Laura Nyro - A Little Magic, A Little Kindness - The Complete Mono Albums Collection 07-07-2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Luxury_Liner, May 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Joe,

plenty of anal folks here that would love to hear the story of how you got your hands on those masters. I would think it would be an interesting tale. 51 year old master tapes don't turn up every day in playable condition.

fr in sc, JDeanB and audiomixer like this.
  2. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Next up needs to be Gonna Take A Miracle. Just sayin'...:)

3. JMarch3035

JMarch3035 Forum Resident

Long story short is that the incredible diligence of both the vault teams at Universal Music (of which Verve is now a part) and Sony Music (to whom rights were transferred at the time of the original "First Songs" release on Columbia) made this possible. It's been a labor of love for us at Real Gone and The Second Disc for over two years now to work with them to find the original tapes for both the albums and singles, and make this package possible. The MTAND tapes were, in fact, never truly lost, but rather (mis)placed with those of other period Verve artists. Once they were found, the project was on! I can't stress enough how grateful I am - and I hope you all will be - to the amazing teams at Universal and Sony that they were not only located, but in pristine condition, and could be used for this project.

4. Finchingfield

Finchingfield Forum Resident

Joe, this is so incredible !!! Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU !!!

While you're here, I'm sure a lot of us would also like to know: have the tapes for the original stereo mix of MTAND been found as well? The original mix was only featured on the first issue of MTAND, on the Verve Folkways label. The subsequent reissues on Verve Forecast and Columbia added reverb, remixing plus distortion, and some channel switching. We would all die right now if the original stereo mix tapes have been found. Cheers n crisps !!!

Hep Alien and JDeanB like this.
  5. JDeanB likes this.
  6. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

July 7 release day according to amazon

bluemooze and JDeanB like this.
  7. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

God Bless You!!!

8. audiomixer

JDeanB likes this.
  9. Finchingfield

Joe, lemme also throw this out. Laura fanatics also know that prior to her leaving Verve for Columbia, she recorded some tracks for what was to have been her 2nd album on Verve. It was given a name, Soul Picnic, a label number, and was advertised in the music trades. According to Michele Kort's Laura bio, at least 3 tracks were cut before Laura went over to Columbia, but when she left Verve the album was started over from scratch with a new producer, and it eventually became Eli & The 13th Confession.

Question: were any of these Soul Picnic/pre-Eli tracks discovered along with the Verve Laura tapes? What an amazing find THAT would be. Thanks again !!!

Hep Alien and JDeanB like this.
  10. rainbow dome

rainbow dome Forum Resident

WOW I am beyond stoked for this. Eli is one of my favorite albums ever (and I would argue the most progressive pop album of the sixties), and More Than a New Discovery is not far behind.

Nick Dunning likes this.
  11. JMarch3035

To quickly answer a couple of questions: Not certain about the stereo tapes. As for the "Soul Picnic" tracks, exhaustive searching turned nothing up - and believe me, we tried! If the (at least) three songs were in fact recorded by Laura and Herb Bernstein at Verve for the album (which we know was announced and advertised) before Laura parted ways with Herb, Artie Mogull, and the label, the tapes didn't remain there when she left. It's just one more mystery of this amazing artist.

12. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

13. audiomixer

Quick question: Will the mono release of Verve album be distortion free; i.e. "Stoney End"?

14. Finchingfield

Thanks so much, Joe! We greatly appreciate your inside info, and all the efforts that have been undertaken with this!!!

johovey and JDeanB like this.
  15. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

the mono vinyl is distortion free, one of the cool things about owning the lp.

johovey likes this.
  16. JMarch3035

Thanks everybody for your enthusiasm! In my humble opinion, MTAND - and "Stoney End" - sound amazing. (So does ELI, by the way!)

We haven't officially announced this title yet, which is why there's no information up yet on either Real Gone's website or The Second Disc. Watch those spaces soon for more info and ordering on Laura as well as the rest of Real Gone's great July slate.

17. m5comp

m5comp Classic Rock Lover

I'm really excited about this news!:love:

fr in sc and audiomixer like this.
  18. Yes, the distortion in "Stoney End" is a problem with the 1969 remix. First released on Verve as a self/titled album, but pictures of the tape box posted here a few years ago suggest it was done at Columbia, not Verve.

bluemooze and Steve Litos like this.
  19. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I wonder if these will also be released on vinyl at some point?

20. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

It really does my heart good to see so much love for Laura here on this forum:)
    For me she is like an ultimate singer/songwriter, obviously Carole King reigns for sheer pop catchiness but Laura challenges her audience in ways not previously done and she truly pushed the envelope for all who followed, when you have people like Joni Mitchell saying she took direction from you, well....

21. m5comp

m5comp Classic Rock Lover

22. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

I'll wait to hear if this is truly the tape or just a decent needledrop (which we have).

The record is so much better in mono it's stupid.

The Panda likes this.
  23. AlecA

AlecA Forum Resident

:wave:You must have missed this posting:

bluemooze and JDeanB like this.
  24. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Semi-OT: I hadn't realized that Michele Kort passed away a couple years ago of ovarian cancer. I saw her speak at the Women and Children First bookstore in Chicago around 2003 regarding her Nyro book. RIP.

25. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

audiomixer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.