Led Zeppelin BBC Sessions (UPDATE - Remastered & Expanded CD & Vinyl Releases 16th September 2016)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BigDanT, Oct 25, 2015.

1. BigDanT

BigDanT Forum Resident Thread Starter

Are these being remastered, Im going to buy the double CD but if a new remaster is coming out I'll wait.

2. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Haven't heard anything.

3. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

It's a great set, go ahead and oick up the CD.

SillyRabbit, John Bonham and Helmut like this.
  4. Bossyman

Bossyman Forum Resident

My favorite Zep of all-time. And I'm a huge fan and own all of their releases, live stuff, etc.

5. Jonboy

Jonboy Forum Resident

I've resisted picking these up because it's been said a few times here that the mastering is loud and compressed.

DR average is 9 :(

George P likes this.
  6. Bossyman

Bossyman Forum Resident

I just love the music.

sathvyre likes this.
  7. formbypc

formbypc Forum Resident

Just buy the CD that's out already. There's precious little 'remastering' that can be done with them. I wouldn't be surprised if they were recorded direct to two-track tape, mixed on the spot, with no multi-tracks in existence.

They might EQ, compress, noise reduce them, but you're not going to get a 'night and day' difference.....

danielbravo, DrBeatle and wiseblood like this.
  8. BigDanT

BigDanT Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies my friends, Im gonna order the CD now

9. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

Definitely worth it! If you enjoy this I would encourage your next step for live Zeppelin to be the 3 CD "How the West was Won" and/or the 2DVD Led Zeppelin DVD. These really show what an amazing live band they were.

10. formbypc

formbypc Forum Resident

Some of the 'sessions' are actually concert recordings. Strictly speaking, a BBC 'session' was done behind closed doors, in one of the BBC studios, not a concert venue.

11. klaw

klaw Forum Resident

Yeah, the last four songs on disc 1 is a live session and disc 2 is a full concert recording.

The guitar sound on the early sessions kills! I love BBC sessions (not just Zep's).

12. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

Think they'll ever re-issue the BBC vinyl box set? Man!.......original sets are pricey!

Sean and J Vanarsdale like this.
  13. Paulo Alm

Paulo Alm Forum Resident

It's well worth picking this up, although it's a big shame the 'sessions' are not complete at all. This set could've been released in a MUCH BETTER fashion, and I hope for that one day, but don't think it will be remastered or redone any time soon, so...

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
    warewolf95, DrBeatle and J Vanarsdale like this.
  14. liboriofriki

liboriofriki Forum Resident

Any info about a 4cd version of it? saw it once in a shop and didnt pick it up.. never seen it again

15. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

Don't say that too loudly around these parts. Armchair mastering engineers will get furious...

paulisdead and eelkiller like this.
  16. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

There was a 4 CD Russian boot supposedly done from vinyl.:cheers:

17. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I lucked into a mint set used on record last year for $30. My local had no idea what they had. The records sound great and I really don't think the CDs are that bad.

danielbravo and JeffMo like this.
  18. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

Awesome score on the vinyl box set! It would be nice to see it re-issued sometime next year, along with a vinyl pressing of "How The West Was Won"!

19. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Sometimes the music takes priority over a number.

wavethatflag, supermd, FJFP and 9 others like this.
  20. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Agreed - and these are old radio shows anyway. They are what they are, so we just need to enjoy them!

wavethatflag and mdm08033 like this.
  21. Jonboy

Jonboy Forum Resident

For you maybe - I just find loud masterings unlistenable - I'll stick with my rip of disc 1 of DVD, I think ;)

marcb likes this.
  22. formbypc

formbypc Forum Resident

Too bad. I still have my off-air recordings from when they were broadcast on the Friday Rock Show in the late 1970s, and I reckon they have more immediacy than any CD issue. No processing, an engineer would just have taken the original master off the shelf, put it on a tape machine in the studio, and hit 'Play' - and nothing but pure Led Zep would have gone out over the airwaves - no post-processing, no messing around - just the sound of the master tape.

pez likes this.
  23. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

I am so glad I picked that box set up when it was new. $70 back in the day. This and Live in Gdansk are two vinyl boxes I will never regret picking up.

tyinkc likes this.
  24. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Don't kid yourself. I'll bet there was some sort of processing by the radio station before it went out over the air. All stations have some sort of processing. Granted the processing today is way more than what it was in the 70s....there was still some compression, etc in the 70s.

25. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

The vinyl was mastered from digital, so you are OK with the cheaper CD option. Not that I'd object to getting my hands on the vinyl if I lucked out like the guy up thread who got it for $30!