Latest/recent UHD/Blu-ray/DVD movies watched?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Kaskade10729

Kaskade10729 Forum Resident

2. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I've been wanting Coneheads on BD for years. I finally found it. It's an Australian release. I thought it would be Wee-jun Locked to B but no. It played with my player set on either A or B.

3. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Spell Bound.

Never seen this before. The opening music was marvellous, but for the first 20 minutes it was laughable, and the stilted psychotherapy dialog was weird through-out, but it did have a great plot.

I immediately looked to see if I could find a cd of the music, but it seems hard to find. The golden age of issuing cds is over :(

4. Kaskade10729

5. Kaskade10729

6. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Forum Resident

Night Moves with Gene Hackman. An emotionally complex film that very gradually claimed its highly deserved reputation. It much more effectively demolishes the Private Eye mystique than Altman's (inane, imo) "Long Goodbye". Hackman does give one of his best performances, often in the reaction shots where he doesn't say anything. I understand Arthur Penn usually shot a lot of coverage, not wastefully but so he'd and editor Dede Allen would have latitude when constructing scenes, for the narrative rhythm as well as performance. That really paid off here.

Now to track down Mickey One, which I haven't seen in about 20 years.

7. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I watched Galaxy Quest on BD this morning. I'll never get tired of this movie.

Al Kuenster and Tim Lookingbill like this.
  8. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

A Matter of Life and Death (1946) - Powell & Pressburger masterpiece. Beautiful restoration on the Criterion BD.

9. John B Good

Totally by coincidence I watched High Anxiety last night, unaware that it was meant as a spoof of Hitchcock movies.

I had tears in my eyes during The Birds segment.

10. Kaskade10729

11. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Forum Resident

Rising Sun BR
    Pretty in Pink BR

Kaskade10729 likes this.
  12. HorseyRhymes

HorseyRhymes Active Member

Bohemian Rhapsody, Rocketman, Blinded by the light & Yesterday.

13. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Forum Resident

AI, War Of The Worlds, Tintin (Speilberg)
    Dark City
    Picked up this clutch of DVDs for a euro or two each (all double sets or special editions except for Tintin) and enjoyed all the bonuses.

Kaskade10729 likes this.
  14. Kaskade10729

15. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

An oldie. Frank Tashlin directed so it's a live action cartoon. Definitely of it's time and very un-PC. Features widescreen color footage of Eddie Cochran, Gene Vincent, Little Richard and the Treniers in stereo!
    [​IMG]

ClausH likes this.
  16. Is the commentary track any good? I purchased the bare bones Earlier Fox release. Is this worth upgrading for?

17. Kaskade10729

I assume you're referring to Pelham One Two Three?

If so, I haven't listened to any commentary as of yet; I only watched the trailer and the interview with actor Hector Elizondo (was okay). I never saw MGM's original Blu-ray release -- which is supposed to be the same transfer used for the Kino Lorber reissue I bought -- but I did own the MGM non-anamorphic DVD prior, and while I won't say it blows the DVD out of the water, it does exhibit significant improvement, specifically in the area of aliasing (jagged edges were all over the DVD; they're gone on the Blu), smeary-ness, source noise and shadow detail (on the DVD, you couldn't make out what was going on around the trains in the tunnels it was so murky and dark; on the Blu, you can actually see details in the shadows of those dingy tunnels).

But I'm sorry I can't help you out on the commentary track; as I said, as far as I know, these video transfers are the same, so if you're interested in the extras, I suppose it's worth a double dip. I only watched the Elizondo interview, as aforementioned, and it was kind of interesting....he talked about what it was like to work on the film, with the other stars, etc., but it was mainly fluff about his acting background. I haven't watched any other interviews on the disc yet.

wayneklein likes this.
  18. Yeah that’s kind of what I thought. If the commentary is good with plenty of details about the production I will usually go for it but I’m happy with the transfer on the MGM/Fox earlier Blu.

Kaskade10729 likes this.
  19. Kaskade10729

Not sure about the commentary; but since both transfers are the same, you're probably okay with the one you have video-wise.

wayneklein likes this.
  20. John B Good

Dark City is a favorite of mine. I'm looking forward to getting AI for my library.

21. John B Good

Another Hitchcock that I've never seen before. NOTORIOUS. Didn't care too much for it, too many stupid things. Silly title too.

22. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Forum Resident

Same here. I'd never heard of that film until I discovered it in the city library's collection a few years ago. A lovely, dark atmosphere in a strange era setting that turns out to be something other than one expects (not to spoil anything).

23. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

"Sands of Iwo Jima"

Al Kuenster likes this.
  24. nopedals

nopedals Forum Resident

Spellbound: The Classic Film Scores Of Miklos Rozsa is available as a CD on Amazon. Just one cut from Spellbound, though, and not the original recording. I have the LP, and had recently given it a spin, so it came to mind.

25. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Forum Resident

Or maybe Hitchcock was spoofing Mel Brooks all along....