Latest/recent UHD/Blu-ray/DVD movies watched?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Kaskade10729

Kaskade10729 Forum Resident

2. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

"The Bounty Man" starring Clint Walker

3. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I got Star Trek Next Generation, the whole series on BD. I watched the first three episodes, which included Encounter At Farport, the double length first show. The PQ looks pretty good. It beats the hell out of the bleeding reds and noise on the LD's I used to watch.

4. The Groundstar Conspiracy-a fun 70’s Techno thriller with George a Peppard & Michael Sarazin.

Al Kuenster likes this.
  5. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Forum Resident

Night of the Living Dead BR (Criterion)
    Sons of Katie Elder DVD

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  6. Kaskade10729

How does the Criterion Night of the Living Dead look? I have a budget DVD copy from Off Color Films/Fox, in full screen.

Does the transfer on the Blu-ray play back with pillarboxing on the sides of the image?

7. Kaskade10729

8. Al Kuenster

The film is 1.37:1, it looks and sounds good for a low budget film.

9. Kaskade10729

So on your 16:9 display, it exhibits with the side pillarboxing, correct? Even though it's a bit wider than 1.33:1?

10. Al Kuenster

Yes

11. Kaskade10729

Thanks; what kind of display do you have again?

Does the side pillarboxing bother you?

12. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

"Bullets Don't Argue"

13. Al Kuenster

I have an 2018 LG OLED 65" B8, I have a lot of older films that have the black sides and many WS films that have black above and below, it all depends on the aspect ratio.

14. Al Kuenster

Watched Groundstar Conspiracy BR last night. I'm a fan of George Peppard.

15. Rachael Bee

I watched District 9 on UHD-BD. The Atmos audio was a big improvement over the previous track. I wish there was a sequel to this one.

16. Kaskade10729

Yes, I am well aware of "letterboxing" -- which are the black areas on top and bottom of an image -- and that most scope widescreen films are released this way, specifically action-oriented titles. I was concerned about your acceptance of PILLARboxing, which is when full screen or slightly wider content is shown on a 16:9 screen. I am having to learn to live with this because my previous Blu-ray players, one Oppo and another Cambridge Audio, allowed for automatic stretching of 4:3 content to fill the screen, which I prefer -- NOT talking about LETTERboxing here with widescreen material -- and my current Panasonic UHD disc player does not. I can't stand it.

17. Kaskade10729

18. Kaskade10729

19. Al Kuenster

I prefer to watch films and TV shows in the original ratio, black bars on the sides never bothered me.

Graham and jhm like this.
  20. Kaskade10729

I see.

21. Rachael Bee

I sometimes watch narrow TV shows stretched if they look good. If it doesn't look good I'm fine with pillar bars in that case. I had my Oppo player stretch out the entire Star Trek Voyager series on disc. It looked good. Some stretch modes work for some things well. I always watch movies in OAR.

Al Kuenster and Michael like this.
  22. Kaskade10729

Just to add to my statement here -- I indeed do prefer watching 99.9-percent of content in their OAR. That's double-true for stuff filmed for widescreen. When it comes to the plethora of full screen DVDs and DVDs of films that only came with 4:3 transfers (and I have plenty of them in my library, due to the fact, mainly, that I was buying these discs when I first got into the format and was watching them on a small Sony 4:3 tube TV), I tended to prefer watching them stretched to fill the screen...don't know what it is, I just preferred them that way.

Now, with 2.40/2.35 widescreen -- I'd never distort and stretch that content to eliminate the letterboxing.

Al Kuenster likes this.
  23. Kaskade10729

Right -- my first generation Oppo BDP-83 (which I still own and need to have repaired; was the BEST upscaling Blu-ray player for DVD I ever owned) allowed for automatic stretching of 4:3 standard def content (in the setup menu, you had to select "16:9 WIDE" to set this), as did my Cambridge Audio CXUHD 4K UHD player...heck, even my first generation Panasonic DMP-BD10A did this with full screen DVDs. But these new generation Panasonic players, for whatever reason (dating back to the company's 2016 debut UHD player, the DP-UB900), do not allow for ANY adjusting of the output ratio or any zooming as the Oppos did. They're locked in a widescreen output, so there's no way to stretch 4:3 DVD content to fill the screen.

As you have found with some of your discs, I never had a problem with the way 4:3 DVDs looked stretched a bit by the player -- some say this makes every character look "short and fat," but it never bothered me. Interestingly, my wife, who usually wouldn't pick up on such things, mentioned that she can clearly see a difference between the way we watch some 4:3 DVD content now -- that is, with the pillarboxing on the sides -- and the way we used to watch them (stretched), specifically with regard to the way certain female characters in these mostly older films don't look so "bloated" anymore. :laugh:o_O:yikes:

24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

An American Werewolf in London...

25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

....most definitely a creepy movie...very well done. I have the BD...it works for me...too bad, there was talk and press but it never came to fruition. : (