Least favourite Beatles 1963 song (Round 16)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Haristar, Feb 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth Thread Starter

The next songs to go are "It Won't Be Long".

Results so far:
    Round 1: "A Taste of Honey", "Little Child"
    Round 2: "Hold Me Tight", "Devil in Her Heart"
    Round 3: "Chains", "Till There Was You"
    Round 4: "I Wanna Be Your Man", "Boys"
    Round 5: "Anna (Go to Him)", "Love Me Do"
    Round 6: "P.S. I Love You", "Ask Me Why"
    Round 7: "Misery", "Thank You Girl"
    Round 8: "Do You Want to Know a Secret", "Please Mr. Postman"
    Round 9: "Baby It's You", "I'll Get You"
    Round 10: "You Really Got a Hold on Me", "Roll Over Beethoven"
    Round 11: "Money (That's What I Want)", "Not a Second Time"
    Round 12: "Don't Bother Me", "There's a Place"
    Round 13: "All I've Got to Do", "From Me to You"
    Round 14: "This Boy", "Twist and Shout"
    Round 15: "It Won't Be Long"

Question: When we get to the 1969 rounds, how should I split up the Abbey Road medley?

2. Haristar

I voted for "Please Please Me".

Question: In my opinion the medley should be split up as follows: "You Never Give Me Your Money", "Sun King"/"Mean Mr. Mustard"/"Polythene Pam"/"She Came in Through the Bathroom Window", "Golden Slumbers"/"Carry That Weight"/"The End", "Her Majesty".

linclink and Diamond Star Halo like this.
  3. skydropco

skydropco Rock 'n Roll Nurse

'All My Loving'

4. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Out of these, "All My Loving" goes, corny tripe.

mbleicher1 likes this.
  5. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

Pretty good, though it seems to me Bathroom Window and Sun King could be evaluated as separate songs. Then might as well split up Mustard and Polythene.

For this round, All My Loving.

6. Haristar

The thing is, Sun King and Mean Mr. Mustard were recorded together, and so were Polythene Pam and Bathroom Window. I think if the four songs were counted as one it would give them a better chance than if they were included separately.

linclink likes this.
  7. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

Boy, this is where it gets really difficult. Each of these songs has a very unique musical statement

"I Saw Her Standing There" with exciting count off, and fantastic bass line to propel us into Beatlemania. "Please, Please Me" with gorgeous and exciting harmonies and distinctive guitar riff. "She Loves You" with its famous "yeah, yeah, yeah" and the closer chord. "All My Loving" with Lennon's guitar triplets..try that for a couple of minutes, plus it's bass line is pretty amazing. Then there's the big single of " I Want to Hold Your Hand", which pretty much rocked the whole generation out of it's cradle.

Tough, tough, tough.....

Regretfully......"I Saw Her Standing There"

8. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

I see it differently.

I feel that "Sun King" and "Mean Mr. Mustard" are separate songs, they each have a different structure and arrangement, and a definite start and finish. I would list them as two songs.

"Polythene Pam" and "Bathroom Window" are a different matter. Certainly, they are different songs which have been joined together, and that would argue for separate listings for the two songs. However, "Pam" is very short, and in terms of musical construction, can be seen as an introduction to "Bathroom". "Pam" is all about building up the musical tension, which finds it's climatic harmonic release with the line "She came in through the bathroom window...". This presents an argument for them to be listed together.

How would listing together affect voting? To use "Pam" and "Bathroom" as an example, I see "Pam" as a song fragment that wasn't fully - or even partially - developed, so it's filler in the album (but well used as a buildup to "Bathroom" as discussed in the preceding paragraph). In comparison, I feel that "Bathroom" is more fully realised, and is a track I always look forward to. So if listed together, I would anticipate that "Pam" would cause the two to be voted off early, whereas if they were listed separately I would anticipate "Pam" to be voted out early and "Bathroom" to hang around for a little longer. In the end i don't think it really matters, as neither has the potential to reach the final rounds.

Also, I hope "Her Majesty" does not become an invisible track to vote for!

Haristar likes this.
  9. Haristar

How about put "Sun King" on its own but put "Mustard", "Pam" and "Bathroom" together? Mustard references Pam and they're both comical minute long Lennon songs, and as you say, Pam feels like an introduction to Bathroom, and it's practically impossible to split up the songs cleanly.

Brian Kelly and qwerty like this.
  10. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

My feeling is to keep "Mustard" separate to "Pam" and "Bathroom". "Mustard" may reference "Pam", but the song comes to a complete end and we know that "Pam" is a different song.
    But as I said, ultimately it's academic as I don't predict any of these songs will make it to the final rounds.

Thanks for the polls, BTW. I find it interesting to see the consensus. Many times I think "how can that song be voted off so early?" It just highlights that among the similarity of our Beatles interests we still are all individuals.

11. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. isolation can harm you terribly

All My Loving to go.

DQ: split them up as individual songs, no matter how short.

12. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

She Loves You

DQ: You Never Give Me Your Money and Sun King as separate songs; Mean Mr. Mustard/Polythene Pam/She Came In Through The Bathroom Window together; Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End together; Her Majesty as a separate song.

13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"Loving". Getting very tough to pick!

14. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

I Saw Her Standing There

DQ: Split all the songs in the medley up as separate songs.

15. "All My Loving"

DQ?: I like the way you said you were going to do it previously in the '68 poll.

