Led Zeppelin 'How The West Was Won' - 2018 Multiple Format Remasters (Pricing & Shipping Thread!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Jan 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Yes, I did hear it. I prefer the new remaster, but to each their own.

2. Me too.

tonik2000 and tmtomh like this.
  3. tonik2000

tonik2000 Active Member

4. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

I’m going to pick up the HTWWW Bluray tomorrow. I just got done listening to TSRTS Bluray and what a treat! Best way to hear this album IMO, so if they did this great a job then I’ve got to hear HTWWW.

All I have is the original 3 CD set so I’m looking for an upgrade.

5. Well worth the upgrade.

6. Vinyl Fan 1973

Jamming to the Bluray now, and this thing is awesome. I could immediately tell the difference compared to the original CD, and the Bluray is a more enjoyable listen.

It’s also nice to listen straight through like a regular concert experience, and not have to get up to change the CDs.

Well worth $26.

7. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

8. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I own the Blu ray as well and it is excellent but just curious if you’ve heard the vinyl? It is truly spectacular. I might recommend searching it out if you don’t own it already.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  9. Vinyl Fan 1973

I have not heard the vinyl, but I’d love to. I’ll definitely keep my eyes open for it. I did pick up the BBC Sessions, and that was a beautiful sounding set on vinyl.

Jam757 likes this.
  10. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I own BBC sessions as well and it is great but probably due to the source material and/or tapes the How The West Was Won is just incredible sound quality. It actually blew me away! I highly recommend it, think I paid around $95 so not sure what it’s going for now. Jimmy Page out did himself on this one!

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  11. Rockin' Robby

Rockin' Robby Gettin' down so low I'm below ground!

John Rhett Thomas likes this.
  12. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

Me too.

13. unravelled

unravelled Forum Resident

I would say the sound is excellent but not quite perfect on my system. Just a touch bright. However, that is a small nit to pick. Just wanted you to get one more opinion. I do play it often and enjoy it thoroughly.

Top 5 live album of all time for me. I'd include it with the Who's Live at Leeds, Wilco's Kicking Television, and My Morning Jacket's Okonokos (personal fave). All these albums, plus HTTWW, really captured the afore mentioned bands at the peak of their live in concert powers!!!!!

tmtomh likes this.
  14. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Rockin' Robby likes this.
  15. old school

old school Senior Member

The Blu Ray of HTWWW is awesome brought back great memories for me I was there that night in 1972 at the Long Beach Arena the boys were on fire especially John Bonham they played at least 3 hours with a acoustic set wonderful evening.

laf848, snkcube, jay.dee and 10 others like this.
  16. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

tmtomh likes this.
  17. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

Hopefully we see a great deal like this eventually for Song Remains The Same. It’s
    the only super deluxe I am missing, but I have an older vinyl copy that is fine, and it’s not even my go to live Zeppelin album, so I have been unable to justify it

tmtomh likes this.
  18. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Rockin' Robby, tmtomh and superstar19 like this.
  19. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

20. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

I suspect someone must’ve swooped and bought the lot. It went from 5 in stock to zero in about 15 minutes!

21. sully12

sully12 Forum Resident

Walmart has super deluxe at $119, 3 left.

22. Tripecac

Tripecac Forum Resident

I have the 2018 CDs for How the West Was Won , plus a previous version (which is stored away in a box somewhere so I don't know what year it was). I did an A/B comparison, and heard some slight differences (the 2018 seems at times to have more high-end) but honestly, they sound incredibly close. The 2018 set slightly better DR numbers overall.

Is there a consensus on which mastering is the "best" one? I'd prefer to keep only one copy on my hard drive.

Thanks!

23. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

The new one is best. Less harsh to listen to.

24. marcb

marcb Senior Member

The new one is better - but you are correct. It’s not much of a difference. There’s a lot of confirmation bias here though IMO from folks who desperately wanted to believe the original could be appreciably improved upon. The crappy sound is mostly baked into the mix.

superstar19 likes this.
  25. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

The newest remaster is a little better, comparing the two this one is less harsh on the ears although it is not a huge difference at all. I wish WLL wasn't edited down though, what I did was keep the 2018 on my hard drive along with WLL from the original issued CD

danielbravo and superstar19 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.