Latest eBay experience

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by 33andathird, Aug 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 33andathird

33andathird keep em spinning Thread Starter

Have been having a rough time on eBay recently on the vinyl front unfortunately! In about a year I've ordered around a dozen LPs which proved fine, one or two a little less than described but still keepers. In the last month, however, literally every record I've gotten has been a dud. The latest one I received, I actually gave a chuckle when I opened it... described as EX by a seller with reasonable feedback, came to me extremely scratched on one side with the grooves absolutely silver from wear. As expected, sounded brutal. Yet again I have to venture down the path of a refund, and be out of pocket on postage.
    Sick of the multitude of ebayers who list records as EX when they would be lucky to scrape Good. What do they expect will happen? Also very frustrated at the amount of crooks who bribe you into giving positive feedback in order to get your money back, (they bloody hate negative feedback, even though 100% deserved, and often will get extremely aggressive about it), thus lulling some other poor b.....d into a false sense of security.
    Apart from the obvious, such as looking at pictures, checking feedback etc, are there any strategies you employ when looking for good records online? Any other sites (UK) that actually sell records as described and with whom you've a good track record?
    Also I don't suppose there's anyone in Ireland, UK or Europe on here selling new wave/post punk records in EX or better condition? Worth a shot I suppose, if I have to return one more record this week I'll crack up lol.
    My post office must think I'm running a very successful vinyl business with all my toing and froing.
    I don't live near any record shops and unwilling in these times to travel to the cities just for records, hence the increased online shopping. I obviously expect to get stung once in a while, but come on, it's beginning to take the p**s!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
  2. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

With the exception of eBay seller I already trust, I don't but records there any more. WAY too many inexperienced and/or crooked sellers.

Generally I've had a bit better luck with Discogs although I keep two lists for them: "Great seller" list and, "Never buy from again" seller list.

3. 33andathird

33andathird keep em spinning Thread Starter

Yes I should probably start making a list of my own! Discogs good, have had no problems the two times I bought there, a bit overpriced sometimes though.

Brian Lux likes this.
  4. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

Just started buying CD's on ebay recently and have had pretty good luck overall. My latest experience is my only "negative" experience so far and was at least partly my fault. I bought Al Jarreau's High Crime, which was described as "rare red target label made in Japan", without pictures of the disc itself. Of course it showed up today as the standard silver face U.S. pressing. I was promptly refunded by the seller but the note with the refund kind of irked me a little: "Sorry about that, the pictures clearly showed the product but my mistake for copying a previous listing and not reading carefully." Well, the pictures consisted of the inserts and not the discs. Again, my mistake for trusting the description. At the end of the day I got a free disc out of the deal so I can't complain.

5. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

I'm always amazed some people are selling cds at EBay without any picture, so scaring away possible sellers.

Recently I tried however my luck when I saw a very cheap 'Live in London' by Talk Talk, normally much more expensive.

I really got luck. It showed up and it was in almost a mint condition.

Duke Fame likes this.
  6. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

Yeah. Mine wasn't expensive at all so even if I got stuck with paying for it I at least got it for probably close to what it's worth.

7. visolo

visolo Well-Known Member

I have bought CDs from the same seller over the years. I think they are a warehouse CD store or something, they always use stock pictures. But every CD I got, was almost like new, hardly any scratches. I wonder if the resurface them. I'm not picky on the cases, as long as they are not broken or falling apart. Only hipsters complain about cracks on the cases.

8. SoNineties

SoNineties Forum Resident

I came to the conclusion that they expect (or rather hope) that you accept a partial refund and live with it.
    This way they get paid for something they would never manage to get rid of in the first place had they been upfront with regards to conditions.

That's why I do not buy from private sellers but stick to the pros when going the used route.
    It comes at a cost. Up to you to decide whether is worth it or not.

Sorry to hear about your mishap

9. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

Doesn’t EBay make the buyer pay for return postage on not-as-described returns? It’s been like that here in the US unless things have changed recently. That takes the risk out of buying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.