Learned valuable Ebay lesson

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by DaleClark, May 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident Thread Starter

Listed was a DCC vinyl edition of Jazz Samba. Title even mentioned Steve Hoffman. I placed my max bid and eventually won ($13 which I found strange). Anyway, the seller updated info after listing and said "wrong version...Not DCC but regular Verve version" (Paraphrasing.). So the DCC item title stayed throughout auction. I did not see or get an update notice (I assume ebay sends them). Anyway, the poor condition Verve version came today...What a piece of garbage. Lesson learned, check your listings you bid on. I'm not messing with opening a ticket for $13.

I'm kicking myself for self stupidity

2. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

3. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I think the seller should have removed the item and relist it again

giantleech likes this.
  4. DaleClark

That is what I would have done. The photo is even of the DCC version (probably from ebay quick list feature)

Still my fault.........You cannot count on people to do the right thing 75% of the time. I should have known better

5. MARTHY

MARTHY Forum Resident

If you don't file a ticket -- even for $13 -- then you allow this seller to get away with doing what s/he did. And I suspect that's what they are counting on. So, don't shrug it off as your lesson learned, make it so that it is the seller who learns the lesson.

6. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Agreed, get your money back and slap the baddie.

giantleech and Dubmart like this.
  7. drift

drift Forum Resident

Are you allowed to name the seller so I may please block them?

giantleech likes this.
  8. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

I can't think of a better reason to invoke "item not as described". If you placed a bid while it was listed as the DCC and he subsequently changed it, that deal is null and void. How do you know it wasn't done intentionally to draw higher bids? The whole thing sounds shady AF.

Dan

giantleech, Dubmart, Dave and 2 others like this.
  9. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

10. DaleClark

I have quite a few searches set up for my email. One of the biggies is the seller used MOFI or other variations in title. You click on the item you find out it’s a MOFI paper inner sleeve with record. Some do not even mention sleeve in title. You have to read description. Sad

11. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Won't take much effort to make a claim via eBay. eBay can see the seller changed the auction details. Wouldn't be surprised if they refund you and let you keep the cd as well.

giantleech and drift like this.
  12. joachim.ritter

joachim.ritter Senior Member

Did the update happen before or after you put in your bid?

I don't think it is possible to change title or description when there are already bids on an auction. There is an option to add information if I remember correctly.

13. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I miss the camaraderie that existed between like buyers and sellers on eBay back around 1998-2002. There was much honor among sellers and buyers.
    I think it all turned when eBay bought PayPal after actually disallowing that service for auctions for a time (remember that?)

Anyway, yeah, it's only $13 but the current model skews way toward the buyer, so if you complain you will surly get your money back.

14. DaleClark

I pretty much send everything with signature nowadays. About 3 years ago, I cleaned out some storage and sold various items. I received a few "I never received" tickets. If I recall most had very few stars. Just a mess

15. It is not possible to change a description after a bid has been placed. Could you have waited after reading and then placed the bid without reading the description again?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.