Led Zeppelin - 2007 Show (DVD/CD)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Deuce66, Sep 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Montreux and Astin City Limits release shows on a similar time line all the time. Raconteurs 2008 new release being a perfect example.

2. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

I was somewhat excited at the time of the show, their age and the fact that it was John Bonham's son, not Bonzo himself, that played drums, kept me from a full on YEEHAA !!

I got several recordings of the show, most of what I acquired were pretty good ROIO's and fair video to boot.

But as time has worn on, my interest has diminished to the point of.....

I'll check it out from the library when/if available and probably only watch it one time.

I don't ever see anything by Zep topping their 1970 Royal Albert Hall performance that's on the Led Zeppelin DVD. They were young, energetic, hungry, and the setlist was the best.

3. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

I agree.

They put out a whole DVD full of old stuff.
    They put out a 3-CD set of old stuff.
    They put out a reissue of a soundtrack full of really old stuff.

I think the thing that makes most sense for them –*commercially and legacy-wise – would be to put out some new stuff.

4. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

The only thing that makes this "new" is the date. The songs are all 30 PLUS years old at this point, and to quote you and I hate that I'm doing this because I too am slightly north of this number THIRTY, is really old stuff, just played in 2007.

You can't tell me that they don't have things in the vault that would be spectacular releases, stuff from 1969 or 1971. Look at the ridiculous Experience Hendrix efforts that come out every few months. It's embarrassing. Zep doesn't need to do that, but to put complete concerts out would be nice. They have the source material. They have to.

5. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

Can't wait. Blue ray, please.

6. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I remember seeing that. It was raw, clear video but if they put it out, I'm sure that they would treat it, to give it a film quality, soften it up a little.

7. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

:righton:

But I will still buy this 2007 show :)

8. RichardG

RichardG Forum Resident

You're wrong sorry...there is a HUGE amount of interest in this in the Zep community. And the fact is, regardless of these songs being 30 (sometimes nearer 40) years old, there's never been a live version of For Your Life (which for fans - like me - make it a guaranteed purchase)

We all have various bootlegs of the O2 show, plus several unofficial video, incl the excellent 5.1 multi angle assemblage Work In Progress, but the official release will surpass them all.

The vaults are open - there's more Zep bootlegs than for any other band. Some are awesome and indistiguishable from official releases (Southampton - Any Port In A Storm for instance, plus the soundboard of the Shepperton rehearsals for the O2, which is better than the gig itself IMHO) whereas others are terrible. It's warts and all, and the better for it.

Jimmy is the custodian of the name and legacy so don't hold your breath for a raft of official live releases.

The O2 though, bring it on...and in BluRay. I NEED to see the Kashmir backdrops/animations in 100" HD!!!!

9. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

Kashmir from this show is great! I didn't think Plant still had THAT in him :)

10. RichardG

RichardG Forum Resident

Indeed it was! The highlight, without a doubt. A vindication after all the disappointments of Live Aid, Atlantic 40th anniversary etc.

If you're not a Zep fan, it's difficult to appreciate how much of a milestone in the band's history this gig is. To suggest that it's not that important compared to other possible releases is preposterous.

11. JPJs Bass Guitar

JPJs Bass Guitar Forum Resident

Not sure if you mixed this up with a 1975 show, but Plant definitely wasn't hoarse. In fact, he had the most difficult job of the lot and more than acquitted himself well. His vocals on Kashmir are simply astonishing.

The fact that Plant wants this released officially is testament to that.

It was Page who didn't bring his 'A' game, and the delayed official release of this show (if you were looking for a reason) could well be attributed to that.

That said if/when it is released, those who want to enjoy it will. The others who are looking for faults will find some. Having attended the show, I know which camp I am in, and no-one will ever tell me that this wasn't an amazing show (for all sorts of reasons).

12. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I`m not really interested in this event.Maybe it would have been great to actually have been there but I`m sure I`m not going to listen to this more than once.
    I would much rather hear some other concerts with John Bonham or even some studio sessions or rehersals.

13. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

We are of the same fabric.:agree:

This stuff I would glady take no matter how flawed recording quality may be,warts and all.

14. SoundAdvice

This show does seem stuck in a weird "bell curve". it fine to release something if it's from the last 2 years and it's fine to issue stuff that's older than 10-15 years. Anything between 2-10 years would have buyers wondering "why now?"

15. SoundAdvice

Someone remind me again why the studio albums have been OOP on vinyl for several years?

16. JPJs Bass Guitar

JPJs Bass Guitar Forum Resident

In that case, you are already more than well catered for both officially and (especially in the case of studio outtakes) unofficially.

17. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

According to wikipedia the concerts in Japan were recorded in 1971 but Page wiped them because of poor quality sound.
    There is only a poor audience recording and some 8mm film footage of poor quality that I have seen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Led_Zeppelin_Japanese_Tour_1971

18. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I was fortunate enough to be at the show, and it was wonderful. The music was better than anyone could have hoped for, but the highlight for me was seeing those three guys exchanging cues, looks, smiles - very emotional. Hopefully, they caught it all on video and it will be released to the general public.

19. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

I think people are missing the dimension here that if Zeppelin were to put out something other than the O2 show as their next release, it would render the O2 as damaged goods.

I don't think that's good for the band or their legacy, and that's why it's important that we see this before we see another iteration of How the West Was Won.

20. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Oh they did catch it on video alright.

Check out this technical article from 2008:

http://www.tpimagazine.com/production-profiles/8623/led_zeppelin_the_ahmet_ertegun_tribute.html

Not only did the record the show but also the rehearsals, not only with some HD cams but with an audio rig capable of recording 96 tracks at 96kHz.

Since half decent footage the concert itself has been circulating now for five years, it'd be great if they add a bunch of the rehearsal footage to the DVD, along with perhaps some of the songs that didn't make the final cut on show night. IIRC, Night Flight was one of the songs rumored to have been rehearsed.

21. RichardG

RichardG Forum Resident

Thanks for that great link...lots of stuff I hadn't read before...cheers!

22. BongRattlingBass

BongRattlingBass Forum Resident

I have been holding out for almost 5 years since the release of the audio and video bootlegs of the show. I've come close to watching snippets of the show and friends have offered me boots of the show but I refused. The wait has been overdue and I will be anxious to jump onboard the preorder train and pick this puppy up as soon as I hear its available. I have over 200 bootlegs of Zep but this is the only one I don't have because I want to see this show in the best quality possible so I can get the full live experience since I was not able to attend the show.

23. patsdelight

patsdelight Forum Resident

+1

24. patsdelight

What distinguishes the Southampton show from an official release is the mediocre (bordering on crap, at times) performance, IMHO. Give me a crappy boot of the European Tour from just 6 weeks later. Sound quality isn't everything - I remember how excited I was about the Southampton show - multitrack source, blah, blah, blah. Then I sat down and listened to it. One of those "meh" moments.

...IMHO, of course.

25. patsdelight

Though wikipedia is generally fairly reliable, it's pretty well known in the Zep community that those tapes were definitely not "wiped". General consensus is that Page said that to keep the record company at bay/forgot/or whatever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.