Layla Revisited: Tedeschi Trucks Band; 3LP/2CD sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RiRiIII, May 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Yeah that was kind of my point, I have often wondered if the original coda was a first take. Again not a dis on Duane who I am a huge fan of, just that Derek is wonderful on this. I could have phrased my post a little better I think.

TerpStation and Skydog7 like this.
  2. mooncusser2k

mooncusser2k "Oink, Oink, Woof, Woof, Baaaaa."

Yep. Even more impressive knowing it's a live recording - it would be an accomplishment even in the studio.

Skydog7 likes this.
  3. Actually, I just received my copy in the mail today, and in his liner notes Derek Trucks says Tedeschi was born on November 9, 1970, the very day Layla was released. Yikes!

WarEagleRK and rcb30 like this.
  4. mooncusser2k

Amazon now says my 3LP will arrive Monday. Can't wait.

Bill likes this.
  5. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

And a one-off show with few tracks they hadn’t played live before and with a guest performer (Trey) with whom they had just one rehearsal! Impressive indeed.

supermd, Bossyman, Guy Smiley and 3 others like this.
  6. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

I can confirm this as well, this release is quality on every level from Bellman right on down to the poly sleeves.

Bossyman and TerpStation like this.
  7. DGC2001

DGC2001 Forum Resident

I received the CD today. I expected to be disappointed; I was wrong! I really like this release! The blend of the guest musicians with the band seems effortless; I'm also glad that Mike Mattison has some lead vocals on a couple of tracks as he has an amazing voice. Well spent $16.

OhioHead and Daryl M like this.
  8. Mr.Mustache

Mr.Mustache Forum Resident

Oh man I'm late on this one, it looks like the vinyl is all sold out, bummer!:confused:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
  9. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

10. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

Had I seen this on CBS yesterday morning I might have headed to New Hampshire last night.

11. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I’m one who got the vinyl on Friday. Been playing it constantly ever since. Just magnificent.

J_D__ and TerpStation like this.
  12. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Did you guys get a download card with yours? I saw on the TTB website that the download was included. I purchased from a local store and there was no download card in mine, must be just for the website purchases.

13. Mr.Mustache

Nevermind, Acoustic Sounds had copies!!!!:pineapple::wiggle::goodie::edthumbs::uhhuh::bdance:

14. duggan

duggan Senior Member

Am I correct in thinking that there are four guitarists playing on this album?

15. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Yes - Derek, Trey, Doyle and Susan.

duggan likes this.
  16. Reid Smith

Reid Smith Forum Resident

I thought this might be the best place to ask this question.When did many in the band disappear? They were on CBS Saturday Morning live over the weekend and the horns,singers (except Mike) and the drummer J.J. were missing.At first i thought they just didn't bring the whole band for the two songs they did.
    But here is a clip of them live at a show yesterday and the whole band is missing again.I sure hope this isn't permanent,that's what made this band so special,that huge and powerful sound they had.Even though they still sound good,it's just not the same :(

JohnT likes this.
  17. Jon Brook

Jon Brook Forum Resident

18. Reid Smith

Reid Smith Forum Resident

Thanks for the quick reply,i bet a lot of folks will be surprised with the stripped down lineup.If they're not aware of it first.
    It just seems odd seeing the band like this :)

Dawg In Control likes this.
  19. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Good sound on this vs. the 24/192. You can tell the songs TT has had in their set lists previously such as Anyday which is truly majestic. Really well done though I stand by my previous statement re TA.

20. JamieLang

JamieLang Forum Resident

FWIW...(black)vinyl sounds great. Tangibly better than whatever AmazonHD is streaming. Unfortunately, there's no download card to compare the actual 24/192...

TerpStation likes this.
  21. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone."

I think the opposite. While i certainly agree that there are many better players out there, i think TA fits perfectly here. He adds some nice color and i think compliments DT. Another monster on guitar might have messed up the vibe, making it all too over the top....it might have lost some of its tastefulness, soul and feel.

Basically, I think this show came off so perfectly because its Derek's lead and everyone else needed to either compliment or get the *** out of the way which they did.

rob303, southamorican and Bill like this.
  22. Mr.Mustache

I listened to it three times on Amazon music through headphones yesterday while working in my workshop. I can't say enough good things about this recording. I believe it is right up there with the original. It really does the studio album justice. I really love the extra drums and percussion, and the horns add some nice sizzle.

I'm really impressed with the original Derek And The Dominos that they were able to get such an amazing sound with just four guys and Duane playing here and there. Tedeschi Trucks Band has like 14 people to match the original sound.

Bossyman likes this.
  23. Miles1968

Miles1968 The years just pass like trains

Thanks for posting.

Enjoyed the interview and I'm going to check out the Hillbilly Elegy Soundtrack - I like Hans Zimmer and love Derek's playing so should be good.

Guy Smiley likes this.
  24. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

J.J. Johnson is no longer with the band, I don’t believe he’s been replaced.

25. mooncusser2k

There was a mention that they had someone lined up (think it was during one of the Fireside Sessions?). But haven't heard an announcement yet. Other changes are explained above.

bbanderic likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.