Led Zep - Heartbreaker - Bass

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sleeptowin, Dec 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luckyno13

luckyno13 Forum Resident

The bass was done when they did the backing track with them all playing together, which is why you hear the spill from the guitar and drums when there's spaces between his notes.
    The Rough Mix was a work in progress so prior to Page trying different solos, the best of which he edited in to the final version as mentioned in post 32.

Dave Hoos and Rose River Bear like this.
  2. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I stand corrected.
    So the rough mixes are not totally different from the studio versions. Now I feel ripped off. :D

luckyno13 likes this.
  3. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

------"WITH A PURPLE UMBERELLA AN' A FIFTY CENT HAT!..." :evil::cool::evil:

4. luckyno13

luckyno13 Forum Resident

Judging from the lack of totally different versions on the companion discs, it would seem that Led Zep were not keen on keeping out-takes when recording.
    Probably because they were dragging the multi-tracks for II around the US in a case and recording where they could and also tape costs money and Page wasn't called Led Wallet for nothing.
    They sadly lacked the foresight that we'd all be happy to buy a box set of the out-takes for each song nearly 50 years later!

Dave Hoos and Rose River Bear like this.
  5. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

The studio recording itself is as a whole a tad on the sharp side, not right on A=440, probably tunes relative so it is possible even without the Leslie effect the bass and guitar wouldn't be as perfectly in tune as if they both had fancy electronic tuners to be exact, but I don't hear personally any more of a deviation between the two as any other recording from that time period that isn't due to effects such as that tremolo

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  6. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

First time I've heard that version. Definitely screams "f*** it, I'll do that later" :p hilarious!

Wild bass tone. John Entwho?

7. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Mostly because they listen to compressed music that hides any nuance which might exist. Well, that and the world is filled with mediocre drummers...

Dave Hoos and MortSahlFan like this.
  8. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

LLM is another often, strangely maligned Zeppelin track. I always thought it was cool and was surprised to hear that many people (even members of the band) apparently think that it's garbage.

Slice and Dr. Funk like this.
  9. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Yeah..........I also don't understand the beating it takes from some Zep fans. I saw a list recently of all of Zep's studio tracks, and it was ranked 4th from last. What the Hell????

Dave Hoos, BDC, Slice and 1 other person like this.
  10. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

Bass played in chords with Distortion Galore!

Dave Hoos and dkmonroe like this.
  11. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I am truly hoping that Hot Dog was last on that list? :D

12. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I think it was Hat's Off To Roy Harper.......:shrug:

13. Slice

Slice Fan Of Rock

Bloody well oughta be. It blows. Heartbreaker pwns.

14. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

it sounds like a amp cranked to the max and heavily compressed..

Great sound

15. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

Also sounds like some tremolo effect from the amp (along with the distortion)

16. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

Most likely, this was due to the Leslie rotating speaker...

Slice likes this.
  17. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Jones was a big part of the sound of the band.

SG47, Dave Hoos and MortSahlFan like this.
  18. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Dragging the tapes in a case? Nope. JP wouldn't waste money on that.

https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/7qCWJJk25GBvFfe2gRoVPS-320-80.jpg

luckyno13 likes this.
  19. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

I think it's because the band don't like it.. If Robert said Stryder was the worst dog he ever had, and crapped all over the house, maybe "Bron-Y-Aur Stomp" would be less thought of in the catalog..
    As it is IMO Led Zeppelin II has among the absolute greatest 1-2 punches of a side 2 in the history of rock... I remember being 15 years old traveling across country (NY-CA)with the family, making a detour in Louisville KY to visit my step moms sister. The sister had a teenage daughter who was strictly into country and maybe Shawn Cassidy type sh!t. I was traveling with a few records and gave Led Zeppelin II a spin. The Daughter couldn't deny the Led Zep II side 2 one two punch. She immediately liked it. This music could reach even hicks......

marmalade166 and Old Rusty like this.
  20. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Zeppelin very frequently exploited odd intonation, often via unusual timbres, sometimes with the aid of effects, sometimes via keyboard patches, sometimes simply via playing techniques. For my tastes they had an intuitive knack for exploiting unusual intonation that had just the right blend of slight dissonance/being outside with being highly emotionally resonant, quirky and pleasantly otherworldly at the same time. It's an important part of their "magic" for me that unfortunately many of the artists they influenced overlook. (With one of the other major things that's often overlooked being the really wide range of genres they fused together.)

21. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

This (circled in red):

[​IMG]

22. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

I don't hear the warble on the isolated bass track. My guess is if a Leslie was used, it was only because it was something laying around with a 15 inch speaker, which would work for bass. I would guess the speaker was not rotating when recorded. I've never played a 360, but I think I could nail that noise with my early 60s 15 watt Lancer Bass amp. No effects needed.

23. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

I never noticed anything being out of tune (and I usually do when something is). Even it it were, this song is too killer for it to matter much.

24. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

It sure is. He's ready displaying his chops on that song. There's not many rock bassists better, in my opinion.

Scroller, SG47 and MortSahlFan like this.
  25. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.