Led Zeppelin I-IV 2014 remasters considered the best?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Plissken99, Dec 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

Also causes chickens to lay cube-shaped eggs, chihuahuas to give birth to tarantulas, and molten lava to pour out of your ice maker.

Sandinista and tmtomh like this.
  2. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

Nice post but are there 2014 and 2015 CDs?

3. Jonboy

Jonboy Forum Resident

Yeah, Physical Graffiti onwards were released in 2015 IIRC.

4. marcfeld69

Oh, I see, I was thinking of them as over two years, just as the 2014 series.

5. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

He's saying they were released 2014 and 2015.

6. marcfeld69

Yeah, I was a bit slow there. But there was a previous round of Jimmy remasters, wasn't there?

7. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Good point, for some reason I thought there was based on other posts on here but now I see that they were all part of the recent reissue campaign which makes sense. I cannot edit my review but would follow up to say I have been pleased with the sound on all the new CDs. Although they are louder it is not squashed to the point of Mothership (2007 version). Can anyone comment on the sound quality of the Crop Circles box set vinyl from 1990? I will have this in around 3 weeks anyway but just wondering and I would think it is pretty fantastic.

8. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I wonder if they will ever remaster or re-release How The West Was Won? The original mastering is a little loud and it would also be great to get this one on vinyl. I am still old school in that I prefer The Song Remains The Same as the greatest live Zeppelin but they both are spectacular. Of course as many others have mentioned the full BBC Sessions on vinyl would also be great.

ODShowtime, Jonboy and tmtomh like this.
  9. marcfeld69

It's interesting to see the Crop Circles get a mention. I have no idea if others here are as positive as you. Will be interesting as you say to know what others think.

10. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Spoken word of a person that clearly has never even listened to a vinyl record. It is not a subtle difference and annihilates all other mediums 100% of the time. Hey, if you like MP3's then knock yourself out but if you want a truly incredible listening experience then it has to be vinyl all the way.

gohill and The Beave like this.
  11. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Well, for me personally I do think Crop Circles sounds better than the original CDs that were put out. According to Page this was the first time the proper original tapes were used. I think there is added detail in the Crop Circles CDs that was not there on the originals. Mostly though I have to admit, I am buying this for the few songs that you can't get like White Summer/Black Mountain Side. I am very pleased with the recent Zeppelin reissue campaign.

tmtomh likes this.
  12. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Wrong.

PyroMessiah, DiabloG, tkl7 and 2 others like this.
  13. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Not wrong and not an opinion. Fact.

The Beave likes this.
  14. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Not in the least. Vinyl does not annhiliate all other media 100% of the time.

15. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

In my experience it does but I don't contend that all digital music or Cd's sound terrible, I just don't think they can match the sound of vinyl. There is poorly produced vinyl too and that is a whole other story. I enjoy HD downloads and enjoy my Ipod as well but if you try and tell me that a CD or even a HD download will sound better than a mono 1968 Stones record I say you're nuts. A little crackle or a pop here and there is a very, very small price to pay for the enhanced sound quality.

16. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Your use of hyperbole and satire is superb. There may be a job waiting for you at The Onion. Well done. Well done indeed.

InStepWithTheStars, tkl7 and lbangs like this.
  17. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

was that supposed to be funny?:cop:

18. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Your posts were quite amusing, yes.

Sandinista likes this.
  19. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Lots of "geniuses" on the Board today! LOLo_O

20. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Again, I contend that you have never in your life listened to a record.

21. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The laughs keep coming!

Chooke and Sandinista like this.
  22. Eduardo Denaro

Eduardo Denaro Forum Resident

Don't pick a fight you can't win. You're awfully new here to be arguing with residents.

That being said, I am thankful for the LZ remasters. I have them in both cd and vinyl form. I find myself listening to them quite often and I think that the sound on each medium is superb. If you have a good cd player you'd hear that the sound varies minimally between the two formats.

Lost In The Flood, tmtomh and lukpac like this.
  23. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

As this has turned into a pissing contest I will bow out. Have fun listening to your MP3's man! You might want to think of actually posting an intelligent response to back up your opinion though.
    I would call it a matter of disagreement but obviously if someones mind is made up then so be it. I consider it to be their loss anyway but would happily listen to their reasoning as to why vinyl is an inferior medium? My ears tell me otherwise but hey if MP3s is all you need then knock yourself out. I grew up on CDs and just started collecting vinyl about 2 years ago and it was truly an eye opener in the improvement in sound on many of the CDs I own. I do agree that the remasters have been great, Rush, and Beatles mono remasters fantastic as well.

24. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Oh, you were actually being serious? With statements like "It is not a subtle difference and annihilates all other mediums 100% of the time"? I figured nobody could be serious saying that.

An intelligent response? Ok, sure. I have a fair amount of vinyl, and I've heard needledrops of quite a bit more. I've done a lot of needledrops myself and shared some of them on this forum (and to the world). I've heard some vinyl that sounds amazing, but I've also heard more than my share that is compromised in various ways. Clicks/pops and other surface noise, for certain, but also distortion inherent in the cutting (not to mention distortion caused by wear/damage). Maybe you don't care if your records are noisy and distorted, but I do (I wouldn't buy 15-20 copies of some 45s looking for a clean copy if I didn't), and I don't think many would agree that said records annihilate all other mediums.

Ask some engineers if the inner grooves of an LP sound as good as the outer grooves.

Yes, I would happily take a 320kbps AAC mastered right from tape over a distorted 45 any day of the week, and I'm happy to admit it. There are no doubt some CDs that are poorly mastered, but 1) that's a problem with the mastering, not the format and 2) there are plenty of records that are poorly mastered as well.

[​IMG]

25. Hawklord

Hawklord Senior Member

:biglaugh:

Sandinista likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.