Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Latest/recent UHD/Blu-ray/DVD movies watched?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Class Of Nukem High BD

profholt82 and gitters like this.
  2. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I watched Continental Divide on BD with John Belushi. It was the first time I'd viewed it since at the cinema back in the early 80's. The mountain scenery is gorgeous and the movie is quite tolerable. A little Belushi goes a long ways!

3. Kaskade10729

Kaskade10729 Forum Resident

4. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

One thing about Roddy in "My Friend Flicka"-While his British accent isn't very strong in that film, it's a little funny that he has a bit of a British accent while his film parents have none. The farm hand had an accent too, but he wasn't related to Ken (Roddy's character).

5. Rachael Bee

This is easy just like shooting elephants at ten paces with a shotgun! ;) Obviously Roddy was adopted and brought by his new parents to the United States. The farm hand is just as easy. Farm hounds want the hell out of Ireland and Scotland all the time. There's been a bunch of every kind of Brit here in Knocksville. Me, personally, I have met no farm hands but I was never in 4 H Club. The Brits I've known have been university professors, groovy dancers, musicians, war brides, and I suspect, just suspect, secret agents. ;)

Why I even met Ozzie Osbourne in Gatlinburg, Tennessee in 1970. Well, it wasn't exactly Gatlinburg. It was the woods just outside the city limits just before you get into the Smoky Mountain National Park. He and Bill, his drummer, were doing the same thing as my group, looking for the secret place where grass doobies were legal. So, we all had a potty party, puff, puff. I wasn't sure if Ozzie was having us on. Their pictures were not on their early albums. I had to look in Tiger Beat or one of those type magazines to confirm what I saw was who I saw. It was Ozzie.

Here's the funny part. They told us that they were in town to harass Jesus freaks that were having a convention because there was a gap in their touring schedule. That turned out to be true. There was a convention. They did the harassing. We shadowed the two of 'em for a while. They did things like take literature from the freaks and set it on fire. We were not always close enough to hear what they said to folks. I was close enough to Ozzie to hear him tell one guy, "f*** god, praise the devil" at one point. I think that it took less than an hour for the Gatlinburg Police to confront them. We decided to walk on by them and see if we could hear what the police were telling them. We heard as we leisurely walked by. The police were telling them to go straight to their hotel or be arrested.... :laugh: That was one very strange day especially for 1970!

In another reality, Ozzie would make a fine farm hand.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  6. Rachael Bee

I watched the Marx Brothers on BD last night. A Night In Casablanca was the one. I'd never seen it before. I bet it has been 20 years since I watched one of my several Marx Brothers Laserdiscs. Marxism is still fun after all these years! There's some really good music played in this one. :thumbsup:

7. gitters

gitters Forum Resident

Bill and Ted Face the Music

8. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Forum Resident

Last night I watched Vigilante BR 4K UHD starring Robert Forster and Fred Williamson. :angel:

9. Rachael Bee

I've wanted to get that disc but I want it to go on sale. $35 is too much $$$$.

10. Kaskade10729

11. Kaskade10729

12. Al Kuenster

I know it's pricey, I doubt if it will go on sale but you never know. I had never seen the film before but I'm a fan of Robert Forster so had to get it.
    The Banker which recently came out is another good one.

Rachael Bee likes this.
  13. Rachael Bee

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang on BD was last night's hilarious movie.

14. Al Kuenster

The Hunt for Red October BR last night.

15. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

"Billy Jack"- For being the title character of the film, he really isn't in it too much, at least not as much as someone who's the title character should be/should have been.

16. Kaskade10729

17. Lord of the Rings 4K, Blind Fury, The Man Who Would Be King

alan967tiger, Al Kuenster and Karnak like this.
  18. Al Kuenster

Patriot Games tonight on BR.

19. Al Kuenster

The Sum of All Fears DVD

20. Rachael Bee

I watched the Dunkirk UHD-BD again last night. Good movie.....

Al Kuenster likes this.
  21. Kaskade10729

22. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Forum Resident

Cisco Pike, 1972 Hippie Noir with Kris Kristofferson and Gene Hackman. Unburnished tale of down and out songwriter forced into dealing bunch of pot by a crooked cop. Evocative locations of the more run down parts of L.A. Kris holds his own against Gene, mainly by not 'acting' but by conveying a wary weariness. Harry Dean Stanton poignant as an addict running out of overdoses. IIRC it was actually filmed in 1970, and somehow catches that 'end of the 60's' and how that 70's 'everyone is on the make' feel.

A decent enough movie if you're expectations aren't high, and a potent antidote to the two recent Laurel Canyon docs.

23. Al Kuenster

Diamonds are Forever BR

24. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

I've watched a movie each of the past 3 evenings.

[​IMG]
    Jurassic Park (the first one). I thought it was in dolby vision because that was on the packaging, but apparently only the latest Jurassic World movie is. This new 4k disc is still the best the original has looked on home video though.

[​IMG]
    Action USA is a crazy 80s b-movie that really lived up to its name. Damn, that was an entertaining movie. I picked it up during the last Vinegar Syndrome sale and I'm glad I did. Just be sure to check your brain at the door. :laugh:

[​IMG]
    Return of the Fly
    Not quite as good as the original in my opinion, but still pretty good. It came out a year after the original and also starred the great Vincent Price. There is some intrigue and backstabbing to go along side the science plot in this one which gave it an element of suspense.

25. Kaskade10729