Layla Revisited: Tedeschi Trucks Band; 3LP/2CD sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RiRiIII, May 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

I would argue that TTB and Bonamassa are completely different types of birds all together. I think the approach of both artists are as different as Joe & Derek's approach to guitar playing. Bonamassa and his manager are endless self-promoters who constantly have product out every 6 months or so to promote. Joe and his team are playing a completely different game and as much (maybe just) criticism as TTB gets for the originals, I think Bonamassa is in the same boat and maybe worse because he has so many more originals that aren't memorable.

I think TTB is a band who makes music and also is a business.

I think Bonamassa is a business who also makes music.

2. Fusionfan

Fusionfan Forum Resident

With all due respect, in the wider world of music, Bonamassa and Trucks are quite closely related. There's no way to look at the possible range of music around the world and across all genres to then say they are 'completely different birds' musically.

They do have different commercial strategies and that's part of what we are discussing in fact.

Miles1968 likes this.
  3. WarEagleRK

Unless you are just talking about they both play the blues or them being prodigies who started super young then I would agree they are closely related, but it really stops there. As far as approach to the guitar and how they play and structure their songs they are completely different. Joe is more in the straight up British blues with some variations at times and Derek has a much wider pallet.

Skydog7 likes this.
  4. Fusionfan

Fusionfan Forum Resident

I'm talking about the fact that we have 2 white American people playing blues rock guitar in 2021, both owing a lot to some of the same people, regardless of their differences and both have larger ensembles and horns. Take a step back from your perspective as a fan and look at the possible range of all music in 2021 in the world, including outside your home country and tell me they aren't closely related.

If Joe Bonamassa can have as much commercial success as he does, it suggests that Trucks could likely do considerably better with a different approach to spreading his music. No one is saying they are identical. I'm a musician and well aware of how they differ but this is a different sort of thought experiment.

Everyone in the business, even those who don't particularly care for Joe's music, know he's been an excellent case study for making the most commercially out of his genre. And it is a related genre.

5. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Totally agree with you. I'm still mystified by Bonamassa's success. I don't care for his music, but he sure does put out a lot of it. I think the key to his thing is that he's basically the CEO of his brand/business. I don't think he is in a label or has management or publicists. I'm not sure TTB's business model for being a band, but seems like JB gets a lot of his profits.

6. WarEagleRK

You are arguing the same point that I am agreeing with you about, I was just saying that is the only way they are similar.

Businesswise there is no comparison, I never see Derek or TTB taking the same approach that Joe has taken to promoting themselves. They have completely different makeup when it comes to that.

7. Fusionfan

Fusionfan Forum Resident

TTB do very well all things considered but Bonamassa is doing even better commercially and has been for a while. A lot of that is that he tours a ton and has taken some gambles on how to do that initially. It's also because he's thought bigger than he was advised and has done so for a long time and that includes internationally where he's playing arenas in many cases. The involvement with PBS was also very important.

I wasn't talking about what percentages Bonamassa receives but yes those are higher than usual because he has done a lot of what he does with his own people directly.

8. Fusionfan

Fusionfan Forum Resident

If you're agreeing with me that they are 2 white American people playing blues rock guitar in 2021, both owing a lot to some of the same people, regardless of their differences and both have larger ensembles and horns then it's highly relevant to look at the differences in their commercial strategies if one is interested in seeing what sort of ceiling TTB might have around the world.

And Trucks agrees too as he, along with many others, has mentioned being very impressed with what Bonamassa has done in this regard. It's quite possible TTB's more recent emphasis on the market outside of North America reflects this to some degree.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
  9. WarEagleRK

I'll agree with anything at this point.

Skydog7 likes this.
  10. mooncusser2k

mooncusser2k "Oink, Oink, Woof, Woof, Baaaaa."

I enjoy a number of their original songs, and Let Me Get By had a specific focus on originals over covers. So I'd like to think they were developing in that direction. Recent years have seen changes in and around the band, including some impactful losses. Hopefully, they regain that momentum.

11. It is - and I have struggled with Tedeschi's voice for years. I actually preferred the old DTB before she joined. But this album, and this song especially has made a believer of me.

Oh, why not? If Patricia Barber can sing Black Magic Woman, and Mellissa Etheridge can sing Maggie May, why shouldn't Susan sing Have You Ever Loved A Woman?

pscreed and Mulroydave like this.
  12. Yankeefan01

Yankeefan01 Forum Resident

Bonamassa needs to put out as much as he does and tour endlessly so he can keep buying gear. That guy has more vintage guitars than I've seen in my 64 years.

Tuck1977 likes this.
  13. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I'd like to see Bonamassa play a gig with the TTB.

14. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

I wouldn’t, I like listening to him talk about music and guitars but not playing them.

Yankeefan01 likes this.
  15. T-Mac

T-Mac Forum Resident

While Joe B is certainly a very talented musician, IMO is not even close to being in Derek’s class. Simply put Derek is one of the most original and best guitar players on earth, and as those who have had the pleasure of meeting him will tell you, is one of the most humble as well

16. Skydog7

Skydog7 Forum Resident

I did a deep dive on their most recent album Signs when it was first released. The songs didn’t immediately connect with me but I’ve grown to absolutely love it. “Still Your Mind” is a real standout live, too, as is “Shame.” The band was really proud of that record, which came out the day Kofi died. Their shows from Feb/March 2019 are really powerful as a result.

17. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Forum Resident

This made me sit up in my chair:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
  18. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I just think the contrast in styles and yet based in blues rock could work well together. I also think Joe could do a decent job singing Allman Brothers songs.

19. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Hearing what you're saying, but I guess I'm still not sure how he's been able to curate a big fan base. I have a hard time convincing myself that many people actually like his music. Like others said, I think he's turned a world class guitar collection into part of his brand and appeal. I guess a certain percentage of those people turn out just to see those axes put into use.

20. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Joe connects to guitarists
    Derek connects to humans

They are both great at what they do, but they connect to different people in different ways.

elsanto, Skydog7 and WarEagleRK like this.
  21. WarEagleRK

I am not sure Joe has the feel and grit, much less the heartache vocally that Gregg brought to those songs. In his defense, most don't.

Skydog7 likes this.
  22. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

TTB could totally be bigger than Bonamassa. I like Joe's playing and general vibe, but dude rarely writes songs you actually remember. TTB has a ton of great original material and two of the best singers in the country to belt them out. But yeah, it takes a lot of legwork to get there.

Fusionfan and Skydog7 like this.
  23. Skydog7

Skydog7 Forum Resident

Sidenote, but Joe was in a band called Bloodline in the 1990s with Robbie Krieger’s son Waylon and Berry Oakley’s son Berry Duane Oakley (who’s often called BOJr) and Miles Davis’s son Erin on drums. (Sammy Hagar’s son was their original lead singer.) Berry was the vocalist on their one record. Not sure why they split up.

24. Skydog7

Skydog7 Forum Resident

This is really well stated.

25. WarEagleRK

If I am not mistaken Warren Haynes played on a song or two on that album.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.