Led Zeppelin in the 80s?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by R79, May 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

shudders at the thought :shake:

2. zen

zen Senior Member

..Led Zeppelin in the 80's

[​IMG]

LeBon Bush and Man at C&A like this.
  3. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

What's to say Bonham would have remained as good a drummer? It takes a lot of stamina and this is a man who really didn't take care of himself.

4. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident

I can see it being a lot like AC/DC in the 80's where they would have either embraced keyboards and the 80's or gone almost metal like AC/DC did (who also experimented with different 80’s production styles) and alienated blues-rock purists (as AC/DC did) and album sales/interest would wane a bit but they'd still remain a huge live attraction before having a huge comeback at some point, probably when grunge hit.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    Man at C&A likes this.
  5. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

They already had embraced keyboards. Considering Robert Plant had nothing against them they would almost certainly have carried on using them.

erikdavid5000 likes this.
  6. mono-o-mono

mono-o-mono Forum Resident

The band literally said they could not continue without their drummer and then went in entirely different directions in their solo careers. Not a chance in hell they would have continued and swapped new members. They were done. They knew what they created.

Mook likes this.
  7. Rochdale3

Rochdale3 Forum Resident

Post Punk, pretty decent Post Punk.

8. Rochdale3

Rochdale3 Forum Resident

Here's Page's response in an interview in The Guardian in 2015:

The Guardian: The great counterfactual of rock is what might have happened had Zeppelin continued into the 80s. What kind of direction do you think you would have taken had John Bonham not died?

Jimmy Page: John and I liked to discuss what we would like to do on the next album, and if you listen to Led Zeppelin all the way through you can hear all the things I like to do – riffs that would be quite tricky, interesting, provocative. And he loved playing this sort of stuff. So we definitely would have done some guitar-driven riff things because he loved all of that and because we’d just done a keyboard album.

9. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

If Page and Bonham had somehow cleaned up they would have surely remained a commercial force, given what Robert Plant was accomplishing all by himself. Even if they didn't, really, as long as they could function. Hell, Zep was one of the most popular bands in US high schools for most of not all of that decade even being gone. Like somebody said they would surely have had a terrible power ballad MONSTER HIT or two...and hard rockers for the boys.

10. Scott6

Scott6 Forum Resident

…..would not have worked. 1977 onwards they were simply boring and had turned into that classic dinosaur rock band punk needed to wipe out. ITTOD is not a great album at all. The 1980 tour, playing smaller venues and dropping all the dull past their sell by date epics was a sensible idea. But I just don't think they would have handled the 80's well at all.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  11. davers

davers Forum Resident

I think rock radio was getting burned out on them by the early 80s and needed a bit of a break (I recall a DJ making a comment to that effect on her radio show).

Plant did a great job of transitioning into the 80s with a more modern sound that still retained some of the old Led Zeppelin muscle.

12. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

His drumming on ITTOD is stellar and he wasn't the problem on the 1980 tour.
    I know pub/alcohol culture in the UK runs deep, so maybe Bonham would of never changed. That said, he was a real family man with roots and had the things in place to change, if he wanted to.

Page was playing pretty good guitar on stage by the time of The Firm and he never lost his studio ability.... Some differ, but I really like all of his guitar solos on ITTOD...

Man at C&A and juanmanuel like this.
  13. Old Fart At Play

Old Fart At Play He won't eat it, he hates everything

Someone earlier made the observation that Peter Grant was also a complete mess at that time. Robert Plant was having issues with him, and let him go not too long after he started his solo career. Richard Cole was in jail. It seems like the entire organization was falling apart. Kind of like Elvis in '77 or the Dead in '95, it's almost impossible to imagine how they could have continued much longer. I think Bonham's death was just the particular manner in which the inevitable happened.

14. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

That is a horrible idea, just horrible ...

misteranderson likes this.
  15. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

I'm glad they ended when they did. They have a mythology that hasn't been tarnished.
    It is only recently that I started exploring their solo work (just Plant atm). I'm enjoying his work immensely, Pictures at Eleven, Now and Zen and Fate of Nations.
    Plenty more to discover.
    I think it likely that Plant would have provided the artistic guidance for any Zep in the 80's.

16. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I agree with an earlier poster— if Bonham didn’t die , Page would have.

Same effect.

The rock gods decreed that Zeppelin would not endure the ‘80’s.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  17. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

I think they would have done well, especially considering the quality of Plant's first two solo albums.

18. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

I don’t know about that. Bands like LZ were being pushed aside for Punk, New Wave in the latter 70’s. Massive effect? That’s a stretch. Even if Bonham didn’t die and the band continued, their relevance in the 80’s would have been diminished, IMO.

Man at C&A likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.