Led Zeppelin I 1977 reissue odd matrix's

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brian roth, Mar 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian roth

Brian roth Member Thread Starter

I came across a Led Zeppelin I reissue with A and B matrices by different engineers. Side A is George Piros and side B is Dennis King.

ST-A-681461-PR
    ST-A-681462-PR

Side A: ST-A-681461-E @T/GP PR
    Side B: ST-A-681462-F(etched) ATLANTIC STUDIOS D.K.(stamped)

Did they just grab the DK stamper because the Piros stamper wore out or was damaged?

2. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Likely they had to go through all the trouble to have it made as the GP stamper was wearing out faster. You make it seem like their was one on the shelf. This is a 1977 reissue of a 1969 album.

3. marcb

marcb Senior Member

It wasn’t super unusual to find hybrid pressings from completely different cuts for 70s/80s U.S. big selling LPs.

Record production wasn’t nearly as linear as many like to believe. Particularly with re-presses. They were just making records for people to buy. The vast, vast, vast majority of record buyers didn’t notice such things then (and probably wouldn’t notice now unless you told them). I’m sure the old plant workers would have quite a chuckle over the matrix OCD found here.

Brian roth likes this.
  4. Brian roth

Brian roth Member Thread Starter

Wouldn't it have been easier to just make another stamper from the B: side mother than cut another lacquer? Maybe they were changing over to the D.K. cut after the Piros? They were both pressed in 77 at SP.

5. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Maybe the mother was worn or damaged. Maybe they had both and the DK was closer. Who knows.

Again it wasn’t super uncommon and they were just making product. Nobody would care.

Brian roth and curbach like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.