Layla Revisited: Tedeschi Trucks Band; 3LP/2CD sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RiRiIII, May 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jon Brook

Jon Brook Forum Resident

Got mine today .. loving it .would love a Blu ray release.

bholz and longdist01 like this.
  2. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

I got the 3 LP set via Amazon UK today, though I must confess I’m not proud. Ordered it ages ago and I’m trying to ween myself away from that lot. Looking forward to playing this set but time so far.

3. Jon Brook

Jon Brook Forum Resident

"That Lot" meaning Amazon?

Tuck1977 likes this.
  4. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

I’ve just read what I sent. Sorry too much cake. It looks like I meant weening myself off TTB, not a chance. Yes Amazon.

5. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

I don't understand. You don't want to help Bezos go to outer space? Isn't that way cooler than helping out people in need!

6. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

So many better guitar players than TA out there. DT deserves a top tier player to complement his wonderful playing.Still a nice listen.

7. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

I really like what Derek Trucks wrote in the liner notes. It’s an album that is so important still to so many and aged so well like a vintage wine. Only 11 more separate releases of 1080p footage on YouTube to go till we have complete footage.

longdist01 and pscreed like this.
  8. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Given their past connection, I wonder if Derek and Doyle considered asking Eric to join them for this one-off gig. The gig happened in August 2019 when Eric was taking a break between his Europe & US tour and a month before the Crossroads Guitar Festival. Even if they did, I am not sure if Eric at this age would’ve up for the one-off challenge.

The 2006-07 “Layla” tour shows remain my favorite solo Clapton shows of the 21st century. While we did get two DVD releases from that tour, a complete Layla performance was never attempted back then.

9. crossroads69

I hope so too. I mean the whole concert was filmed and edited for a web stream and so shouldn’t a lot of work to prep it for digital video release.

Someone on another thread had mentioned that ~6000 sold copies was the break even point for niche Blu-ray releases. Maybe that’s a hurdle too much for a band like TTB given the super small market these days.

longdist01 and BeatleJWOL like this.
  10. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Think it’s better he is not on it. I’m not sure he’d add much to it. It’s great as is.

ajax25, mooncusser2k and crossroads69 like this.
  11. crossroads69

Yeah I suppose so, perhaps would’ve been a great idea around the 40th anniversary.

Alright, time to play the new album!

12. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

This makes me so damn happy.

longdist01, Skydog7 and mooncusser2k like this.
  13. Jon Brook

Jon Brook Forum Resident

Both sets are here .Layla set begins 1hr 13 in.

Tuck1977 likes this.
  14. Jon Brook

Jon Brook Forum Resident

15. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Received my vinyl set today. “Mixed and mastered completely analog.” Three thick, dead quiet records. Six sides. QRP Heaven.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
  16. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I did not realize this was completely analog…

longdist01 likes this.
  17. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

I found my pre-order email. How come some of you are already getting it? Is it the colored vinyl that is coming out now? I ordered the black and it looks like I have about 6 weeks to wait. They did send an email saying that I could do some sort of computer magic to listen to my "digital copy" but I'm to old and set in my ways to mess with that.

Layla Revisited (Live at LOCKN'), 3LP Black Vinyl, by Tedeschi Trucks Band
    Record/Vinyl + Digital Album
    $39.98USD
    Estimated to ship September 1, 2021 and estimated to arrive no later than September 15, 2021
    Digital album releases July 16, 2021
    Package ships on or around August 27, 2021

TerpStation and Bill like this.
  18. pscreed

Believe tracking was digital, with mixing and mastering analog. To be fair I think on location live analog multitrack recording may be a thing of the past. The studio track Thorntree is AAA though.

19. pscreed

OK don’t shoot me… listening to the Layla coda right now. Derek is 1000 times better on this than Duane was on this cut on the original. 1000X.

I write this as a passionate ABB fan, and I’m pretty sure I have all available recordings of Duane .

Hearing Derek play on this coda in tune (unlike the original) just makes me realize how great it could have been if Duane had taken another pass or two at this one.

No offense meant to anybody.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
  20. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone."

Derek has been playing it and hearing it his whole life. Duane likely only had a few hours or days of exposure to the song before the cut.

dzjc, Tuck1977, Skydog7 and 3 others like this.
  21. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

yeah I doubt they’d move 6,000. But there’s plenty of other outlets for that footage.

22. mooncusser2k

mooncusser2k "Oink, Oink, Woof, Woof, Baaaaa."

:agree: Ain't it great?

longdist01 and Skydog7 like this.
  23. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

Listening to this via Amazon HD at 24/96 on Senn HD660s headphones. It is absolutely glorious. But I have been stuck playing the first 3 songs over and over. All I hear is raptorous joy. I needed this. I needed this.

24. apb

apb Game on!

24-192 on Bandcamp

JamieLang and Rick58 like this.
  25. Agerst1574

Agerst1574 Forum Resident

This is so much better than I thought it would be and I mean that as a complement. Just wonderful to listen to.

As for whether Clapton would have added something to this-maybe 10 years ago. When Eric guested with the Allman in 2009 at the Beacon, I went to the 2nd show and it was a joy. But after seeing Eric at Royal Albert Hall in 2019, I noticed how much he has slowed down in terms of his playing.

This record is fine the way it is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.