Latest/recent UHD/Blu-ray/DVD movies watched?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Forum Resident

Not sure on the sync issue, I know that Kino stopped selling the film until they fixed the issue, they said about a month before having it available again.

2. Graham

Graham Forum Resident

Scum (1977 BBC film)

3. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

Last night I watched a Chaplin short, THE ADVENTURER, from the Flicker Alley 'Chaplin Mutual' blu ray box.
    Then onto the feature presentation of DIARY OF A LOST GIRL on Kino blu ray.

A great time was had by all (me). :)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  4. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Just watched The Man Who Would Be Bond. The star looked a little too much like Mr Bean for my taste, and I gather it is hugely fictional, but if you want to see Lara Pulver spanked...

5. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Forum Resident

1-Carnival Of Souls - I always wanted to see this. I did & it was great! It has (to me)
    a "Night Of The Living Dead" feel. Highly recommended!

2-Limelight - WOW!!!!! If you're a Charles Chaplin fan, you must see this film!!! I
    was completely blown away by everything about it! This is a "Must See/Must Own"
    Criterion title! Amazing!!! Highly, highly recommended!!!
    [​IMG]

6. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I watched the Ulysses cut of Waterworld last night. It's the first time I've ever watched this movie, any cut, in HD and really enjoyed the picture quality and all the extra detail brought out.

Tokyo Ghost likes this.
  7. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

Gravity in 3D.
    Although I completely understand the reason why it was shot in 3D - the impact of being alone in space is heightened - it doesn't need the effect to make the point. But it sure was great to look at in 3D. Having said that, this is a short and sweet movie, exactly as I remembered it from the theatre. Just long enough to tell it's story without fuss or extras, well directed, some good metaphor used and great movie stars used well.

8. Al Kuenster

Forty Guns(Criterion)
    Police Story(Criterion)

9. ATR

ATR Senior Member

I rarely visit the visual arts corner but having recently gotten a 4K UHD player I've sold my laserdisc collection and picked up a few select titles in 4K UHD edition. I notice that this doesn't seem to be a thread limited to 4K, as some of the titles I see mentioned don't exist in 4K version. I have a question about 4K discs that I'm sure someone here can answer. Is there a difference between a 4K transfer, of the type that Criterion does, and a disc that is 4K UHD? I presume there isn't and that the edition of Dark Knight I ordered in the 4K version would can also be played by a 2K player and shown on a 2K rez screen, but just not in 4K. I don't have many 4K discs in my collection, a few Criterions only at this point. Ghost World, Dr. Strangelove, A Hard Day's Night, Don't Look Now, Short Cuts. All of these are what Criterion in their low key way refers to as '4K transfers'. I figure, though as I said, that it doesn't mean anything different from the deluxe versions from the bigger distributors issuing multi disc editions containing the original BluRay and the new 4K Ultra HD plus or minus HDR with stickers on the case attesting to that fact.

10. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

11. Yes, there is a difference. Actual UHDs have HDR and 4K resolution, while Blu-rays can only be mastered at 4K like the Criterions. While most of the best-looking Blu-rays come from 4K transfers, they pale by comparison in PQ to UHDs.

Browse some of the UHD reviews found below for more info.

4K UltraHD Archives - DoBlu.com

ATR likes this.
  12. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

[​IMG]

THE BLACK PIRATE (1926)
    Dir. Albert Parker
    Starring: Douglas Fairbanks and Billie Dove

Two strip Technicolor

Douglas Fairbanks plays a vengeful nobleman who disguises himself as a pirate in order to take down bad guys and save a princess.
    The story is really more of a collection of tropes and poor Billie Dove is given the thankless damsel role.
    She does what she can with it but her part pretty much consists of looking either frightened or twitterpated.
    While 'The Black Pirate' is a bit thin on plot, it makes up for it with pacing and technical polish and Fairbanks performs some of his most famous stunts.
    A rousing romp of an adventure!

Marble Index likes this.
  13. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Thanks for responding. I did some looking around yesterday and had essentially answered my own question. It's puzzling to see the array of new video formats and audio formats for video that are being introduced. I question whether these aren't niche markets that will disappear if they are not backwards compatible, pretty much as SACD did in audio. Or maybe the industry is into niche marketing. After all, there is still a market for SACD particularly in mainstream classical music. One format that appears to have little support anywhere is 3D. I saw the usual suspects on the list of 4K Ultra movies available. Generally blockbusters, relatively recently made, movies with reputations for special effects and sound. Very few of the kind of movies, for example, that Criterion is releasing in regular Blu Ray from '4k transfers' that are not actually 4K video. One movie that I would like to see in 4K is Blackhawk Down, but I read on video forum and at amazon that the sound appears to have some authoring problems.

14. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Forum Resident

Two very different movies. "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" & "Things To
    Come" - Both highly recommended!
    [​IMG]

Marble Index likes this.
  15. Al Kuenster

Police Story 2(Criterion)

DetroitDoomsayer likes this.
  16. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Picked up the Blu-ray of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. About time it made it to HD. My wife and I watched it over the weekend.

Al Kuenster likes this.
  17. 3D support on home video is dead in the United States. Hollywood has backed out of releasing 3D content on home video and the hardware manufacturers quit making the displays. The only way to get 3D discs now are importing them from Europe.

A few older catalog properties are hitting 4K UHD, most notably Kubrick's 2001, but it's definitely a format aimed at the latest and greatest A/V quality. So it's mostly new blockbusters and the like.

ATR likes this.
  18. ATR

ATR Senior Member

I had the opportunity to see 2001 last night. One of my personal favorites, which I saw on its first release in Cinerama when I was in high school. I was gobsmacked by the quality of both the visuals and the sound in the 4K UHD presentation. Have not watched the accompanying BluRay for comparison. I've seen it in the 25th anniversary edition on laserdisc, on DVD, and last year the new 70 mm print struck under the supervision of Christopher Nolan and accompanied to theaters by Keir Dullea. This was far better. The visual detail on the screens they're viewing and the seamlessness of the matte work was impressive. In the past I've been able to tell that the views of the interiors of the space vehicles through windows and into the cockpit are projected on to the models. Not last night. The 70 mm print was fine, but not as outstanding in detail, and the music sounded slightly distorted. The music sounded fine last night. My only problem was the fact that I don't have Dolby Atmos and some of the dialogue was a bit low. Also, I was listening to the newly remixed sound track and I thought there were slight synchronization problems, particularly in the scenes on the space station prior to the descent to the moon.
    I think that unless Criterion wants to take it up there won't be many releases of foreign, art house, or older movies in 4k UHD which is too bad. As it is, though, I'll be watching Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Blackhawk Down, Bladerunner, Unforgiven, and 2001 until the cows come home.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  19. Al Kuenster

How is the audio and video?

20. Al Kuenster

Moonraker BR

21. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Forum Resident

Today:
    First Blood 4K (1982)

Tokyo Ghost likes this.
  22. Al Kuenster

Deep Rising BR

23. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

An improvement over the DVD. Much sharper with added detail compared to the softness of the DVD. The DVD is a tad more saturated but its contrast is heavy, crushing the blacks a bit. The blu-ray is brighter/lighter and looks more filmlike while the DVD looks a touch smeared. Also, the DVD has a slight blue cast. I’ll add that the picture on the DVD looks ever so slightly stretched.

So I wish the blu-ray had a little more saturation like the DVD but other than that it’s a stronger picture.

Audio is better on the blu-ray too but it hardly can compare to modern action films.

24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

CONSPIRACY THEORY

25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

how does it look?