Law and Order - Season 21

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by rockclassics, Feb 24, 2022.

1. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

Boy, this reboot is a disappointment. If the writing was even adequate, one would be able to compare the acting chops to those who have gone before, but after 7, or whatever, episodes, that doesn’t seem remotely possible. We have Anderson there for A/B comparison, and I find his character, in this season, to be hard to take.

I understand the comments in this thread regarding the time allotted to the story not being there to flesh out the story, but nothing has shown me that another 5 minutes would make a difference.

A lot of the new season has used modern technology, i.e. cameras on every street corner, to expedite the storyline, and they can’t seem to fill the void left by that, the story seems empty and weak.

In the last episode, the one witness didn’t want to testify so he wouldn’t break his parole, then there he is on the stand. Not to say a scene convincing him to do so would be any different than any other this season, it’s just lazy, and a general disregard for the audience.

And, I don’t like the opening with the whole crowd walking towards the camera like it’s a fire drill.

2. Whizz Kid

Whizz Kid Forum Resident

They had to have a conviction because it was based on yet another “ripped from the headlines’ true story.

The Ed Buck scandal… prominent Democratic fundraiser convicted of dosing gay black men with meth.

LA ‘predator’ Ed Buck had at least 10 victims and drugged unconscious men, complaint says

It would be nice if this new L&O series had a single original idea for a plot line.:rolleyes:

3. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Yep. Bad casting, esp the DA, and the writing is very poor compared to prior seasons. Feels like these shows are first drafts of what previous scripts were.

Paul J likes this.
  4. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Yeah, the reboot has taken out what I loved about the original series and replaced it with what I don't like about SVU. At least we don't have to put up with watching Mariska Hargity gurning every time another character gives her an info dump. Emphasis on the "dump."

5. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I thought the latest one was pretty good.

guitargal likes this.
  6. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

I didn't like this one any better and I'm out.
    I enjoy SVU and Organized Crime much more. Those spinoffs have more gripping progression and more nuance.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

I found this week's episode kind of a yawn. I still haven't really warmed up to the new cast members yet, though I do like Camryn Manheim. I wish Jeremy Sisto had returned as Lupo.

8. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member Thread Starter

This past week's episode was ok, but I didn't think the story was very good. It will be interesting to see if this show gets renewed for another season. If so, will they make any changes to the cast or writers? IMO, the stories and dialog have the most room for improvement and need the most work.

9. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

The writing is still bad, almost amateurish. I know Wolf wants to address current issues, but it’s too preachy and “woke” (a word that I despise in its new definition). I also get sick of his over-reliance on syrupy synth music on all of his shows. I don’t need to have my emotions manipulated. Let me decide when to feel sad, scared, or touched. Good writing and acting doesn’t require additional emphasis.

rockclassics likes this.
  10. guitargal

guitargal Forum Resident

I thought this week's episode was a bit better than the previous shows. I saw improvement in the pacing and writing ; at least it kept my attention the whole show through ( first time on that. )
    I' m still sorting out the new cast - few really stand out to me. Plus I am no fan of Camryn in this role.
    Like @rockclassics I wonder if the show will be renewed - if so, I would suspect ( and urge) that they will find some new actors to portray more distinct and memorable characters .

Also, the other L&O s attracted a lot of esteemed actors as guest stars - many of whom were surprisingly dynamic in the type of roles we hadn't seen them in before. No big names seem eager to fill in the gaps this time around - it might help. to snare a few .

11. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

This past episode’s storyline was done a couple times before, and much better.

I was waiting for the defense attorney to get after the DA for making the mother choose between her husband and son, which has also been done, but they passed on that.

And Hugh Dancy is regressing, sinking to the level of Odelya Halevi. He was pretty bad in this episode.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. Cupids_bow

Cupids_bow chillin like a villain

Hugh and Odelya look lost and uncomfortable in their roles. It’s getting harder for me to watch.

13. Bobby Buckshot

Easily the worst DA in this series' history.

Paul J likes this.
  14. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

So that's the one they pick for a loss?

Next week we tackle the opioid crisis as the headline of the week. It's personal for the DA so we can see if the writers can successfully humanize him.

As an aside, in all 21 years of Law & Order I'm surprised they never did a storyline where the DA goes on a losing streak and the pressure to cut corners or fabricate evidence becomes tempting.

15. Bobby Buckshot

They introduce a little of that in those seasons of Sam Waterston & Angie Harmon, especially when Angie's character is new and idealistic. Sam wasn't fabricating evidence but he did play dirty to get the job done. But you're right, a story line like that would work and might help Dancy's DA character. He'd be believable as a cheating loser honestly.

Matthew Tate and tonyc like this.
  16. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Yes!

You can't do anything new with Anderson as he is the established Mr. Goody Two Shoes. Manheim I don't like but all she does is say "Interview the suspect". And it doesn't matter if Halelyi can act or not she is hot to look at and all she does is say "Ask for remand".

If they get another season, I think what you say is how you can make this version successful. You turn Dancy after some losses and maybe Donovan goes along with him. Bring out the shades of grey in those characters. Then, you can bring back Linus Roache as Cutter as the one trying to clean up the office (and do the "Homeland" reunion) and put McCoy in the middle and then you can get some compelling drama.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  17. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I watched the episode last night (May 5th). The acting still needs some improvement, and the principal characters seem to be void of energy and believability. The ADA Dancy really needs some kind of boost to make the show more interesting. Although, I am starting to warm up to Manheim's character a tad.

I haven't jumped ship yet.

tonyc likes this.
  18. Bobby Buckshot

You're spot on. Hopefully someone associated with the show makes this happen.

tonyc likes this.
  19. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

There is no real investigation and the trials get wrapped up in a neat bow. I do think there is not enough time with all the commercials. So I wonder if they could develop these into 2 hour story lines (tune-in next week, same L&O time, same L&O channel)?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

The latest episode was better than the previous ones this season, but that’s not saying too much.

Still, a lot of detective work being accomplished by way of street cameras, every episode it seems (remember when they would discover an ATM camera for that stuff), and Dancy is just horrible. He doesn’t seem to believe his own dialogue.

And like I posted before, with the prior seasons at close hand, the quality drop is dramatic.

Not every episode has to be ‘ripped from a headlines’, no imagination.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Afraid I have to agree with the consensus, though in my opinion the acting isn't the real problem. I can't imagine the actors were terribly inspired by the lines they were given. The scripts are with very few exceptions forced, trite, cliched and often painful to watch.

The old series took on hot-button topics, but usually did so in a thoughtful way, not bashing the viewer over the head with it. I actually feel sorry for Donovan, Anderson, Manheim and Waterson, veteran actors who have been in far better productions. Or maybe I shouldn't. Maybe they know this is a one-off paycheck for everybody and are doing a little as possible to earn it.

Bachtoven and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

23. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member Thread Starter

24. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I was laughing during this episode during what were supposed to be serious moments. Worst one yet. Series needs a total shakeup in writing and direction this summer.

25. MrEWhite

MrEWhite Forum Resident

I've liked the past few episodes, but the latest one just basically changing course 2/3s of the way through didn't seem like the best decision imo.

Matthew Tate likes this.