Latest/recent UHD/Blu-ray/DVD movies watched?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Forum Resident

Gone in 60 Seconds on BR

2. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I know....I can smell the barbeque .... ;)

3. Rachael Bee

I've been busy buying movies but have not watched all that many of 'em because I've been fishing so much....

On UHD-BD I got Field Of Dream and it looked good! Anybody who remembers how poor it looked on LD and DVD will likely be shocked by this one. I got Hannibal on UHD-BD. I thought it looked decent but the audio might be the weakest I've heard on a UHD disc. I also got The Natural on UHD-BD and I watched both versions of the film. I'd never seen the Director's Cut before. I think it was silly to make a director's cut and imagine it might have to do with extending copyright more than anything else....??? I have not viewed Batman and 13 Hours The Secret Soldiers Of Benghazi, both on UHD-BD.

I'm doing my best to keep Kino in biz.....the only one of my new Kino titles watched is Nixon. Left to go are: The Border, Mississippi Burning, The Silent Partner, Money For Nothing, and They Might Be Giants...a personal favorite that's gonna get watched soon.

I also got a copy of Draft Day because it was cheap and my brother wants to see it again and I've never seen it.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

...ack! ack! ack!!!

Rachael Bee likes this.
  5. Rachael Bee

"....yodd-a yodd-a yodd-a laddy-whoo...born to lose I've lived my life in vain, every dream has only brought me pain, yodd-a laddy-hoo...." ;) "....yodd-a martin-whoo, die whoo-whoo-doo....

6. Rachael Bee

I watched 13 Hours The Secret Soldiers Of Benghazi on UHD-BD last night. I liked the movie. It was loud. I'm surprised that the neighbors didn't call the police to report gunfire.... ;)

7. Al Kuenster

According to Kino the 5.1 on the Nixon Director's Cut is out of sync they are offering replacement discs through their website, FYI.

Rachael Bee likes this.
  8. Rachael Bee

Thanks Al! I have not watched that one yet....:)

Al Kuenster likes this.
  9. Al Kuenster

Assassination(Charles Bronson)

10. Slack Babbath

Slack Babbath Forum Resident

A Field In England

Just rewatched it . A dreamlike ,dark , sometimes puzzling , psychedelic tale set during the English Civil war .
    Beautifully shot and acted (Sheersmith puts in a particularly tremendous performance as Whitehead) .

11. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Forum Resident

A nice movie with Hayley Mills.
    [​IMG]

12. Al Kuenster

Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe BR. Seen this several times still enjoy it.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  13. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Forum Resident

I wish they’d release this on Blu-Ray.
    [​IMG]

PhantomStranger and Al Kuenster like this.
  14. Graham

Graham Forum Resident

Scum (1979). New Indicator blu-ray.

15. Al Kuenster

I saw a used copy of that recently at my local Zia's, have not seen the extended cut.

16. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Forum Resident

"I Want To Hold Your Hand" not as good as I remember but mildly amusing with clever work arounds without actually showing the Beatles on Camera. Eddie Deezen should have won an award for ...something. "There's nothing about elevators that I don't know!"

17. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Forum Resident

Grab it & watch it. It’s great!

The last “Narnia” movie was Fox & not Disney. Now the whole set is Disney. I think it’s time to drop in on Narnia & see how the kids (now adults) are doing. I’m hoping!

Al Kuenster likes this.
  18. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

The Fly (1986)

Name of the Rose (1986)

Both on blu-ray (the second one being a Scandinavian import - as far as I could make out it wasn't domestically available in the UK).

19. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff Thread Starter

Just watched Glass and Bumblebee on UHD.

The former was worth it for James McAvoy's performance but otherwise a bit underwhelming.

The latter was an enjoyable mash-up of an 80s "magical friend" movie and a Transformers movie. It's no ET, but dare I say it's better than Short Circuit. :)

20. Al Kuenster

Top Secret on dvd this needs to be remastered on BR, at least I don't think it's on BR.

21. mBen989

mBen989 Forum Resident

The Groove Tube

[​IMG]

Marble Index likes this.
  22. Al Kuenster

Doc Hollywood (Michael J. Fox and the lovely Julie Warner)

23. Rachael Bee

I watched the Director's Cut of Nixon on BD. It was hard to enjoy Anthony Hopkins performance because the film stirred up so many unpleasant memories of the Vietnam War and all the social strife that went with it.

24. Al Kuenster

Any issues with the audio?

25. Rachael Bee

I got that impression in a few scenes, including a couple in the first 15 minutes. So much of the film is made of stock, period footage that you wouldn't know there. By the end I think I was so tired and out of sync that I wouldn't be able to tell what was out of sync more, me or the movie.... ;) I really took notice about the audio after what you said but just lost track as the movie went on and on and on....the last time I'd seen the film was the theatrical cut on Laserdisc. So, I don't really remember the theatrical cut at all well. I'm sure it was shorter! I can't bear watching this one again anytime soon. It stirred up things I'd rather not think about often or at all. There's too much war and draft tragedy in the back of my mind. I'd like for it to stay there, back row...

Is the audio problem supposed to be on both editions? They're on separate discs.