Latest/recent UHD/Blu-ray/DVD movies watched?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Scope J

Scope J Forum Resident

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

BD-What About The Morgans

3. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

"Kid Vengeance"

4. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Forum Resident

"Angel Has Fallen" - Entertaining but not as good as "O.H.F."
    "I Married A Witch" - Another great Criterion release!
    [​IMG]

Al Kuenster likes this.
  5. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I believe the real story is that someone at United Artists forgot to renew the rights, so the film unintentionally lapsed into public domain. Of course, the assassination years later of his friend JFK did not make Sinatra inclined to pursue the rights.

There have been many PD issues (some good, some bad), but there was a Blu-ray release authorized by the Sinatra estate several years ago, with commentary by Frank Sinatra, Jr. Easily found: Amazon.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

A Man for All Seasons. Very moving, and can't help but think of recent events.

Surprising that I didn't recognize John Hurt. The voice seemed familiar but I couldn't place the face except by reading the credits.

FredCamp likes this.
  7. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I watched Ad Astra on UHD-BD last night. It's a beautiful looking disc and the Atmos audio rises up when needed. I enjoyed the flick.

longdist01 likes this.
  8. Rachael Bee

I've had that happen with John Hurt in other films. He's more chameleon like than it seems possible at times.

John B Good likes this.
  9. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Logan 4k UHD. Opened up the sealed steelbook I bought a couple of years ago. It also has a black & white version (is it the same but just black & white?). Well anyway, this movie is fantastic. Started out kinda slow but more than made up for it later. First time I had seen the movie. The extras are on the standard Blu-ray. The deleted scenes are excellent.

Al Kuenster likes this.
  10. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

Logan's Run (the HMV collector's blu-ray/DVD double pack)

It's safe to say that time has not been kind to this movie....

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  11. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

Silent Running (Eureka Masters of Cinema BD)

And time ain't been too kind to this one either....

12. Graham

Graham Forum Resident

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood 4K

Al Kuenster likes this.
  13. Uncle Meat

Uncle Meat Forum Resident

Yes... straight through

LSP2003 likes this.
  14. Rachael Bee

I watched another 4K double feature. The first one was Cold Pursuit. I thought it had a novel, interesting style but it was a tale of brutal murders but had an ending like a European art house movie. It ended up rather average in my mind. Then came, Jumanji Welcome To The Jungle. It was fun all over. I really enjoyed it. The Atmos audio was really good.

15. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Forum Resident

Visconti's "The Leopard" (3 hour version with Burt Lancasters voice dubbed by an Italian Actor). Quite impressive. If for me it doesn't quite live up to its reputation, it comes very close. Like all great film, it reverberates so I'm still pondering. But a few initial thoughts: Lancaster is sublime - within 10 years he played a giddily barbaric outlaw in "Vera Cruz" and the cold as an arctic shiv Columnist in "Sweet Smell of Success". And here, an 1860's Italian Aristocrat watching his world slip away. All beyond convincingly, with other roles in between.

It's epic in scope, but mostly a series of small moments that cumulatively build into the final extended ballroom sequence. The most telling moments are glances, slightly pained expressions, gestures with no dialogue. while the pace is leisurely and I think a few scenes go on a bit long, it's 3 hour length is what's needed to tell the story. If you get lost in it, as I did, 4 hours wouldn't be a problem.

In light of the political turmoil that has racked Italy since after WWII, and other countries these days, its foundational message of "Things must change to remain the same' seems prescient, if not of the moment.

Yes, the influence on Godfather and Martin Scorcese (excepting Boxcar Bertha!) is quite apparent.

budwhite and Graham like this.
  16. Graham

Graham Forum Resident

Barry Lyndon, Criterion BR

Al Kuenster likes this.
  17. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Forum Resident

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4K UHD one of QT's better films IMO. I like his ending better than the actual events in 1969.

Michael likes this.
  18. Rachael Bee

I watched The New Centurions on Twilight Time BD. The PQ is not all that good in many of the night scenes. I like the movie. It features George C. Scott and he really cranks my tractor.

19. Michael

the guy is a serious dude! damn he puts his all in any role he plays...

20. Michael

thanks Bob!

Bob F likes this.
  21. Michael

Dear John BD

22. vinyl_puppy

vinyl_puppy Forum Resident

Close Encounters of the Third Kind, special edition version in 4K.

23. Graham

Graham Forum Resident

Blade Runner 4K
    Thunderbolt & Lightfoot BR
    Phantom Thread 4K
    The Red Shoes BR
    The Criminal (1960) BR

24. Michael

Zulu

Bubbamike likes this.
  25. Michael

well it sure made for a happy ending...just deserts were served up with a wack...

Al Kuenster likes this.