Layla Revisited: Tedeschi Trucks Band; 3LP/2CD sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RiRiIII, May 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

On Amazon HD I am getting some songs at 24/96 but most are at 24/192. No complaints either way.

Rick58 likes this.
  2. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Wow just ordered 2CD version off Amazon. :hide:

Saw DT Band in Sacramento in 2009, amazing. Susan was playing in the SF Bay Area and came out to sing Anyday as an encore. Bliss.

longdist01 and vegafleet like this.
  3. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

I am too, to support the artist and have more stuff like this released. Also lots of stuff I love sometimes disappears from the streaming services, and having the Cd of stuff I don't want to live without has been a godsend a few times.

Rick58, TerpStation and Skydog7 like this.
  4. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

Wouldn't (or couldn't) this be where Netflix, Prime or some other steaming service comes in? Couldn't it be sold or leased to one of the big services and combined with sales they make a profit? I wouldn't buy a video but I'd certainly watch the show one night before going to sleep.

longdist01 and Skydog7 like this.
  5. Skydog7

Skydog7 Forum Resident

you and me both. I have streamed it about a half dozen times today already though!

lazydawg58 likes this.
  6. Skydog7

Skydog7 Forum Resident

Great post. They are an outstanding band with a really broad palate in sound, groove, songs, cover choices, set pacing, etc.

I hear you on their songs but after catching 5 of the first 7 shows I was reminded of how joyous and positive they are, which was really nice to return to after a really long slog for most of us over the last 18 months.

There’s just something about this band that really grabs me. It starts with Derek for me for sure, but it’s not just about him. They’re a team in the purest sense of the word. Derek’s just the otherworldly point guard around which it all revolves.

pscreed, longdist01, Bill and 2 others like this.
  7. Skydog7

Skydog7 Forum Resident

A couple of quick comments:

1. I’ve listened 6 times today on Spotify. I was born deaf in my right ear so I’m not a huge sound quality guy but damn if EVERYTHING Derek puts out just sounds outstanding to me. I notice this live too btw. Really looking forward to my vinyl arriving.

2. Derek is just wonderful here, and it’s great to hear Trey and also Doyle serve as a Clapton-esque foil. It sounds really good, all original but completely in the spirit of the song.

3. It’s nice to have Derek’s “Blue Sky” tease in “Anyday” make a recording. And I think the bird call at the end of “Layla” was the first I ever heard Derek do that in 28 years of listening! I remember how happy it made me when I heard it on the webcast.

4. I found this an is outstanding read Derek Trucks Interview: Eric Clapton, Allman Brothers, Bob Dylan, & More

8. Skydog7

Skydog7 Forum Resident

Takes courage to say something this bold, and I tend to agree with you. Derek long ago surpassed Duane, he started earlier and has lived much longer.

He’s not Duane reincarnated, he’s 100% Derek Trucks. But there’s a lotta Duane in him…he and Duane draw from very much the same well.

I love Duane like no other and feel like he’d graciously say the same thing about Derek.

9. Whistle

Whistle Forum Resident

Great played, top album for sure.

ericscho likes this.
  10. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

too niche for those probably, but there are other music-centric services it could appear on.

11. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

You reckon? Much of what I watch on there are pretty niche. I thought they were always looking for new content and a contemporary live concert would seem to work. Maybe they need to rethink that if so. Honestly I don't go to steaming services for music but if I'm searching for a movie to watch and that pops up I'm pretty likely to watch it, especially after I've go through a bunch suspense movie possibilities going, "seen that, seen that". I'm too boring to be a unique viewer, there are bound to be plenty more like me. :confused:

12. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Is there any interview with Derek talking about how this Layla concert came to be? Curious to know how Trey got involved.

13. Frawls

Frawls Forum Resident

This was the second set of a two set show. The entire show was a live webcast. I have a FLAC rip of the first set that wasn't included in this release. PM me if you'd like to hear it.

Bossyman likes this.
  14. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

CBS This Morning just showed two live cuts of the band at the end of their morning broadcast, from the tennis center in New Haven, CT. Now I have to buy this new release. I’ll read back in this thread, but curious about the SQ of the CD version, which I’d prefer to the vinyl. I can be talked out of that!

mooncusser2k and longdist01 like this.
  15. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Bobby Whitlock would went down well on a few tracks at this show.

16. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Just A Flea-Bit Peanut Monkey

Listened to the cd on my headphone system and it sounded great to me, not mastered loud, very crankable!

bholz, ermylaw, Jerry and 1 other person like this.
  17. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

This just might be the perfect thing to listen to on a Saturday morning.

mooncusser2k, Macman and longdist01 like this.
  18. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone."

Streamed it a few times yesterday. I think the sound via stream was great. Really looking forward to the vinyl which is scheduled to arrive next week now. @Jerry yes, there are details about the recording via member and co-producer @Vinylanswer.net up-thread and a statement about the production via co-producer bobby tis quoted above.

here is another shot from the show i took:
    [​IMG]

Crispy Rob, longdist01 and Jerry like this.
  19. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I'm always surprised Netflix's music selection isn't more robust, but they seem to stick mostly with actual "film" films, or official releases. Whereas Qello has a lot of "X band live from some festival" type things.

The footage exists and I feel like it will emerge at some point, somewhere.

Skydog7 and longdist01 like this.
  20. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Yep. Stereogum.com

crossroads69 likes this.
  21. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone."

Trey and Derek are friends and Trey headlined the night before this show, with Derek guesting, with his own band at Lockn. So he was scheduled to be there. Also, Trey and TTB go back a bit...he has guested with TTB i believe on a few occasions...i was lucky enough to be in the house at the Beacon one year when Trey came on for Delta Lady and then a half hour mountain jam.

Crispy Rob and crossroads69 like this.
  22. Audiobernd

Audiobernd Forum Resident

Just listened to it today and I am very pleased with what I heard. If someone can pull off a true Layla-Hommage, it's those guys. They nailed it. True enough to the original to please even the mostr hardcore Clapton-Withlock-Allman-Gordon-Fan, but with enough spice added to give it it's own flavour. As usual, I expecially love the added "Soul", hharmony singing and Horns they bring to the show. Susan sings like there is no tomorrow, Derek is one of the best bluesrock-guitarists alive today and Tray adds more than just a few lines. And then of course there is the whole band, which is so tight right now, it could sell virginity online. :righton:

AGimS, Macman and longdist01 like this.
  23. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I'm about 1/2 of the way through disc two. This is an astonishing performance.

24. Jon Brook

Jon Brook Forum Resident

Just watched Layla again on youtube for the umpteenth time today. absolutely stunning ..

25. Macman

Macman Senior Member

Went to my local record store this morning for record store day and came home with this instead on vinyl. I just finished the first of the three LPs and it’s fantastic. The pressing is perfect and Bellman’s mastering is excellent. It’s respectful to the original while bringing it’s own flair and energy. The cover art ain’t the greatest but everything else so far is superb.

David Pietras and TerpStation like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.