Latest/recent UHD/Blu-ray/DVD movies watched?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

OK, thanks...

3. Kiko1974

Kiko1974 Forum Resident

I received the UK UHD BD of Terminator Salvation (yes, I know the movie is not good) last week and I watched it on the weekend. Coming from Sony, which has the rights worldwide except for the US and Canada that is owned by Warner Bros.
    I must say first that the Warner Bros. US looks worse than the Sony UK 1080p BD, the US BD seems to have some kind of filtering aplied to picture, the Sony UK BD looks sharper with no sign to my eyes of edge enhacement.
    How does the UK UHD BD looks? Just a bit better than its BD counterpart. The movie has a dirty look with muted colors and 2K to 4K upscaling and an HDR pass doesn't make it look much better. It makes a gentle use of HDR, sharpness is marginally improved and color looks much the same as the BD despite the use of Wide Color Gamut.
    On the audio side there's no Dolby Atmos or DTS: X remix, just the same 5.1 mix used on the BD that for my taste doesn't have the deep bass the US Warner Bros BD has. Maybe the difference in bit depth has something to do, the US Warner Bros. BD has a 48/24 mix while the UK Sony BD and UHD BD is only 48/16.
    In general FX have aged well except for some scenes shot with a green screen like the first strike again Skynet's facility where real picture looks badly integrated with the CGI FX.

4. Michael

Dean Martin Matt Helm...

5. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Forum Resident

started watching Star Trek Discovery Season 2 BR

6. budwhite

7. HenryH

HenryH Forum Resident

8. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Mad Max (1979) (Blu Ray): I had been meaning to check this out for years. But the box set wasn't on the cheap side when I was a teen - anyway, today I went for it. 20 bucks was a very good price, after all :) I found this to be a very good movie despite the obvious, budget-indebted flaws which rendered some of the explosions VERY strange-looking. The motorcycle gang is wonderfully sadistic, as are the police officers - resulting in some graphic, quite realistic-looking violence. The plot development and editing were rather rough, to be honest. You can feel that something like "post production" only really became a thing with part 2. But still, I very much enjoyed this. Not one minute wasted. :righton:

Edit: I forgot. This really reminded me of spaghetti westerns, especially Leone and Corbucci.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  9. budwhite

10. budwhite

11. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I didn't get to this in time for Halloween so I am watching them now.

[​IMG]
    Watched The Invisible Man, Bride Of Frankenstein and Wolf Man last night.

Grand_Ennui and budwhite like this.
  12. budwhite

13. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

Salo (The 120 Days of Sodom) (1975, Pasolini) (Criterion BR):

Dinner and a movie?...not with this one.
    "Salo" has been infamous for as long as it's been around. Pasolini's free adaptation of deSade, with other literary elements thrown in, is set in the WW2 Italian Fascist 'puppet state' of Salo, and is a a harrowing examination of man's evils towards man.

Pasolini was easy to hate by many: a gay radical film-maker and intellectual who pushed boundaries his whole career, and this tends to overshadow the film as a film, especially if you haven't seen it.
    The basic story is of an Italian President and his upper-class friends who design an orgy in a villa with which to re-affirm all they believe in (and are obsessed with) in terms of human superiority, sexual deviance and brutality.
    WW2 is ending, and the feeling is "one last time, for the good times" before their horrid world collapses.

How is the film, then, apart from its awful reputation?
    For starters, it is very well made.
    Tonino Delli Colli was the DP (shot many spaghetti Westerns, among other things) and the images, with muted colors, strike a great balance between decay and beauty.
    Score by Ennio Morricone, costumes by Danilo Donati, production design by Dante Ferretti...top notch names all around.
    Pasolini and the cast set up the story well, with anticipation building as the "victims" are rounded up.

It's pointless to describe the horror and disgust on display as the film moves on, as that is Pasolini's intent. The film is like a baroque play with set pieces illustrating each "circle" of initiation.
    Things get decadent and nauseating, punctuated only by the periodic sound of passing Allied bombers overhead to indicate the end is coming...

The film is not an "exploitation" film or a plain straight-up "shocker"; it's very much an "art" film at heart. Pasolini knows when to jolt and when when to show restraint. The problem with the jolts is, you are not likely to forget the images any time soon. The viewer is left to ponder to what depths one would sink in similar circumstances, be it as perpetrator or as victim.

What to compare "Salo" to? I can think of only two films that similarly explore the idea of total debasement in the pursuit of something...higher: "La Grande Bouffe/The Great Feast" by Marco Ferreri, about the food orgy in the French villa, and "Melancholy of the Angels", the German hard-core horror film.

Criterion's 2K transfer is solid; it doesn't have the pin-sharp grain of a newer 4K scan, but the film looks organic and sounds great. A newer scan is available on a British disc.

C.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  14. FredCamp

FredCamp Forum Resident

Full disclosure: i still get DVDs in the mail from Netflix. Whatever that makes me, I am. Anyway, I got and watched the DVD of a film entitled 99 Homes. Very good film. I only knew about it because of those sometimes annoying trailers that appear before the feature.

15. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Spectre

Not one of Bond’s best by any stretch of the imagination.
    And I like Daniel Craig less and less with each succeeding movie

16. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

The Neon Demon (2016)

Two hours of my life I'll never get back!

Utter sh*te.

mikeyt likes this.
  17. Michael

Easy Virtue BD

18. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

This isn't really a movie per se, but last night I watched "The Rolling Stones-Rock and Roll Circus" on DVD...

PhantomStranger likes this.
  19. budwhite

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    PhantomStranger and Al Kuenster like this.
  20. budwhite

21. Graham

Graham Forum Resident

Looks like Bud White has had a shipment of titles from UK distributors, most notably Arrow?

22. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Forum Resident

Caleb Deschanel's "Crusoe", a idiosyncratic adaptation of Robinson Crusoe. Interesting but awkwardly paced. Had the sense some elemental narrative material was chopped out of this brief 90 minute film.

23. Michael

24. budwhite

Yes, I have about 50-60 titles from Arrow. I ordered 27 on their last sale in Oktober

25. budwhite

It's not a great movie but it's fun and the effects are very good. It has Patrick Stewart pre Picard and a lovely french modell who appears nude throughout the film.

Michael likes this.