Laura Nyro - A Little Magic, A Little Kindness - The Complete Mono Albums Collection 07-07-2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Luxury_Liner, May 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm not particularly familiar with Laura Nyro's work. I did have an older CD of 'Eli...' which I don't remember much of the music other than the CD was so bright it was painful to listen to so I ditched it after a couple of listenings. I have been meaning to pick up the Audio Fidelity release but with 'A Little Magic...' coming I'm wondering if I need to do that?

2. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

You need to do that!

johovey and Planbee like this.
  3. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Ouch!

millbend likes this.
  4. audiomixer

Ouch, is right!

millbend likes this.
  5. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

amazon is out of stock. I'm not taking chances. I don't do Prime either. I'm happy

6. audiomixer

Then we're both happy!

johovey likes this.
  7. johovey

johovey Forum Resident

Ordered mine thru Real Gone Music directly. Got email today that Laura Nyro is on its way! Wondering if they are shipping early or what ... very excited!!

8. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Same here. I placed my pre-order yesterday and got my shipping notice today!

9. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

This is fantastic news.

I'd love to know what other mono masters Verve has in their archive.
    It would be great if the Zappa Family Trust could get the Mothers of Invention mono masters back after all this time.

Dok likes this.
  10. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

Showing as available for pre-order again on Amazon today. Price went up a couple of bucks.

11. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

I'm half tempted to cancel my Amazon pre-orders for both Laura & Dusty and order from Real Gone but it's not like I don't have anything else to listen to in the meantime. With shipping added from Real Gone and CA state tax either way, it's a wash cost-wise. I should probably leave well enough alone but I'm so ready for both of these releases.

12. johovey

johovey Forum Resident

Looks like Laura and Dusty are due to be delivered to me on Monday June 26 - according to tracking info from Real Gone. Woo Hoo!!!

13. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Listening now to 'A New Discovery' which is new to me... god she really sends me. Fabulous! I think Vic did a great job... vocals are mostly creamy smooth. She was surely one of a kind. Thank you Real Gone!

14. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

WOW. I had really pristine nd's of the mono Discovery vinyl and I'm hearing things I never heard before. The vocals have noticeably deeper nuance.
    Great liner notes too, with extensive session player credits. Now I can finally prove to someone that John Sebastian did not play on this album.
    Total home run--worth every penny.
    I'll be listening to the mono fold of Eli this afternoon.

Dok, Luxury_Liner, Bob J and 2 others like this.
  15. johovey

johovey Forum Resident

So I received this today from Real Gone directly. Listening now to More Than a New Discovery. Incredible! I was never a big fan of the Columbia mix - was always a bit too shrill for my ears! ... but I own a pristine MONO vinyl version of this particular album from days gone by. And that was always my go-to. I must say they guys over at Real Gone / Vic have done an exceptional job on this album. It has never sounded so good ... and a bit better than my vinyl version. Clear and detailed with Laura's voice in such sweet balance with the orchestrations. Lots of hard work and it has paid off. Thank you guys for delivering one of my favorites in true MONO!!!

16. JMarch3035

JMarch3035 Forum Resident

I just wanted to take a moment to thank everybody here for the kind words so far. I can speak on behalf of the Real Gone Music and Second Disc team behind this collection that we're all excited for the July 7 release date, and incredibly heartened that so many early birds are enjoying Laura's beautiful music.

17. ronton99

ronton99 Forum Resident

Hi,
    Just curious - has it ever been established if Eli has a dedicated mono mix or is a fold down?
    I will probably get this anyway for Discovery, but would like to know about Eli.....
    Thanks!

18. JMarch3035

JMarch3035 Forum Resident

Hi there. I can confirm that "Eli" is a fold-down, but we felt it was a worthy inclusion to this set as remastered from the original tapes because of the rarity of the original U.S. white label promo LP. In addition, we felt that so much of the "is it or isn't it?" speculation over the years confirmed just how well its stands as a valid alternate view of the album. Hope you take a chance, and enjoy!

johovey and bluemooze like this.
  19. Oh! CD

Oh! CD Active Member

I suppose a fold-down is technically a remix... I look forward to studying both discs and hope this might lead to a deluxe Eli or Tendaberry.

20. audiomixer

Not really...

Muzyck likes this.
  21. Steve Litos

Steve Litos Senior Member

Great job by Joe M. and everyone involved at the Sony vault and Real Gone!

I'm amazed that the Mono master(s) were relocated after all these years. I really really really thought they ended up in a landfill after Bell Sound closed or something to that effect. I guess there should have been a little more hope after all Verve kept on putting out harsh sounding mono 45s of the first album material so I suppose the master was around somewhere.

You'll have to tell us all the detective work that went into this wonderful find...love details.

Anyways I got the CD today...wonderful!

The CD has a nice intimate sound just like the white label promo mono version of the album.

johovey and Dok like this.
  22. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Great liner notes too Joe! I was about to tear up at the end reading the comments. :righton:

Steve Litos likes this.
  23. Steve Litos

Lots of good quotes in there...Marilyn McCoo, Elvis Costello, etc!

GetHappy!! likes this.
  24. Steve Litos

She performed Eli's, Wedding Bell, poverty train, and stoned soul at Monterrey Pop according to the Lou Adler tape of her performance. Therefore pre-production or arrangements were made of at least those 3 songs from "Eli" well before the album was recorded for Columbia.

If the songs were recorded for Milt Okun...it had to be those 3.

25. Finchingfield

Finchingfield Forum Resident

In Michele's Laura bio, there is no mention of specifically how many Verve "Soul Picnic" songs she recorded before jumping ship to Columbia. 3 titles are mentioned, though it could have been more. Here's the quote:

"[Arranger Herb] Bernstein actually recorded several new songs with Nyro, including "Time and Love" (which wouldn't appear until her third album), "Sweet Blindness," and "Stoned Soul Picnic."

So one song matches your and Herb's lists, so far. :D It's a shame all these "Soul Picnic" songs are lost, what a revelation they would be...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.