Lead singer of Buzzcocks Pete Shelley Dies at 63*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Fortysomething, Dec 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JumpinJimF

JumpinJimF Still perfecting ways of making sealing wax

Great song

2. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

I
    Ahhh "Razor Cuts"! Clear vinyl? Garth!!!

The Killer likes this.
  3. hybrid_77

hybrid_77 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Shelley in 1986, posing alongside other punk luminaries, including Penetration’s Pauline Murray and Rob Blamire, Sham 69’s Jimmy Pursey, the Fall’s Mark E Smith and former Buzzcock Howard Devoto – now of Magazine.

4. Sound of the Suburbs

Sound of the Suburbs Forum Resident

5. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I just bought this album for a buck (beautiful clean copy) a couple of months ago, after not having heard the title song in 35 years. Love the whole album, and Heaven and the Sea too.

TonyCzar and plentyofjamjars67 like this.
  6. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I think they had something on their website yesterday when I was googling.

MrSka57 likes this.
  7. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I mentioned earlier in this thread that Pete played in Londrina, Brazil, many years ago, when he lived there for a while with his then-girlfriend. He would play small Buzzcocks sets for free, with local musicians at small bars just for fun. Those people, who were very young back then, started searching their archives since yesterday and some pictures of those gigs are being found. This is pretty rare, don't tell anyone I posted it ;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    TheLoveDrags, uzn007, JL6161 and 10 others like this.
  8. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

MrSka57 likes this.
  9. gomen ne

gomen ne -

The Shadracks did cover Boredom tonight. Lead singer said "We weren't going to play this one tonight, but I feel we have to."

Did Pete Shelley pioneer the two note guitar solo?

Dave Decadent likes this.
  10. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Thanks. They could've put it on the main page and saved one of the butt-kissing Bono-Bruce-Patti Smith pieces for a day. Sorry I sound like a crank but this was a real heartbreaker.

no.nine, Dave Decadent and Mylene like this.
  11. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member

It appears the lack of info in the title was what inspired the same in the response. If you were offended by the three-word response and thought it should've been better explained, the three-word title should have had the same effect, thus the point is made.

Pete left us great music and he will be remembered.

May he rest in peace.

:wave:

12. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

Oh man, that's an amazing picture! Thanks for sharing. I loved all of those bands back when I was first getting into punk...still do, actually.

uzn007 likes this.
  13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

too damn young. : ( R.I.P.

MrSka57 likes this.
  14. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Pete must be jammin up in hebbin with MES.

C’n’c O-Addict

NaturalD likes this.
  15. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

"I was deeply sorry to hear about Pete passing away, I always thought he was a great songwriter and the Buzzcocks both helped and inspired us in the early days of Joy Division. The first punk record I ever bought was ‘Spiral Scratch’ Boredom was the track on it that summed up how every bummed out adolescent felt in early 1977.

Another song ‘You Say You Don’t Love Me’ was another - perhaps lesser known but it was a favourite of mine with a deeply touching melody and then in 1981 he came out with the catchy as hell perfect pop song ‘Homosapien’ - By coincidence we played it in our dressing room just before we went onstage at our last gig in Curitiba, Brazil.

A sad day but a brilliant and unforgettable life." - Bernard Sumner (Joy Division/New Order)

"Without Pete and the Buzzcocks, I’d probably still be working at the Docks.” - Peter Hook (Joy Division/New Order

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  16. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

The Buzzcocks were one of the most melodious punk bands ever-right up there with the Ramones in my book. But I was equally enamored of Shelley's solo career. "XL-1" is jam packed with crackin' pop tunes, but what really knocked my socks off was the epic mashup remixes of many of the songs by Martin Rushent. RIP Pete. A true genius.

Dave Decadent likes this.
  17. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

18. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I saw them all live (except Sham 69, who I didn't like apart from their terrific single "Borstal Breakout").

19. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

The fantastic "Fast Cars" with its teaser "Boredom" intro.

20. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

21. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

22. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Really sad. Great band, great musician, big loss. I'll play some of their stuff in memorium.

Purple Jim likes this.
  23. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Would you kindly translate this to English so the rest of us can understand it....

davers likes this.
  24. rikki nadir

rikki nadir Gentleman Thug

Delighted.

The poster, in his grief, imagines his hero to have ascended into (punk?) heaven, where Pete Shelley will be greeted by fellow Mancunian Mark E Smith (MES), who departed this realm in January of this year, aged 60.
    The poster goes on to suggest a musical celebration which might result between Pete Shelley and Mark E Smith, a collaboration (or 'mash up') melding two songs, one by each musician: 'C 'n C's Mithering' by the Fall, and 'Orgasm Addict' by Buzzcocks.

Happy to discuss.

25. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Three major dudes around Manchester in the late 70s

C6H12O6, uzn007, vertigone and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.