Latest/recent UHD/Blu-ray/DVD movies watched?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

is that a usual rule of thumb?

2. Kiko1974

Kiko1974 Forum Resident

Yes, I read about Sensurround years ago. I think it was a good concept and the fact that today's systems have a .1 channel proves that. The first multichannel movie I saw at the cinema with stereo surrounds and a .1 channel was Jurassic Park. You can imagine the impact it had on me being 19 moreso keeping in mind that most cinemas on my area were still monophonic as I live in a Spanish province far from Madrid. Watching Stargate on release day on a THX certified with Dolby Digital cinema is also a day I remember vividly.
    I think the waste with Sensurround was that despite the impact the .1 channel had on sound and how it got you into the movie, sound was still monophonic.
    What I don't know is how such deep bass were recorded onto an optical track, or maybe they used a tape player sincronized with the movie?

3. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

For a newer show, yes. And most TV shows; network, no longer get blu-ray releases. That’s been happening for a long time now.

Michael likes this.
  4. Michael

gotcha...yes, Shout puts out TV shows on DVD at BD prices...

audiomixer likes this.
  5. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Forum Resident

The ones I watched over the past couple days:
    Child's Play - Got it to continue my Chucky movie collection. The originals are better.
    Overcomer - Highly recommended by my customers. I watched it, loved it, highly recommend it too!
    The Story Of Temple Drake - Another great film from Criterion! Highly recommended!
    X-Men Dark Phoenix - Very good & it may be because I never read the comics so the story is new to me.
    [​IMG]

6. FredCamp

FredCamp Forum Resident

I bought the Criterion TEMPLE DRAKE on a whim, somewhat. I knew the title, and I'm a fan of William Faulkner, but I had never seen the film. It was a true revelation on many levels. As usual, Criterion provides great extras.

7. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Forum Resident

Rambo-Last Blood 4K UHD. Brutal as usual but OK. I liked Rambo better though.

8. Michael

I Come In Peace BD

9. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

Zombieland on BD.

I do like that film - Woody Harrelson is always good value. And not forgetting the surprise cameo by....(it's been 10 years, do I still need a spoiler tag?)

Is the 4K a worthwhile upgrade, I wonder?

And is the sequel any good?

10. Michael

I'm banking it is!

11. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

It's been suggested The Orville could get a blu-ray box set after season 3 - apparently there is some precedence for this with shows that jump from another network to Hulu (I forget what the precedence is, however).

In any event, I am holding off the DVDs till I see if the BDs materialise - it's no biggy, I have plenty to watch in the meantime ;)

budwhite and Al Kuenster like this.
  12. longdist01

longdist01 Forum Resident

Until the End of the World (1991)
    5hr cut [Criterion] Blu-Ray

Al Kuenster and Maranatha5585 like this.
  13. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I finished up season 2 of The Orville Sunday night. The DVD's look about as good as is possible but the content begs for a better format. Last night I watched Lust In The Dust on DVD. This one isn't cut like the older one I have but if anything, it looks even worse. I wish this one would get a proper release but the director, Paul Bartel, is long deceased and maybe nobody has an interest in fighting for it...? It's a very funny movie....

14. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Forum Resident

Ad Astra 4K UHD not great but I liked it, looked and sounded good.

15. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Just watched "Yesterday" on BR. Some nice songs in it.

16. Rachael Bee

I got Gemini Man on UHD-BD. I ended up watching the BD. The UHD disc has a frame rate of 60 fps. I tried it in my Panasonic 9000 and Oppo 203. The motion looked choppy to me in both players. As far as the movie goes, it was an interesting concept but didn't light my fire so much, average at best.

17. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

[​IMG]

Crimson Pirate[1952]. Fun and easy going.

18. Michael

Earth Vs. The Flying Saucers BD Colorized...

19. noname74

noname74 Openly Canadian

Rambo- Last Blood UHD

20. Rachael Bee

I watched all 6 episodes of season 2 of Fawlty Towers last night on BD. I think that these are 6 of the funniest shows ever put on TV. :thumbsup:

budwhite likes this.