ! :tiphat:

13. cwitt1980

This may just force me to get a box of some sort to watch from my television.

JediJones and Myke like this.
  14. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Google chrome is $35. You can stream YouTube to your tv using it by pluging into a hdmi jack.

rockclassics and Myke like this.
  15. Myke

The other night Jason Isbell And The 400 Unit had a live concert, full length, broadcast on various sites, inc. You Tube.
    It looked, and sounded great !!! :agree:

16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I suspect "Late Night" was big on colleges everywhere. It was definitely a huge thing here in VA - I started college in 1985 but was a fan of the show from its start.

I still remember I was pissed I never got to see the morning show. We didn't have a VCR yet and I had to go to school! :mad:

JediJones likes this.
  17. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I remember seeing Letterman's morning show once or twice before it got cancelled.

cwitt1980 and JediJones like this.
  18. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

Letterman was best on NBC. He tailed off before he left, but his classic shows and years were very good to excellent imo during most of his NBC run.

19. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I think his first several years on NBC were among my favorite television ever.

cwitt1980, JediJones and bpmd1962 like this.
  20. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Lemme tell ya,...it was. You gotta watch the bits with Chris Elliot back in the days. He would literally pop out of the asile and rhey would riff for 5-10 minutes.

Conan and the Oldie Oldman or Triumph bits were just as classic. Different kind of humor but both very edgy.

21. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

Chris Elliott was a creative force back then. He was in so many bizarrely funny skits, it was so fun to watch.

22. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

All the way up to Get A Life and then he fell off a cliff.

23. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

My favorite stuff was when he went to CBS and recruited the Asian deli owner (forgot his name) to do whatever Dave would tell him via walkie-talkie. Still cracks me up.

JediJones likes this.
  24. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

When I went to see the Late Show back in '07, Chris Elliott was one of the guests as 'Skink the Bounty Hunter'.

And not only that but he had Gerard Mulligan with him! As an old school Dave fan it was the best thing possible.

JediJones likes this.
  25. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Senior Member

I used to like the appearances by Larry "Bud" Melman.

JediJones and kronning like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.