Led Zeppelin 50th anniversary hype..anyone else really don't care?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ronm, Feb 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eddy Baggins

Eddy Baggins Well-Known Member

If they decide to release any studio albums with competent multichannel remixes (5.1, etc.), I'm in.
    Otherwise, I'm good.
    :whistle:

mdm08033 likes this.
  2. astro8585

astro8585 Forum Resident

Sorta my sentiment as well to a lesser degree. Loved them in the 70s but a bit burnt out now. Physical Grafitti is/was one of my favorites though. I'd thought of Presence as guitar oriented but it never dawned on me that it has NO keyboards. Haven't heard it for ages though except maybe Achilles.

footlooseman likes this.
  3. Forklifter

Forklifter Forum Resident

Get off my lawn and turn that noise down.

4. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

No interest here but I do sometimes put something on, usually in the truck. The early stuff is too dated for me now but Houses of the Holy through Presence is good rock stuff. The live stuff-not so much.

5. Danny Duberstein

Danny Duberstein Forum Resident

What a fizzer this turned out to be...

6. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Yea, i like the early stuff a lot. Wish they'd put out some live stuff from the earliest shows. The New Yardbirds shows. That would be awesome. After Graffitti eh lost me there. It's be cool to hear some of those early shows though before they kind became a little bloated and passed.

7. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

All manner of surprises...................
    An explanation is in order........

The Trinity likes this.
  8. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

There's been a collection of soundboards on dime lately (I can't link them here, of course) called Evolution is Timing. There's a compiled set for each touring year and it really gives an idea of what could be done...and that's just from stuff that's leaked out over the years. Surely JP could do a monster set if and when he chooses (and gets the others to sign off).

9. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

The thing is, he would have to spend months on each one tarting it up to meet his exacting standards. I assume you've seen this: The Garden Tapes

10. Rockerbox

Rockerbox Senior Member

The late 90s is probably the last time I could stomach Zeppelin. I couldn't care less about the 50th anniversary of Zeppelin.
    For about 29 years if I feel like listening to Zeppelin I seriously just put on the 2 albums by 70s band Detective that were on Swan Song records.
    Their s/t 1976 debut and their 2nd album "Takes One To Know One". That's my Zeppelin fix.

rnranimal likes this.
  11. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I suspect JP had something like this in mind when he said live stuff would be coming out for the 50th anniversary and beyond. IIRC he said more releases over the next 10 years. Also RP stated all sorts of things would be coming out for the 50th.

Sadly one or more of the other parties did not agree with JPs proposal and it died. WTF happened? So we got nothing for the 50th anniversary.

12. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

haven't but I suspect I'll enjoy it, thanks. Spending months in a studio without recording anything seems to be Page's MO these days. Of course he may be recording constantly and not putting it out...I hope so.

Veni Vidi Vici likes this.
  13. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Soundboards aren't multitracks. Most Zeppelin soundboards sound flat, though they're better than lots of the audience recordings.

It's really a shame they and Peter Grant were so paranoid, and didn't do FM broadcasts throughout their career, like Yes and Genesis did.

RangerXT and Man at C&A like this.
  14. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Outside multi tracks, IFAIC the best Led Zeppelin live recordings are all audience sourced.
    Anyway I never thought they would officially release any of the cassette 2 track SB recordings that exist. I was thinking something could be done with South Hampton and Earls Court. My greatest hope was multi tracks from Japan 70 or 71. I think most of us Zep fans figure there isn't too much left on the cutting room floor, but hope for a big surprise to be unearthed. In the end I couldn't hold them to a standard higher than having not been officially released, and good sound quality. I don't think material exists to do justice to a chronological career retrospective.

Still.....saying "all manner of surprises".......That tends to raise expectations....
    Peace

15. ronm

ronm audiofreak Thread Starter

Yes you can.:pineapple:

16. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

17. Trader Joe

Trader Joe Forum Resident

At this point I really do not care. Any releases beyond new, unreleased studio material (not demos) are not worth one single penny to me. I feel bad for those that purchase any of this slop.

18. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

So, they kinda just stopped following through with all that 50th Anniv. celebration stuff, huh? What gives?

RangerXT likes this.
  19. ronm

I guess as the 50th was last year.

20. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

Yeah, but they didn't even bother completing that "documentary" thing they were doing on social media, and none of the supposed events that were supposed to occur occurred.

RangerXT and ronm like this.
  21. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Led Zeppelin Expereince.

Im still not experienced.

22. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Experience the disappointment.

Because they did manage to grab our attention,I still am VERY curious as to what live music was in the planning to be released.I love multitracks like Madison Square Garden`73.They would never put out a soundboard but I`d gladly take one if that`s all there is from a historic concert like NY 70 or Denmark`71.I know I`m dreaming but just like with Osaka 71, a soundboard would be a substantial improvement over any audience recording.:)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    jay.dee and RangerXT like this.
  23. ronm

Maybe they are just done with Led Zeppelin as much as we are and after some thought said "F it".

24. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I don't think that the band is "done" and I don't think fans are "done" with Led Zeppelin. My thinking is as follows. All of the "super deluxe editions" of their studio catalogue are still available at retail. Also, they have recently released:

5-LP, 3-CD BBC box set,
    4-LP, 3-CD, 1-DVD How the West was Won box set,
    4-LP, 2-CD, 2-DVD Song Remains the Same box set.

All of these massive sets, and well as all of the smaller sets, are still available I believe. The fact that they have released all of these sets shows that there is still a lot of interest in Led Zeppelin releases, but that is a TON of recently released Led Zeppelin product sitting in warehouses. Would it be too cynical to think that perhaps they are delaying the release of any more new material for one or two more holiday seasons to reduce that inventory?

25. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

As someone who was very enthusiastic and also naive about how things would play out, I must say I'm still enthusiastic for any LZ archival projects because – duh – I love the band and always will. I also think that there's something other than incompetence or poor planning afoot to explain why the 50th came and went without any new music as promised. It's possible that it's intra-band conflict or something to do with outstanding legal proceedings. I hope that when whatever that is gets fixed, we'll start to see things break loose.

The Trinity likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.