Latest/recent UHD/Blu-ray/DVD movies watched?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Kaskade10729

Kaskade10729 Forum Resident

I don't...:p

Michael likes this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

cool thanks! LOL...

3. Michael

OK, that's cool. ; )

4. Kaskade10729

No, but what I meant was, in what way did you think it was "sickening"? Just because it was so bad, or because it had off-putting visuals or violence?

Michael likes this.
  5. Michael

mAYbe someday when it goes down in price or on sale...I don't do SF if I can help it...

6. Michael

NO, you have to watch it for yourself... LOL

7. Kaskade10729

I know what you mean about going down in price -- you can't believe what I just paid for Escape From LA because I wanted it now...:rolleyes:

But what don't you like about SF? I find their transfers are usually very satisfying (they did a great job with some scans of some of my favorites, such as Exorcist III).

Michael likes this.
  8. Kaskade10729

What's the problem, Michael? I'm just asking what made you feel it was "sickening," that's all. I'm not asking why that's your opinion or anything...

Michael likes this.
  9. Michael

I have no problem...???

10. Kaskade10729

You keep on saying "No...you'll have to watch it for yourself...." when all I am asking is why you felt the way you did about it -- I'm not asking you to divulge any plot twists or elements; I am genuinely curious what you meant by "sickening."

Is it super-violent or something?

Michael likes this.
  11. Michael

they usually don't do any extra work on their releases and they rarely go on sale ...totally overpriced...DVD media at BD pricing...just an overall drag. I don't care for them... I'm not going on again about this subject as there are some that love reminding me I've covered this before...LOL.

Ex3 ...love that! have it on DVD...

12. Michael

No..; )

13. Kaskade10729

DVD media? I was talking about their Blu-ray releases...

Also, I don't understand how you can say they don't do any "extra work" on their releases when they're normally remastered elements and film scans with a plethora of pretty great supplements.

If you don't want to carry on about this, I understand; I just didn't see how someone could say they don't do any extra work...

I had the Exorcist III DVD for years, too, but I gotta tell you -- ya haven't seen this film until you've seen what SF did on their Blu-ray with it (included a new 2K scan of the negative and the result is breathtaking in terms of detail). There's also a "Director's Cut" they cobbled together that mimics what Blatty's vision for the original project (Legion) could have been...a really good treat for fans (the theatrical cut is the preferred version though).

14. Kaskade10729

So what makes it sickening? Is it a lethargic, plodding plot?

15. Michael

OK, that's it! no more please.

16. Michael

Yes, and I told you I have it on DVD?

17. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

Last night I watched 'Werewolf in a Girls' Dormitory.' I was expecting something along the lines of 'I Was a Teenage Werewolf,' you know, b-movie drive-in fare aimed at teenagers, but it was actually a much more mature feature. Not a classic or anything, but there are some fleshed out characters, and adult themes explored here. The director really creates a distinct mood and ambience here as well. It was an Italian production dubbed into English which I didn't realize when I originally ordered it (blind buy during a sale). Recommended for fans of Italian horror and atmospheric, slow-burn horror, but not for fans of 50s/60s low budget exploitation drive-in fare. The original advertising was misleading on this one in my opinion.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Michael

have to check this one out...

19. Well for this SF, L.A. looks quite nice with a brand new 4K transfer, very nice looking. Beats the Paramount Blu (which was just the DVD transfer at higher rez), the special features (if you like those things) are pretty terrific. My only disappointed is the lack of a commentary from Carpenter and Russell. While SF may be expensive, generally, I like what they've done with their releases (The Deer Hunter which I'm watching now looks pretty awesome in 4K). Would I like them to be less expensive? Absolutely but, like Indicator or Arrow, they usually (not always mind you) make it worth while.

PhantomStranger and Michael like this.
  20. Michael

I prefer all the labels other than SF...but, I respect your opinion of them. Also I do own some of their releases...

wayneklein likes this.
  21. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

And the soundtrack is great too.

22. Kaskade10729

I don't know what your deal is, but it's somethin' that you don't want to talk about this film's plot; at any rate, we didn't think the film was bad at all. Not "sickening" in the least.

Michael likes this.
  23. Kaskade10729

You are not following me -- you said in your initial post that you feel like SF puts out DVD media at BD prices (something along those lines), and I had stated that I was originally talking about their Blu-rays (they're not really known for their DVD releases).

I know you own Exorcist III on DVD (I did too, as I stated, but sold it when I got Scream's Blu).

Michael likes this.
  24. Kaskade10729

I just ordered Escape From LA direct from Scream (I previously owned the non-anamorphic DVD from Paramount which was a travesty in the area of aliasing and other issues, but I don't believe this was the source of Paramount's original BD release because of these inherent problems...did the original BD exhibit nasty aliasing and shimmering?)….looking forwarding to watching it when it gets here.

My new Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-ray player doesn't allow for zooming of any aspect ratios, so I can't watch my old non-anamorphic discs anymore (the way they're supposed to be, blown up to their original ratios via a player's zooming controls) unless I use my display's controls, but I was going to replace the EFLA DVD anyway.

25. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

Bride of the Gorilla (1951) - Super-low budget flick with an interesting cast: Tom Conway, Lon Chaney, Barbara Payton and Raymond Burr.