Side 2 starts with 3 stand alone songs by George, John & Paul (Here Comes The Sun, Because & You Never Give Me Your Money)

Then- Medley #1: Sun King/ Mean Mr. Mustard/ Polythene Pam/ She Came In Through The Bathroom Window

And after that- Medley #2: Golden Slumbers/ Carry That Weight/ The End

Then finally, stand alone track- Her Majesty

Haristar likes this.
  16. John54

John54 Senior Member

Still voting for I Want to Hold Your Hand, despite (as I said last time) its strong nostalgia content for me.

17. Haristar

That's what I was thinking originally but I wanted to see what other people thought.

I think if I separate all the songs, then Sun, Mustard, Pam and Bathroom have almost no chance of making it past the first few rounds. They aren't complete songs at all and it'd be really unfair to put them up against songs like Something and Here Comes the Sun. At least if I put them all together they have a slightly better chance.

Likewise with Slumbers/Weight/End, that has a really good chance of making it to the top five as one piece but its odds would be more slim were I to include them separately.

I'm going to include Sun King separately as its the longest and most complete out of those four songs and it doesn't really fit in with the rest of the Mustard/Pam/Bathroom section.

You Never Give Me Your Money
    Sun King
    Mean Mr. Mustard/Polythene Pam/She Came in Through the Bathroom Window
    Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End
    Her Majesty

linclink and mark winstanley like this.
  18. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

All my Loving

19. Gila

Gila Forum Resident

This is how I split it:

You Never Give Me Your Money
    Sun King / Mean Mr. Mustard (with the real ending cut and pasted from start of Her Majesty)
    Polythene Pam / Bathroom Window
    Golden Slumbers / Carry that Weight / The End

Her Majesty (no leftover D crash at the start and real ending)

20. Haristar

I can't really do that. That's basically an outtake and I've decided to only use canon songs from 1962-1970.

Gila likes this.
  21. All good & of course, your poll-your call, just glad to play here... but... based on previous dialogue here, here is my case...

Here's what Side 2 sounds like to me... the design was intuitive & these results are my subjective feelings & inadvertent - not saying this was their intention, but rather what the design ended up feeling like...

3 stand alones that feel very much like a prologue- George's mid-tempo masterpiece of introducing the dawn is followed by a languid, exquisite Lennon ballad celebrating beauty as it bestows it...

Then, a symetrical repeat of that... though this time with a McCartney mid-tempo masterpiece, followed by another languid, exquisite Lennon ballad- but this time, that Lennon ballad is what truly begins "the medley" & another little swirling symmetry (for the record, while Fleetwood Mac was a starting inspiration for this song, I hear that as a minor & germinal seed... what I truly hear is as profound a single song template for the future feel of peak era 70's Pink Floyd as there is)...

That "medley", to me, is just "the medley", but, for voting purposes, happily, it can be identified as existing in 2 halves.

As you yourself pointed out here earlier "Sun King" & "Mean Mr. Mustard" were recorded together & so were "Polythene Pam" & "She Came In Through The Bathroom Window"- that is literally perfect symmetry - both "Sun King" and "She Came In Through The Bathroom Window" could be argued as being complete enough to be stand alones, but they aren't... each of them are linked, on either side of the two shorter Lennon links... and Mustard & Pam both carry a lyrical link reference, as well as being the pivot, 2 shorter song center, of a 4 song symmetry - 2 short links in the middle, join up a long-short fusion of 2 songs with a short-long fusion of 2 songs...

All this symetrical swirling comes to a culmination with the last 3- "Golden Slumbers" (like "Sun King" & "She Came In Through The Bathroom Window") is the song here that could be a stand alone, but it's followed by 2 short songs... in contrast to the 1st half of the medley, where the two songs are lyrically linked & musically disparate & leading from & to other places... these two are the destination... "The End"... the inevitable sunset that mirrors the sunrise/dawn of the start of Side 2...

...and then, finally, the hidden track, hilarious epilogue punchline that contrasts & quickly pops the bubble of perfect beauty just established... the sweet, winking "and then some" surprise...

There you go... in short I don't think "Sun King" is anymore stand alone than "She Came In Through The Bathroom Window'. It is clearly as linked to "Mean Mr. Mustard" as "Polythene Pam" is to "She Came In Through The Bathroom Window", and/or as "Mean Mr. Mustard" & "Polythene Pam" are.

"Sun King" is also the song that exists as both the end of one 4 song symmetry (Harrison mid-tempo wonder, dreamy Lennon ballad-scape, McCartney mid-tempo wonder, dreamy Lennon ballad-scape)... and the 4 song symetery at the start of the medley...

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    Haristar and Gila like this.
  22. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

Hand for me. Maybe it’s because I wasn’t raised in the US, but it’s never rung with me the same way the other 4 have.

23. Hammerpeg

Hammerpeg Forum Resident

“She Loves You” for the 16th round in a row.

24. Nipper

Nipper His Master's Voice

"All My Loving" to go.

DQ: "Golden Slumbers" medley should stay together. Easy call.

On my iTunes playlists, I have "You Never Give Me Your Money" joined with the rest of the "Sun King" medley. However, for the poll, I would split up all of these songs.

25. Haristar

All very good points. I'm gonna think about it. We have a week or two until it starts.

But at the end of the day I can't please everyone so I'm gonna go with what is right to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.