Latest/recent DVD movies watched? Part 3

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mcow1, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Laurel & Hardy - Unaccustomed As We Are

[​IMG]

2. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Valentine's Day

I like movies with multiple storylines that intersect.
    This wasn't one of the best but it was reasonably entertaining.

3. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I watched the new BD of Dances With Wolves last night. I thought that it generally looked purr-dy good. I was a bit underwhelmed by the audio. I remember it being a bit better on DTS DVD and LD. Also, the 7.1 mix didn't get selected correctly by my Onkyo processor. I had to turn off the THX EX, that it defaults to, manually. I've never had to do this for any other 7.1 BD.

4. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Great movies! :righton:

Have you seen the Japanese original Hachi movie with Tatsuya Nakadai?
    "八" (hachi=eight) is the kanji character the dog was named after. It looks like the dogs front legs.

5. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Watched the Town last night and really enjoyed it.

6. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

I didn't realize there was a Japanese version of Hachi. What year was it made?

Playtime was a trip. I think you need to watch it many times to catch all of what's going on in some of the scenes.

7. Paradiddle

Paradiddle Forum Resident

My wife and I watched the first three discs of The West Wing (S1) in as many days last week (received the entire series box set from friends as a "new parent" gift). I've never seen it so this if my first time. I can see why it's so highly regarded...razor-sharp dialogue and compelling characters you want to root for.

I also finally finished the last two discs of Season 2 of Fringe so can now catch up with the S3 episodes on my DVR. Great show, too bad it'll probably get canceled.

8. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

'Hachiko Monogatari' was released in 1987 and was a box office success in Japan.
    imdb
    The movie (w/o English sub.)
    A fan made trailer

9. htom

htom Senior Member

10. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

I scored a used minty copy of Disney's 'Silly Symphonies' for about $4 today!

11. Rambler

Rambler Active Member

Dark Water (2002) - 7/10 - not as nerve-wracking as Nakata's previous Ringu, but this one is effective as a parental drama as well. Must admit I got teary eyed in the end which is very rare for me, especially in a freakin' horror
    The Illusionist (2006) - 5/10 - the twist is very predictable from the start and then you hope for the whole movie that there's more to it, but there's not much else interesting developing
    Le Samouraï (1967) - 9/10 - perfectly cool
    American Virgin (2009) - 3/10 - so many topless girls, not one of them really hot. Inexcusable.

12. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Haven't seen the movie myself but this review is classic :edthumbs:

13. Rachael Bee

I watched a double feature. First up was Desperate Journey. It's a 1942 war propaganda film. It stars Erroll "Rambo" Flynn and his trusty sidekick Ronald "sock 'em" Reagan. "...a five man invasion of Germany..." These crashed airmen reek havoc and death across the German Reich as they make their escape. These guys make the Inglourious Basterds seem like ineffectual punks... :laugh:

I also watched Wild Things on BD. I love films set in Florida and this one pops the top off the sleaze-o-meter. I love it.

14. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

North by Northwest on Blu-ray

15. TimM

TimM Senior Member

Blu-Ray is clearly reaching maturity if we are getting such classics as Wild Things released. Denise Richards was never better.:angel:

I hope they complete the trilogy.

16. TimM

TimM Senior Member

The West Wing is a great show. I'm in the middle of season 6 right now.

17. Rachael Bee

Wild Things has been out a long time. I think I got it in '07. It predates the advent of DTS Master. It has LCPM sound.

18. Rachael Bee

"I'm not worthy".... :laugh: I watched Wayne's World on BD. It was worth the paltry sum I gave for it to upgrade from the LD.

19. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Caddyshack on Blu-ray

20. "Justified", and "Alias Smith and Jones Seasons 2 & 3"--most people here probably don't remember the later since it aired in 1970-1973 and that's too bad--a fine western series in the tradition of "Maverick" and "The Rockford Files" (yep, you read that right--same sense of humor as that series) produced by Roy Huggins who worked on both shows.

21. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

John Carpenter's Assault on Precinct 13.
    I wish JC would be the next Godzilla director.

22. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

There's a combo I would have never thought of.

23. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Since Carpenter is known to be a big Godzilla fan.

24. Except HOW did he do the trick in "The Illusionist"? Truly a cinematic type of experience because the technology back then didn't exist to do it.

25. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

The twist on the Illusionist is supposedly predictable, as stated here and in many other reviews.

But I sure as heck didn't see it coming :hide: in fact I don't even remember exactly what the the twist was :shrug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.