Latest/recent UHD/Blu-ray/DVD movies watched?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Leon and Mathilda :)

Graham likes this.
  2. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Forum Resident

Cliffhanger 4K UHD :-popcorn:

3. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Laura (the B&W film). Not the best noir but some great performances - Vincent Price was different!

Chris Gerhard and Al Kuenster like this.
  4. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Forum Resident

woody allen's "Wonder Wheel". I've seen about 1/2 of his films and I'd place in his top 10. FYI, I despised Interiors, think Annie Hall and Manhattan are two of the most overrated films ever made, "Stardust Memories" and "Radio Days" are pretty good, and am momentarily amused or distracted by much of the rest of what I've seen of his.

W.W. acting by all four principals (Jim Belushi, Justin Timberlake, Juno Temple and especially Kate Winslet) is spectacular. The 'joke' is a lifeguard with literary pretensions not realizing he's been the catalyst for a very Eugene O'Neill or Ibsen like situation that he aspires to write.

Two long scenes in particular, 1/2 through at the birthday party and near the end when all the conniving comes apart, are brilliantly directed - no cuts, just deft camera movements following the actors. I imagine the long takes were both a challenge and yet afforded the actors to stay deeply in character. The effect is not unlike being transported right onto the stage of a very well acted drama. The entire setting on the Boardwalk and Coney Island is imaginatively, dynamically realized. The only problem is that one of the characters is a bit too articulate. But that's woody.

I'm guessing this is one of the films that will be re-appraised and rediscovered.

5. Graham

Graham Forum Resident

The Grand Duel BR

PhantomStranger likes this.
  6. Al Kuenster

The Rundown on DVD

7. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I have it at home. How is the film?

8. Graham

Graham Forum Resident

Above average spaghetti western - probably Van Cleef’s last good one.

budwhite likes this.
  9. Al Kuenster

The Princess Bride BR (Criterion)

10. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I got Blue Velvet, Klute, and Do The Right Thing from the Barnes & Noble sale. I've watched Klute so far. On UHD-BD, I got Glory and The Doors. I watched Glory last night. It had a very film-like amount of grain in it, just right in my opine. I also watched The Dam Busters on Wee-Junn B BD.....in 1.75-1 ratio. It might be the first OAR version for the home? It was dam good! ;)

11. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

[​IMG]

THE EIGHT DIAGRAM POLE FIGHTER (1983)
    Dir. Lau Kar-leung
    Starring: Gordon Liu, Kara Hui, Alexander Fu Sheng

The evil Song Dynasty general Pan Mei entraps Yang family warriors into a tragic battle that leaves almost their entire clan killed.
    While one brother (Fu Sheng) returns home a traumatized shell, the other, Yang Wu-lang (Gordon Liu), seeks refuge in a monastery,
    where he develops the invincible eight diagram pole fighting technique.
    But this life of spiritual solace does little to tame his desire for vengeance.
    When his sister (Kara Hui) is captured by Pan, Yang emerges for a final showdown.

Lau Kar-lueng has either directed of was responsible for the action direction of all of my favorite kung-fu films.
    His superb action choreography is sorely missed in today's films.
    A real kung-fu/martial arts master translating his real life skills to beautiful on screen action sequences in a violent ballet.

Dave Garrett and PhantomStranger like this.
  12. Charlie Says comes out next week on Blu-ray. This is yet another film about Charles Manson and the horrific murders, but does such a terrific job at character development the subject feels fresher than normal. Goes over Manson's preoccupation with the Beatles' Helter Skelter and some of his loopier ideas about music.

Charlie Says Blu-ray Review - DoBlu.com

13. Rachael Bee

I watched October Sky on BD this afternoon. I like it a lot....

Michael likes this.
  14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Terminator 3...BD

15. Michael

me too!

16. Michael

it's pretty brutal at times...I did not find it funny...: )

17. Rachael Bee

Most of October Sky was shot within 40 miles of Knocksville in the "coal mountains" northwest of Oak Ridge. There's beaucoups of abandoned coal mines in east Tennessee. That spot where they shot off the rockets likely has Deer and Elk grazing on it these days.

Michael likes this.
  18. Rachael Bee

My brother got a copy of Alita Battle Angel on UHD-BD. I watched it last night. He slept through the second half. He had one too many drinks to do so because the second half is generally LOUD! I thought the flick was decent. It was better than I anticipated. After Alita I was ready for something funny and I put on The Absent Minded Professor. He slept through it too.

Michael likes this.
  19. Graham

Graham Forum Resident

Don't Look Now 4K

PhantomStranger likes this.
  20. The Pinhead

The Pinhead SLEAZY SOUTHAMERICAN CAVEMAN

21. Michael

thanks cool...did you ever go to the site?

22. Michael

my wife and I really enjoyed Alita...I was surprised...looking forward to the sequel...

23. Michael

Terminator...been watching the franchise in reverse order. : )

24. vinyl_puppy

vinyl_puppy Forum Resident

Captain Marvel 4K

25. mBen989

mBen989 Forum Resident

Under the Silver Lake