Led Zeppelin 50th anniversary hype..anyone else really don't care?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ronm, Feb 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Do you go for Superhype?

2. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

The whole point of Zeppelin live was that it wasn't just Zeppelin playing Zeppelin stuff (as it was on the records.)

Also to take your statement literally, what stuff do you think they should have played live if not Zeppelin stuff? Beatles stuff? Stones stuff? Abba stuff?

3. perplexed

perplexed Forum Resident

Looking forward to HTWWW in 5.1 and on vinyl. Also looking forward to what if any other live material is released.

Not at all interested in any other remixes or outakes -- didn't much care for most of what was issued on the expanded album releases.

4. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Why the BBC Sessions?

That was a couple of years back. Nothing BBC on the horizon at all.

By all means criticise but not on the basis of non facts.

Adam Bosman likes this.
  5. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

I didn't realize the BBC sessions got a remaster in 2016. I thought I was 'in the loop.' sheesh!

6. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Where is that?

7. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

good point... perhaps OP is like me and has heard so much bootleg in concert Zep that its difficult to look forward to yet another one from an era he doesnt like

However, I do have to admit, the recent Seattle 75 soundboard is awesome.

8. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

I don't really care from the perspective that Zeppelin turning 50 will make me love them anymore than their 30th or 40th. Or 49th. :)

But if it results in an excuse to buy more of their stuff then I'm in! :p

In all honesty, it's amazing to think the likes of Led Zeppelin or Sgt Pepper are still being celebrated and collected a half century later. Who would have guessed? And both bands continue to sound better and better to me as time passes on. I consider both "fine wine bands". It's almost as if you have to let both artists come to you over time. Great stuff and repeatedly rewarding stuff. At least for me. I doubt that it's any coincidence that both bands tend to be regarded as the two most significant of the last 50 years. If sales continue to count for anything. As they say, "the good stuff continually rises to the top".

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  9. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

More than likely Earls Court.

ohnothimagen and bobcat like this.
  10. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

You must really hate Living Loving Maid (She's Just a Woman).

11. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

I love The Crunge! One of JPJ's favourite Zeppelin songs too.

DHamilton and Isaac McHelicopter like this.
  12. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Easy to see why- great bass on that one!

Haggis Wampovich likes this.
  13. mrcond

mrcond Forum Resident

I always thought that, for all the songs that were presented in instrumental-only versions on the expanded editions, this is the song that would have benefited the most. Killer rhythm section on that one.

14. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Well, or just oddly picky/hard to please, with pretty narrow tastes for some reason(s).

15. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

And the rhythm guitar is not too shabby either. It’s a nice nod to James Brown, too :)

ohnothimagen and mrcond like this.
  16. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

While I'm a BIG Zeppelin fan I'm done spending money on their media. I've got multiple versions of all their studio releases and I'm happy with that. As long as I have my RL mastered Zep II I'm good :edthumbs:

17. ohnothimagen

Isn't "The Crunge" basically a James Brown song Robert Plant just sang different lyrics over top of?

18. Which one?

19. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

I don't recall any James Brown songs in 9/8 but yes, it's clearly a bit of a homage.

20. ohnothimagen

Don't know, but I thought I read that somewhere, Hammer Of The Gods I think it was, so, yeah, I probably should take that with a pinch of salt considering the source...

21. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. .

you can get up to 50 pages, a hundred pages, I still really won't care.

a strange question to ask for a thread...

22. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

Think it was the other way round, with "Hammer" implying that the tune was original but the lyrics were just a rewrite of Mr Pitiful.

23. ohnothimagen

Could be, haven't read the thing in years...didn't Stephen Davis also claim musically "Royal Orleans" was just a knockoff of "Cissy Strut" by The Meters?

24. Terrapin Station

Other than the subject matter--which is hardly something unusual for a song--there really isn't any lyrical similarity. Plant references the song by saying "Ain't gonna call me Mr. Pitiful," but that's it really.

The "my name"/"how I got my fame" line is in "Mr. Pitiful", too, and that will sound familiar to Zeppelin fans, but it's rather found in "How Many More Times", and there, it's rather part of the section that's a lengthy lyrical quotation of Albert King's "The Hunter". As far as I know "The Hunter" was written after "Mr. Pitiful". At least per release dates, "Mr. Pitiful" was released as a single in 1964, and was on Redding's The Great Otis Redding Sings Soul Ballads, whereas "The Hunter" was on King's Born Under a Bad Sign from 1967, but I wouldn't be surprised if the "my name"/"how I got my fame" line wasn't from some earlier blues or R&B tune that I'm either not aware of or that I'm just not recalling at the moment. Especially blues has always been very liberal about borrowing and adapting, stemming partially from that fact that it functioning like folk music for so long--primarily passed from person to person via "oral transmission." Led Zeppelin were simply carrying on that tradition, as have many other blues-rock artists.

25. Terrapin Station

No idea how he'd be hearing that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.