Latest/recent UHD/Blu-ray/DVD movies watched?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

exactly...yea, A Hard Day's Night comes to mind...chopped off TOP Beatles heads...: )

2. Michael

me too..I never stretch anything except for the US Dollar..; )

Al Kuenster and jhm like this.
  3. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Ditto. I cannot take artificially stretched visual just to fill the screen; it drives me nuts. My in-laws used to get tired of me "fixing" their picture when they first got an HDTV to get it to display in the proper aspect ratio depending on the source. It's not as big of a deal these days as most content seems to be widescreen, including cropped versions of full screen video to make it into fake 16:9. Not may favorite practice, but I've seen it a fair bit.

4. Kaskade10729

Kaskade10729 Forum Resident

I only do this with 4:3 (i.e. FULL SCREEN) content -- or DID, in the past, with other disc players that would allow for it -- as I never cared for side pillarboxing for some reason (I know it's basically the same thing as letterboxing in a different orientation). I NEVER stretched any material that was in widescreen form to eliminate letterboxing, which is what the majority of non-enthusiast, more casual folks still tend to prefer (you can STILL hear people in stores like Best Buy or perhaps an uninformed family member asking why black bars still exist on a widescreen television, if you can believe that one; it's just too difficult to make them understand the whole aspect ratio thing and why the black areas preserve the artist intent, etc.).

But just to be clear, I was referring strictly to 4:3 content, such as full screen DVDs (of which I had many, for the reasons I previously explained), being stretched left to right a bit to fill the 16:9 frame. Amazingly, and whether you believe this or not, my previous disc players I used before the current Panasonic I'm running would actually do this stretching work automatically based on a player setting I would make, and there would be an acceptable amount of lateral stretch (to my eyes) wherein the characters didn't look that ridiculously wide.

5. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Understood. I was mostly thinking of 4:3 material that I can't stand stretched :)! That's why I "fixed" my in-laws set. It was always old school 4:3 TV stretched to 16:9.

6. Kaskade10729

Well, that's what I was referring to and prefer, as well; I truly have no problem with full screen content being stretched out a bit, and this is just preference...but I wanted to make it clear that I'm NOT a proponent for stretching native widescreen material.

What kind of content in particular are you referring to? TV transmissions?

What's weird is that our cable boxes, even though there's a setting for it, won't adjust so 4:3 transmissions will fill a widescreen set if hooked up to one...so programs like Forensic Files and other series shot in full frame show with the pillarboxing (and old films shown on channels like TCM, too). It just annoys me when I'm watching a film in darkened theater-like conditions and there's a vertical "sliver" of an image in the center of the screen -- this was most bothersome when I recently pulled out an old DVD copy of Full Metal Jacket to watch (as a good example), which was prepared for the DVD release by Warner Bros. as a full-screen presentation supposedly based on Stanley Kubrick's wishes. When watching it on my 65" display, with the pillarboxing, the film just felt "wrong" -- it wasn't engaging or encompassing, at all, even though this supposedly was the way Kubrick wanted it (granted, he did have small square 4X3 sets in mind)...

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
  7. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

"Against a Crooked Sky"

8. Michael

9. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I was primarily referring to the early days when HDTVs were rolled out. You couldn't really buy a standard CRT set, but a lot of TV broadcasting (in the U.S. at least) was still shown in 4:3, particularly older shows. This is when I saw a lot of stretched images as people in general seem to not like pillarboxing for some reason and want to "fill the screen". As I said, it drives me nuts but it's much less of an issue in 2020.

10. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Forum Resident

Last night watched Newman's Law BR starring George Peppard

11. Grand_Ennui

Last DVD movie I watched was the 2018 remake of "Death Wish"

12. Kaskade10729

Well, what can I say; to each their own. It doesn't bother me -- even still, I've been having to live with this, because, as I said, my current Panasonic disc player in the primary home theater doesn't allow for aspect ratio manipulation...so 4:3 content plays back with pillarboxing on the 16:9 screen. I can adjust this with the television's picture controls -- but what ends up happening is that I can't really judge how much the picture should be stretched with the Samsung custom directional controls, so it ends up being just an over-compensated really stretched out image. This is why I wish the disc player would allow for this.

With regard to it being less of an issue in 2020 -- in my particular case, because I own quite a few films in the 4:3 aspect on disc, it very much applies to me today; what also annoys me is the way that, on certain older DVDs, the trailers are encoded as non-anamorphic windowboxed content, and the player won't display them stretched to better fill the screen, which my older players did. This means the trailers play back in this utterly annoying windowboxed format (in these cases, I just fast-forward the trailers, but it annoys me), and there's really no way around it.

I also own a few concert DVDs (Fleetwood Mac, Metallica) and these have been encoded as full screen -- when watching a concert flanked by thick pillarbox bars, it's really not enjoyable, exciting or involving, to say the least.

This was a major misstep by Panasonic, IMO, and I'm not alone in how I feel, judging by the amount of comments regarding the "poor DVD attention" these new UHD players from the brand get from folks on Blu-ray.com and elsewhere.

But I do know what you're saying about, in this day and age, not so many shows and films being broadcast/shot in full screen...

13. Kaskade10729

14. Kaskade10729

15. Kaskade10729

16. Kaskade10729

17. Michael

The Day After Tomorrow...

Al Kuenster likes this.
  18. Kaskade10729

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Al Kuenster likes this.
  19. Kaskade10729

20. Grand_Ennui

"The Big Red One"

Graham and Al Kuenster like this.
  21. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

It was a double feature for me yesterday. I watched the sci-fi/ comedy Battlefield Earth on BD. I have leverage because I'm a man-animal.... ;) My second movie was The Pledge on BD. I really like this lesser known Jack Nicholson film.

22. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Forum Resident

Over the weekend watched Claudine (Criterion) BR and Hollow Man Superbit DVD

23. Kaskade10729

24. Kaskade10729

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  25. Kaskade10729

For tonight...just picked this up at a local shop that buys and sells all sorts of media (had store credit after selling a stack of old DVDs):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Al Kuenster likes this.