Led Zeppelin Japan 1971 tapes

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Duckman

Duckman Forum Resident

These SB sources are advertised as 'true stereo' but they are not. Check any of the 1971 SB tapes and left and right channel are identical musically (with the exception from some post production additions like EQ or delay). There is no separation whatsoever, except for the Hampton SB from the US tour where the left channel has Bass guitar and bass pedals.

Mlle. Aurora and RayS like this.
  2. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

I suppose a bona fide '68 recording would be worth something, especially if it was a good one.

But the January '69 tape from the Whisky in LA is only two weeks later than Denver, and it's about as good as it gets for something so early.

marmalade166 likes this.
  3. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

It would have to sound 20 times better for it to be listenable to me. It sounds THAT bad!

4. kwf

kwf Forum Resident

Saw this info online:

"Mike Millard’s master cassettes, long rumored to be destroyed or lost, have been found. Not all of them, but many, and with them a much more complete picture has emerged of what Millard recorded between his first show in late 1973 and his last in early 1992...."

Anaheim 1981 major upgrade coming / Mike Millard Masters - Rush

RayS, jhm, ODShowtime and 1 other person like this.
  5. misteranderson

Then you don't like the sound of LZ bootlegs, 'cos honestly not many sound ten times better than the Osaka '71 soundboards.

All the other soundboards from that year sound worse.

6. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Such a missed opportunity with DEs...

I'm still pissed off!

rockclassics and steveharris like this.
  7. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

We`re fans it`s only human.

8. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

New Osaka 9/29/71 soundboard sample:

9. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

You're right. I like the content of the bootlegs, but not the sound, really. The soundboard only YouTube link posted here sounds terrible like it's been processed to death. The other version I linked to has the audience recording spliced in where the soundboard recording is missing, and that one sounds totally fine to me. What happened to it? That's not the original quality.

10. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

How and why would something be "true stereo" coming from the output of a mixing desk at a live concert? I sometimes think there is confusion about what "soundboard" means.

Mlle. Aurora likes this.
  11. Are you saying that a live mix can't be done in stereo and/or the soundboard output can't be stereo?

marcb likes this.
  12. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

I'm a bit in love with this.

13. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Of course things can be in stereo (provided that you have a desk with pan pots, not sure what desks were used at the time), but what would be the point?

14. Duckman

Duckman Forum Resident

From an article in the 90's Proximity's Zep fanzine, I understand Led Zeppelin used a front of the house (FOH) mixing desk and a monitoring panel (on stage). The FOH soundboard tapes especially from Zep's US 73, 75 and 77 tours do feature genuine stereo effects like the panning during the bow solo (Dazed and Confused), Tympani (Moby Dick) and Theremin (Whole Lotta Love). Just like the audience would experience. The signal on those tapes is not entirely representative, since Jimmy's Marshall stacks would obviously dominate the sound balance. Compare these subtle differences on the excellent audience tapes from Seattle and L.A 1975 with their Soundboard counterparts.

The available five 1971 SB tapes from the US and Japan do not ( yet) feature stereo separation (with the exception of the Hampton VA tape, where bass guitar and pedals were isolated on the left channel).
    For all audiophiles here on the forum who dislike these rather primitive 1/4" board recordings, never forget these Zeppelin Soundboard recordings were never intended for commercial release. Their only purpose; evaluating the setlist and improvisations from one tour to another, or serving as a souvenir (for band members and management). If they wanted recordings for a live album, Atlantic/ Superhype would rent a multi track mobile studio (Pye, Wally Heider, Ronnie Lane's or the Stones' mobile truck).

15. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Thanks for that breakdown and yes absolutely these soundboards that have leaked over the years were of course never intended for commercial release. Re boot history anyone know which was the first Zep soundboard to make it to bootleg vinyl!

Duckman likes this.
  16. Duckman

Duckman Forum Resident

Haha...trivial pursuit time. The answer is ;
    Pb (AKA Mudslide) from Vancouver, March 1970:tiphat:

17. pernod

pernod Forum Resident

Even the Hampton soundboard is originally a mono recording, the stereo separation is fake. These mono soundboard recordings suffer from phase issues which give them a slight stereo effect. Correcting the phase with proper software or using one channel only takes care of that, as far as possible given the number of improperly aligned analog copies they already went through.

Lownote30 likes this.
  18. Finchingfield

Finchingfield Forum Resident

But with the digitally extracted stereo process, these mono concerts could one day become stereo !! Groovy baby, yeah...

19. Flaming Torch

Thanks, I kind of have some memory of reading that maybe the Mudslide/Pb boot may have sent Peter Grant (further) over the edge re bootlegs!

ODShowtime likes this.
  20. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Where the hell is the rest of that tape anyway!?!

Rockin' Robby and Flaming Torch like this.
  21. misteranderson

From an FM broadcast. I don't think a pre-FM source has ever been dug up for that one.

Flaming Torch likes this.
  22. misteranderson

The optimistic view is that both Tokyo and both Osaka '71 shows were multis. I can't remember if they're 8 tracks or some strange 6 track thing, but I remember something about a solid state deck being used? Somebody help me out here.

Anyway, the problem is that Jimmy never liked the way they came out - I think he's actually said they're "the worst recordings ever" or words to that effect.

hoggydoggy likes this.
  23. Duckman

Duckman Forum Resident

In at least one interview a 'transistorized 6 track' deck is mentioned: 4 tracks, 8 Tracks, 16,....you name it, but 6 track? That must have been a typo. Obviously the band wasn't thrilled by the JAPAN 71 recordings. Being badly balanced 'just like bootleg'. Nevertheless Jimmy Page reconsidered to dust down these multi's at least two times in the new Millenium (undoubtedly since Pro Tools could have helped to solve some of the balance issues). This happened during the 2003 preparations of DVD and How the West Was Won (And its aborted counterpart 'How the EAST was Won!). When HTWWW was re issued Jimmy gave the Japan multi's a (last?) spin and decided not tho get into the burden of Royalty and Copyright issues (the medley's and impromptu references would become a nightmare. Remember Ricky Nelson's 'Hello Mary Lou', The Isley Brothers 'It's You thing' being removed from HTWWW and the Beeb sessions.

Flaming Torch likes this.
  24. Flaming Torch

Thanks. It is a shame about the whole royalties thing as it is only a few moments of those cover songs not complete or even half the song in many cases. The medleys were fun but I can see how if 40 years later if working out who and what to pay is a big headache you just go forget it.

Duckman likes this.
  25. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Say page has already had Japan 71 and maybe some other stuff mixed,do you guys think this will be another caveman production?