Led Zeppelin 2014 Remasters - I-III Vinyl Format

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rockclassics, Jun 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member Thread Starter

dee, reb, hodgo and 4 others like this.
  2. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

That's good. Sometimes the discussion get confusing when you combine the vinyl and cd views.

3. ronton99

ronton99 Forum Resident

Do the vinyl versions come with a download code for a digital version?
    If so, what quality are they?
    Thanks!

4. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

How about some 1st impressions :)

quicksrt likes this.
  5. Nick Scott

Nick Scott Forum Resident

Just seen there is a vinyl thread now:

I've played all 3 now (single vinyl editions). I & II are going back. I was unacceptably noisy and II was pretty warped - sounded pretty good mind. II seemed to have load of bass.
    III was perfect - flat & quiet. Too long since I've played my Classic versions to offer any meaningful comparison though.

bibijeebies likes this.
  6. rockclassics

Sorry to hear that. Based on where the vinyl format is being pressed, I expected there would not be these kinds of issues. Hopefully, this type of thing will be minimal.

7. goat65cars

goat65cars Jerry A Great Dog We Miss You RIP 2002 To 2020

anyone compare the new vinyl with any of the original or CLASSIC pressing's? how do they sound compared with original piros or rl's?
    would it be worth picking up the first 3 pressings if you already have decent pressing's of the first 3 lp's?

8. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I know this has probably already been asked somewhere on here, but where are they being pressed? Same place for European versions and American versions?

zphage likes this.
  9. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Thanks Nick for the heads up. LZIII was on my list for these anyway. I think that I will get that one first before the other two.

When they roll out massive reissue projects like this, there is bound to be some rejects out of the bunch. The Beatles reissues come to mind on that. If there are some quality control issues, they should be eventually worked out.

10. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

They are advertised as being pressed at Pallas [Germany]. AFAIK, everything was pressed there for all markets. The US web retailers mention Pallas.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  11. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Oh goodie, I get to partake in all three discussions.

SpinningInfinity and Tremaindous like this.
  12. rockclassics

I can hear the excitement in your post. :D Participate in all 3 and boost your post count. ;)

13. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Well, I hope Nick's problems are an isolated occurrence, German pressings have always been highly regarded from what I have heard. I don't think I own any myself. I have all 3 Super Deluxe editions on the way.

SpinningInfinity likes this.
  14. Graham

Graham Senior Member

No, but if you buy them from Amazon you get to autorips.

AlienRendel likes this.
  15. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Local music stores are giving away a free LZ lithograph with purchase of new Zep product.

16. tyler928

tyler928 Forum Resident

I've heard the same thing re: Pallas, but I've actually never gotten a perfect pressing from them. There is always some sort of residue/discoloration near the end of one side that makes an audible swooshing noise with each rotation. Hopefully these are better.

17. Graham

Graham Senior Member

OK, so my copies of the deluxe vinyl arrived today.

Just fired up LZ1 and there's a faint pre-echo of the 'duh duh' that starts Good Times Bad Times about a second before the song proper kicks in.

I've only ever had the Diament CD of this album - has it always been this way on vinyl?

18. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I have heard that on the original pressings of IV, how is it besides that? I was searching Pallas on here and saw a lot of complaints that their pressing have a lot of static fresh out of the sleeve.

19. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Great that vinyl-editions have their own topic, gonna post some of my thoughts here as soon as have time and mind to listen to these wonderful releases.

20. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

Great thread, hope to get my copies son so i can contribute.

21. I'm listening to the LP of III now.

I'm afraid the reason for me giving the Page/Marino CD away still persists here - the upper mids are overly compressed and fizzy sounding; reverb sounds far bigger that it should do, and in fact sounds downright weird and synthetic in the quieter sections. The treble just sizzles. The quieter the music, the worse it gets - ridiculous in some parts, actually (I think it was during "That's The Way" that I had a "make it stop" moment). Just like the aforementioned CD, it sounds as though the tape has Dolby, and it hasn't been dealt with correctly.

The production is intentionally reverberant, so any pressing will have audio that glistens in *some* way, so it's doesn't need enhancing.

Incidentally, the same thing happened with "Hey, Hey What Can I Do" when it appeared on "The New Age Of Atlantic" (in 1972!); it suddenly sounded fizzy and overly airy. It's fine on the b-side of the Immigrant Song single however.

The original Barry Diament CD doesn't suffer any of the above. Oh well... back to that until I get a decent vintage vinyl copy I guess. A quick glance of some youtube clips of III on older vinyl seems to suggest that the Diament CD is the more correct digital version.

QQQ and Hawklord like this.
  22. ptijerm

ptijerm Forum Resident

I'd love to see some pics of the single LPs from those who have already received them...(inner gatefold, back cover, etc.) ;)

SergioRZ and Giorgio like this.
  23. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Here's my deluxe Led Zep 1......

[​IMG]

Dan Steele, RiRiIII, tmtomh and 13 others like this.
  24. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Sorry, I missed this. Are there single LP's as well as the 2LP deluxe editions? I'm really only looking for LZ II (my 70's pressings of I and III are nice and clean), and I have minimal interest in paying way more for bonus tracks I'll never spin. It'd be great to just get the single LP.

25. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Does your copy have the pre-echo before Good Times Bad Times that I mentioned above?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.