Led Zeppelin II RL Prices Have Gotten Insane

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ellingtonic, Jul 4, 2018.

1. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident Thread Starter

Lately I've seen starter copies of the LZ II RL with asking prices of $50 or more which was an eye opener, but this Discogs listing blew me away: Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II: LP, Album, "RL For Sale | Discogs . $300 for a VG Monarch pressing?! That's just insane.

I have a CTH RL Side 1, LH (Lee Hulko) side two that was $5 on eBay years ago as my primary copy, and a double RL/SS Presswell that was $5 or $6 at a local store. Is anyone else shocked at what people will pay for this record?

2. Well that is part of collecting, particularly once something becomes a Holy Grail, and it still cheaper than the Classic 2lp 45rpm Zep Road Case series.

mikeyt, Swansong, rxcory and 3 others like this.
  3. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

No. Not really, considering the title and it's status. I recently paid nearly $100 for a VG++ OG MoFi. Worth every penny too. :righton:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  4. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

I'm not that surprised - we here at SHTV are significantly responsible. Google 'Led Zeppelin II RL' and you will find a couple of Discogs links and a whole lot of thread links to this site discussing this 'Holy Grail'. I believe it fuels the buyers and sellers - same thing with Simon & Garfunkel 'Bookends' mono. And I'm not making any judgements here - it's info we want and need! :shh:

5. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Discogs, like ebay and other online sales sites, often have a percentage of 'elite' fixed pricings. Its just the way the market is. Look up most any popular pop record and you'll typically see an upper priced copy thats far beyond the average. Could be because its a true NM copy, or the seller isn't interested in letting it go for less.

6. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Just because it's listed @ $300 doesn't mean anyone will buy it. I could see someone purchasing a copy for $300, but not VG graded. Obvious click bait as there are 2 other listings VG graded for $100.

Kundalini, bluesky, VinylRob and 12 others like this.
  7. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

If sellers are labeling an RL as such, then yes, the prices are bound to rise as time goes on. I was looking for one a few months ago but got discouraged when I saw the prices were all over $70 on eBay (and even more on Discogs). Just couldn't see myself paying that much for a single record (still can't TBH), even if it's considered a holy grail. I finally ended up getting mine for a little less than $50 with some spare eBay bucks. The seller said it was in VG condition, but it surprisingly played closer to VG+.

Dorian75, joshm2286 and e.s. like this.
  8. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

In my experience if You live in the US, You can eventually find almost everything locally and usually at better price.
    I don't even pay attention for these crazy eBay and Discogs prices, they for people living abroad who cannot access this records any other way unless through eBay and Discogs. They are usually the ones driving up these insane prices anyway.
    Remember, this record was pressed and sold in US in huge quantities, just keep looking locally.
    I found my copy about four years ago for $1.99 in VG-VG+ in local store's discount bin. At the same store they had late 70s reissue with better cover priced at $20.

9. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Check out the want to buy in the classified section here. There's a member that's willing to pay big dollars for one.

10. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

They're not making any more of them.

How many do we think were pressed in the first place? Does anybody know?

uzn007 and joshm2286 like this.
  11. libertycaps

In the US, RL's of II were original pressings, then recalled. They are rare.

12. Exit Flagger

Yes, I know. I was just wondering if we know the original run numbers.

13. From one of the earlier threads here on the subject I got the impression there were at least 50,000 -100,000 pressed. Could be wrong.

PM 1331, Peter Marchesi and joshm2286 like this.
  14. Exit Flagger

I assume they were in stores for a little while.

I bought a slightly noisy one a few years back at an estate sale for $2 right before the sale was ending. It had been really played. The owner must have loved it.

15. libertycaps

Hard to know what the initial US run was. I'd say at least 100K. The first LP did well, but doubt it was Gold status by the time II was released. Remember we're talking about LP sales in 1969. It was a completely different world back then. "Stereo" was considered new technology back then.

How many returns of the OG RL run of II is even more difficult to speculate. I'd say at least 50K.
    US RL's of II are quite rare.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    PM 1331 likes this.
  16. DBMartin

DBMartin Forum Resident

I got mine (VG double RL) for 25 euros here in the Netherlands, which is close to how many Dutch record store owners price LZ II copies (usually between 15 and 30 euros). This particular owner I bought it from is very knowledgeable about records, but probably didn't know about the RL's status. Perhaps it's also a much better known public secret in the US than it is in Europe...

Dodoz likes this.
  17. savemenow

savemenow Forum Resident

If you are older than 50, you most likely can't hear any difference at all, just get yourself a clean copy (LP or CD), crank it up, and ENJOY!! IMO, it's Page's awesome production that completely enhances the already great, great music.

seaisletim, mecano, wrat and 6 others like this.
  18. Zep II was certified US Gold (500K units) Nov 10, 1969

19. libertycaps

Wow. That was fast/pre-order sales as it was released in the US on Oct 22 1969. Such a killer killer killer record. Still sounds fresh today.

Rockin' Robby and savemenow like this.
  20. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Aside from the post-RL US release. I can hardly hear ANY difference between these pressings. Save your money.

21. Zep I was certified US Gold in July 69; after a Jan 69 release

22. libertycaps

Fair enough. A bit surprised by that. I assumed US I sales were driven by the popularity of II.

23. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I don't think they were recalled though, just recut.

24. wpjs

wpjs Forum Resident

Bought one last year- Ex quality- no skips- Paid $65 plus $8 for Ultrasonic clean job- no noise, pops or crackle.
    I'm over 50 and I can tell the difference.
    Wouldn't sell it, but if I did would have to get $100+

papatwo likes this.
  25. libertycaps

And i agree with the sentiment: Just find a clean original/early reissue pressing of II. It will knock yer socks off regardless....if you've got the gear to do the business.