Least favorite Megadeth Remaster?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dynamic Ranger, Dec 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M2225

M2225 Nebulus 7 intergalaxy eclipse

I have all the 5 first Megadeth albums on Vinyl since "way back" (original versions). Now I'm sitting here thinking: "Perhaps I should buy some 2002-2004 remixes/remasters just for evaluation purposes..." They are available pretty cheap as used, in Finland around 4€/ea. This is a fun forum indeed :)

2. Dynamic Ranger

Dynamic Ranger Forum Resident Thread Starter

I suppose it's worth a try! You may like them or you may not. It's all a matter of taste!
    I prefer the original mixes. ;)

3. marcelbr

marcelbr Forum Resident

If it wasn't for the incredibly low dynamic range, Cryptic Writings would be kickass. I was comparing the intro os She-Wolf (original 97 and the remixed). Well the remixed has a better sound, more midrange and depth.

4. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

you do know thats on every version of SFSGSW just buried like heck in the original version.

5. Matthew Tate

i do not think al of the bass and guitar solos are re-recorded. never heard that before and they have been discussed to death on the megadeth forum. imo KIMB, PSBWB and SFSGSW are better in the 2004 versions. the rest sound really odd and off. i think its because the oroginal production on those 3 albums is so weak that its harder to hear as many differences

6. Matthew Tate

i think they are alternate vocal takes on lucretia and take no prisoners and re-recorded vocals on five magics. either way they suck

7. Redhat220

Redhat220 Well-Known Member

ALL OF THEM.
    Do yourself a huge favor and get the original US Capitols or the first Japan TOCP pressings.

8. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

amen to that. I dumped all the Mustaine con-job remasters from about 10 years ago in the trash about 8 years ago and stick to the original CDs.

Zoot Marimba and Clanceman like this.
  9. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I'm always on the lookout for a handful of used CDs to replace the remasters I mistakenly purchased in the past. I finally nabbed a Peace Sells from Half Price for just a few bucks. The differences are astounding. I'm not the usual "waveform poster" guy and I'm not terribly picky but in this case the quality is undeniable.

"The Conjuring"
    [​IMG]

tkl7 and Dynamic Ranger like this.
  10. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Aren't pretty much all of them awful? But if I had to choose, it would be Rust.

Dynamic Ranger likes this.
  11. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

Youthanasia gets my vote as the least good example. Though I think they all (2002 KIMB and 2004 remixes, especially The Craving and CW) worth a listen.

12. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

The 20th anniversary addition of Countdown To Extinction and the 25 anniversary addition of Peace Sells. I can hear the distortion caused by the brickwalling. Sounds lifeless.

I'm not a hater of the 2004 remasters. They did some things really well in regards to the remixing. The originals did not translate to cd the same as they did on the LPs. They are louder but that part didn't really bother me. One good thing about owning all the originals and the remasters is that I get to have two different interpretations of the same albums.

My exception to the 2004 remasters is Risk. They removed much of the added instruments that the producer added.

I also hated every version of Killing Is My Business that was remastered. I have 4 different copies of this album and the original Combat version is the only one I can tolerate. The poor production of this album comes out too much on the remasters. The original version's production is bad enough.

Soundslave likes this.
  13. Soundslave

Of course if we can add newer anniversary remasters to the table - those are complete disasters, especially seeing them available on HDtracks along with good sounding Th1rth3en and Super Collider. At least they re-released original mixes for Rust in Peace and PSBWB not so long ago with better DR but I still managed to hear some clipping there and there.
    Completely agree with eric on Risk - I tried to listen to the original mix (after like a year of listening to 2004 version) and something about it was purely displeasing.
    As for KIMB - I only recently got MFN 46 promo pressing LP (the one without barcode) from 1985 and it was pretty good to my ears. Previously I was happy with 2002 remix and 2011 Century Media remaster (though this one is compressed a bit too much in some places, DR is 7).

Dynamic Ranger and eric777 like this.
  14. eric777

I agree on the 24 bit versions of Peace Sells and Rust In Peace. I do like them but I feel they were a missed opportunity. Thirteen and Super Collider 24 bit versions were awesome. If they had done that with Peace and RIP, they would have been the definitive versions in my book.

I have to confess that I didn't clarify on Risk. I prefer the added instruments on the original. After five years listening to the original, the remaster just seemed lacking. That was my bad. I should have been more specific.

Soundslave likes this.
  15. Soundslave

Oh, ok then haha) I liked that "stripped down" approach because in my opinion Dan Huff did too much on original Risk. So to each his own :)

eric777 likes this.
  16. eric777

Yeah, he really took control on that one but it's really Dave Mustaine's fault. He agreed to it. He didn't start acting like Huff did a horrible thing until his fans complained.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. I found them to be interesting at first.
    I actually prefer the Peace Sells and So Far remixes despite being overly compressed etc...simply because I never like the originals production.
    As regard the rest....they didn't need messing with....and I play the originals.

Soundslave likes this.
  18. Dynamic Ranger

:bigeek:
    HOLY S***!! That's really bad!
    Believe me, it sounds worse than it looks.

19. Dynamic Ranger

Yes, they are all brickwalled and musically destroyed.

20. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

I love the re re Master back to original Peace Sells Anniversary package.

Matthew Tate and old school like this.
  21. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Aren't there actual changes to some some songs on Countdown and Youthanasia remasters, the Train Of Conseqeunces has an extended ending?

John Bliss and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I never supplemented my originals with remixes.

23. Matthew Tate

get the remixes. the spines form vics face. put them all in 2 cd slim cases and have the original and remixes there in the same case

Clanceman likes this.
  24. Matthew Tate

to lots of songs. "in my darkest hour" has a new intro. "use the man" is missing the intro. "high speed dirt", "sweating bullets" and a lot of tunes on risk and CW are longer. some songs have effects missing or licks added or missing. theres a lot of differences. I wish someone had a list of all the differences between the remixes and originals. like gave time codes "from 2:12-2:16" of song such and such this is missing or added or what not

Brenald79 and Clanceman like this.
  25. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

The only one I bought was Rust In Peace...and it totally sucked. Love the original and stuck with those for the rest.

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.