Led Zeppelin Japan 1971 tapes

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Not a chance, forget it.

2. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Mary Lou was on the original 2003 release of HTTW.

jay.dee and mdm08033 like this.
  3. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I would hope Page choose somebody else.Caveman posted way back this is an entertainment package something like go find a bootleg.That attitude stinks.Other bands had shows filmed,mixed,and shelved.We have to hear Page’s live albums one of these days.I would love it if only soundboards like 929 Osaka.:)

Rockin' Robby likes this.
  4. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

I could not care less tbh, I've listened to enough LZ over the last near fifty years I don't need anymore.

frightwigwam likes this.
  5. misteranderson

I made my own 928 & 29 comp - just the soundboard stuff. Somebody was nice enough to put together a 10 minute Heartbreaker using both nights. Really nice, and we're so lucky that these two are the best-sounding soundboards from '71 so far. Mono, I know, but so nicely balanced, with great drum sound. The acoustic songs sound great too, and thank God, they really jam out and are having such a good time.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the boot label has the Whole Lotta Love soundboards from both shows, and are holding them back.

Probable edits and Jimmy's antipathy toward these recordings aside, an official release mixed from the multis would blow the boots away. I assume John Davis would be mixing, unless Jimmy finds someone new. But...not holding my breath.

6. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

Then why are you following this thread?

Rockin' Robby, SRC, moople72 and 10 others like this.
  7. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Pool party with JESUS in San Dimas. Raging Waters! The Forum, Inglewood, Calif. 3/24/75 SBD.
    • Rock And Roll
    • Sick Again
    • Over The Hills And Far Away
    • In My Time Of Dying
    • The Song Remains The Same
    • Rain Song
    • Kashmir
    • No Quarter
    • Trampled Underfoot
    • Moby Dick
    • Dazed And Confused
    • Stairway To Heaven
    • Whole Lotta Love
    • Black Dog
    • Heartbreaker
    Arrived via Express Courier this morning. Yes, I know, exorbitant pricing, paying for the cardboard, blah blah . . . would not want to be without this box, the new Millard 7-inch Eddies, Deus ex Machina (2017, maybe the best bootleg release ever), Mayaku K-Satsu 9-2-9, and a several others on Tarantura that are essential, IMO.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

boggs, M2225, kaszpar and 11 others like this.
  8. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

:pineapple: Hottest Nov 16th ever in L.A. yesterday at 93. 82 right now in San Dimas (3 PM).

OE3, ODShowtime and WHMusical like this.
  9. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Blimey, that's negative, I must have been having a bad day. Nevertheless I still hold the opinion we will never see an official Japan 71 release.

10. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

I can see that Osaka 9/29 alone has been getting various upgrades from Winston, which Moonchild subsequently used for pressing their CD boots:

Arigatou Osaka - Winston remaster 2017, before the release of the new "multi-track" soundboard

[​IMG]

Kutabare Moonchild - Winston remaster 2018, using the new "multi-track" soundboard

[​IMG]
    Ookini Winston - another upgrade/merge attempt from 2019, which flows in "Black Dog" from Sep 28

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
    boggs, zphage, kevin5brown and 2 others like this.
  11. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

New SBD 1/18/75 coming this week.

Last edited: May 18, 2021
  12. Duckman

Duckman Forum Resident

A pity Wanton Song was cut off after less than a minute or so on the SB tape (tape flip?). Judging by the recently excavated aud. source (courtesy of the Dogs of Doom lads) the live rendition of Wanton is an undisputed gem...Just listen to Jonesy's amazing bass work. Another SB premiere for When the Levee breaks, thankfully complete.

13. RockDude4492

RockDude4492 Forum Resident

Is it possible that EV got a hold of a more complete tape without the cut in The Wanton Song? Obviously more details are needed but all of their ‘75 boards have been more or less complete, so it’s possible theirs is more complete than what’s surfaced already. I’m holding out hope that it will be the full show uncut but I’ll be happy to hear an SB quality rendition of When the Levee Breaks in any case.

Duckman and Cosmic_Equilibrium like this.
  14. Duckman

Duckman Forum Resident

I wouldn't hold my breath, RockDude. Long time Zep collector Sam alarmed us of this unfortunate edit months ago. If the ShowCo roadie acted swift at flipping the cassette, we would loose 10 or 15 seconds but frankly, I guess we have to live with it.

15. misteranderson

Do you know if everything's complete except Wanton Song?

I wouldn't put anything past EV. I don't know how they did it, but they cornered the LZ soundboard market long ago.

16. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

I'll have it by Monday at latest. Will report back.

17. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I’m still curious where those Osaka’71 boards came from after all this time.:)

18. RockDude4492

I remember seeing that post. Didn’t That tape seemed to end completely after Wanton Song? Whatever EV is releasing has the rest of the show. I know that audience tape surfaced recently but it was missing the end of the show as well as In My Time of Dying, which this EV release seems to have. Obviously not holding my breath here, just things I’m thinking about.

Please do! I’m excited to hear your findings!

OE3 likes this.
  19. Duckman

Duckman Forum Resident

No the teaser ended after the Wanton Song, but when another snippet of When the Levee Breaks got into circulation, we were informed that the SB tape in question was almost complete

20. RockDude4492

Ah I see. I must have missed that. Hopefully they’ll at least fill that gap with the recently uncovered audience tape. That’s slightly disappointing but if it’s mostly complete I’ll still be a happy camper to hear this

21. misteranderson

The aud. recording has already circulated with SBD of The Song Remains The Same, Rain Song, Kashmir, and the snippet of Wanton merged in. I'm sure the whole soundboard will make the rounds with the aud. portion of Wanton in place.

22. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Jesus blue box has arrived in San Dimas. No.00005. More on this later.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. RockDude4492

Awesome!! Please let us know how it sounds and how much of the Wanton Song is missing!

24. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Incomplete Wanton. Ends at 02:28.

RayS and misteranderson like this.
  25. RockDude4492

Interesting. Do they fill the gap with the audience recording? Thanks for letting us know!

OE3 likes this.