Led Zeppelin - 2007 Show (DVD/CD)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Deuce66, Sep 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 905

905 Senior Member

O2 is a special show for me. Even though I liked Zeppelin alright I never really got into them. But in the days before the show, with all the hype, excitement at this forum, and even the Rolling Stone cover story, I ended up buying all of the Zep CDs and was hooked. Sure, I want some other stuff released as well, but I'm hoping this show is released for the fifth anniversary.

2. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

Sorry to be mysterious about '77, but I've seen the proof that shows were multi-tracked. But the tapes are unfindable, which is why an audience recording of The Song Remains the Same was used on the official DVD release. I'd love it if someone released the '77 soundboards from the LA stint -- not a bad night in that batch on a tour that was full of bad or just average nights.

Barry is a friend and swears the first US show was recorded, but as I've said, we went through his archives and came up empty. He is usually a stickler for details so I'd like to believe it's true, but no trace of it nearly 44 years later, so....

3. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

That cinches it for me; on Sept 12, the O2 show release will be announced. If they announce something else along with it, it might be a bluray release of the 2003 DVD.

4. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

And how about IMAX screenings as a cherry on top?

5. musicalbeds

:agree: I'd LOVE that!

6. musicalbeds

:laugh:

Just saw that on FB from you too!

7. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

Multi-tasking with my good ideas!

But seriously, I'm at peace with never seeing "Led Zeppelin" in my lifetime. I've seen Page solo, Plant solo (several times), and got to see both of their team-up tours, but my chance to see them was in London and that just wasn't gonna happen.

The closest I think I'd be able to experience them now would be an IMAX production. I think if they did that, it would be a big hit.

8. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

No worries it's the way it goes. If you start posting details of what you saw...well probably not a good idea!

It really is the first time I heard of any proof existing re: 77 multi tracks though.

Well you never know. Spirit and Vanilla Fudge were playing so maybe they had intended to record it for radio and when Zeppelin popped up on the bill they decided to record them too. When you see Barry again tell him I really enjoyed his book. It was a fun read. :)

9. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I'm betting that there's going to be some sort of premier or theatrical screenings in a few key cities.

10. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

I was at the show and would purchase this just because of that, but I can not see watching it more than once just to see if I am on it.

11. melkor_morgoth

melkor_morgoth The Real Toe

Boo! :shh:

Seriously, though: Don't buy it if you don't like it! I'd like to think that it might open up the floodgates.

12. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

I'm betting that since the guy who built the 02 arena owns a chain of U.S. movie theaters it'll be more than just key cities. Likely one of those one-night-only nationwide things they do with Bon Jovi and the Grateful Dead.

13. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

2012 is becoming expensive for music fans. What treasure are next I wonder?

14. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

'77 shows multitracked? Need to see the proof because I don't buy it. Many credible sources over the years have confirmed no multitracking was done and that there were plans to multitrack after Oakland, but the tour was cancelled.

15. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Which shows after the Oakland show were meant to be recorded? Is there any info out in net land on that?

16. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

looks like this is happening

from Blabbermouth:

On Saturday (September 8), LED ZEPPELIN posted a cryptic graphic on its Facebook page that is believed to be releated to the imminent announcement of the DVD/CD release of the band's 2007 reunion for the Ahmet Ertegun tribute concert at London's O2 Arena.

An image with the number "Five" — in ZEPPELIN logo font — has sent the rumor mill into overdrive as fans speculate about its meaning.

One clue may have been offered by LED ZEPPELIN guitarist Jimmy Page's manager, Peter Mensch, who alluded to the upcoming release in a tweet on Saturday, writing, "it's almost here. I've seen it and heard it. almost 5 years to the day."

Mensch was more specific in a July 9 tweet when he wrote, "today, [producer/engineer Alan] Moulder continues with his stellar mixing of the O2 show. it's been 5 years coming and it's almost here."

The new LED ZEPPELIN set is rumored to consist of a double DVD accompanied by two CDs and is expected to be released in November.

An estimated nine million people applied for the 18,000 tickets to the O2 Arena show, which featured Jason Bonham taking his late father's place behind the drum kit.

In its review of the concert, NME.com wrote that LED ZEPPELIN singer Robert Plant spoke little during the show, but when he did, it was mostly to pay tribute to Ertegun, who he said after first encore "Whole Lotta Love", "ran the best label in the world" in Atlantic Records.

Speaking to the Los Angeles radio station KLOS in December 2010, Jason stated about the prospect of the concert being released on DVD, "Nothing is official, as yet. I only know that because Robert had said that he'd watched it. I really do hope that it eventually will see the light of day. It's just nice to know that Robert had seen it, so I knew something, but it was nice that he rang up and said, 'Wow, it sounded great.' Fingers crossed, everybody… fingers crossed."

In an interview with U.K.'s Telegraph.co.uk, Plant was asked about ZEPPELIN's 2007 reunion concert. "I really had a wonderful time," said Plant. "It was the best LED ZEPPELIN gig since 1975."

When asked if he would do it again, Plant replied, "I don't think so. You've got to have a lot in common with the people you're working with at this time in your life. Everything has to move on and forward, in all relationships.

"I know that bands that haven't put out a record for 10 years are playing to 20,000 people a night. But that's not the achievement. The achievement is to knock yourself out. It's a very selfish thing. The tail must never wag the dog."

A few months back, radio personality and "That Metal Show" co-host Eddie Trunk tweeted, "Heard from a very reliable source backstage at AEROSMITH show that there will be some sort of LED ZEPPELIN activity around Christmas."

17. dylankicks

dylankicks Forum Resident

I have heard an audio recording of the show but have never seen any of the various video recordings that float about, so I will look forward to seeing this.

18. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

The whole show has been up on Youtube almost since it happened.

19. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

After reading about Peter Mensch's tweet that Alan Moulder was mixing the O2 show I did some research. Turns out he's the guy who mixed Them Crooked Vultures, not to mention a whole bunch of Alt rock acts.

By the way, I thought Jimmy left Peter Mensch to go with another management company, IE Music a couple of years back. However, he's no longer listed on their web site, so he must have gone back to Mensch. I don't believe that report on IE was bogus as they did list him in their roster at one point.

20. musicalbeds

I'll buy it and watch it yearly just to enjoy the memories of being there.

21. Raf

Raf Senior Member

22. musicalbeds

23. Raf

Raf Senior Member

24. 905

905 Senior Member

25. musicalbeds

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.