Led Zeppelin Japan 1971 tapes

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, Nov 30, 2015.

1. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

Minor quibbles aside, it was basically the truth!

The Gomper likes this.
  2. There's arguably at least a good album's worth now. Black magick.

The Gomper and telepicker97 like this.
  3. telepicker97

If you include some BBC stuff and Hey Hey What Can I Do, I guess so.

The Gomper likes this.
  4. Previously unreleased performances include:

La La
    SIBLY alt.
    Jennings Farm Blues
    Keys to the Highway
    Brandy & Coke
    10 Ribs...
    If it Keeps on Raining
    Sugar Mama
    St. Tristan's Sword
    Bring it on Home

The Gomper likes this.
  5. telepicker97

Ok, if you include outtakes (BIOH, "If It Keeps On Raining", SIBLY alt, etc), HHWCID, and a few random things.

Not a whole lot to choose from, you know? He wasn't really lying when he said "we used everything".

The Gomper and supernaut like this.
  6. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective Thread Starter

7. GP

GP Senior Member

This is from 9/28/71 show and it sounds better than the crappy mixdown we've had to deal with for decades from 9/29.

I don't know how this stuff is leaked out of nowhere. All I know is I want the rest of it. It's long overdue.

8. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

^^^ That sounds great!

BDC, keef285 and Haggis Wampovich like this.
  9. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

Daniel why did you copy and paste this post from R-O as if it you said all this? Give credit will ya?

Here is some info on the recordings (also from R-O in 2012):

This is not a audience recording. (Osaka)
    Taper himself confesed on CROSS BEAT(Japanese magazine).

He was a member of Japanese record company and official recording staff.
    4 show was recorded with double 8 track (2inch) recorder.(Tokyo,23,24,Osaka,28,29)
    But these tapes were took away by Richard Cole.
    The Taper(Japanese record company) 'secretly' separated the line and taped to 1/4inch recorder(probably 2track machine)
    on 29th only.(for use in just their memory.)
    He didn't change the tape well because of Zep clue kept watching carefully.
    He didn't spill it but someone who worked at warehouse did, he said.
    He said,
    Two machines in synch to record 16 tracks simultaneously,
    because of the Japanese Company didn't have a 16 tr machine.

This is amazing info if true. Four shows of the five recorded on two 8 track machines in sync to 2 inch tape. If you look at photos of the Japanese shows from 1971, the only one with additional microphones for recording are the Osaka shows. I would love to know the two Tokyo shows were also taped, but photographic evidence proves otherwise. That being said, I am sure we would all welcome an official release from this tour no matter which nights were taped. Too bad the band didn't play Weekend at one of these nights. They had a cool arrangement for that song in 1971-72 with Page on the doubleneck.

10. Daniel Falaschi

Never intended to infringe copyright. So my apologies to the original poster.

The Gomper and Ram4 like this.
  11. Adam Ryan Watson.

Adam Ryan Watson. Well-Known Member

I think when page said there was nothing left in the vault he was referring to studio material. Right around that very same he talked about wanting to release a chronological live album instead of coda and hoped to do that release at some point. So it's obvious he was not lying about having live material in the vault. And in terms of studio material I think he was specifically referring to completed songs that he felt were album worthy. Remember st that point on time there was no such thing companion disks of bonus material and releasing demos and rough versions or alternate versions was not even thought about . At that point people like page had no idea that There was a market for that stuff or thought people would want to hear that stuff but the CD revolution changed all that bit at that time page did not see that stuff as marketable . So page did not lie about anything in the context if that era.

The Ole' Rocker and JohnCarter17 like this.
  12. Adam Ryan Watson.

Adam Ryan Watson. Well-Known Member

It's also important to remember just to fill out coda he had to record the vocals and the guitar tracks for Walters work during work on coda and he dressed up the live version of were gonna grove with studio overdubs and passed it off as a studio recording and labeled a live song as a sound check which shows that he only viewed completed final versions of songs as releasable.

13. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

As I've posted before

There're several more Zep shows professionally taped that are still unreleased

Claude Nobs ("Funky Claude") was well-known for taping EVERYTING @ Montreux festivals.
    And indeed in 2011 a project to store digital archives of many legendary performances was planned. Whatever happened to it, I don't know (Claude Nobs died in January 2013)

Zep performed Montreux Festival in 1970, 1971 & 1972.
    Jazz Montreux Festival plans 1.2PB archive for 40 years of music ( - Storage )

The object-based online archive will keep 10,000-plus hours of recordings on disk drives from previous years' shows. They include performances by Weather Report, The Fourth Way, Nina Simone, Jan Garbarek, and Ella Fitzgerald and even Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Has it been confirmed that vocals for 'Walter's Walk' were recorded post-breakup for Coda?

15. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Use your ears. It sounds more like wreckless love Robert Plant than Dyer maker Plant.

16. That's what I usually listen with. It sounds like In Through the Out Door to me. Just because the vocal wasn't added during the era the music was recorded, it doesn't mean it was added in 81/82.

... Unless there's proof out there somewhere, which is what I asked the OP about.

The Gomper and The Hud like this.
  17. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Isn't the basic instrumental "Walter's Walk" track from '72 included on the deluxe Houses Of The Holy set? It's been pretty well established over the years that Robert Plant added the vocals to the track in 1981. Just from the sound of his voice you can tell it sure as hell wasn't recorded with the rest of the track in 1972. The sound of Plant's vocal on "Walter's Walk" -tone and the effects used- are just about identical to his sound on Pictures At Eleven.

18. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

Not trying to crank up the speculation train here, but there is another very SHORT snippet of the high-quality Osaka concert recording that has been unveiled, here --> TwitSound | 音楽つぶやきサービス

Some of the conversation and discussion earlier in this thread, brings up an interesting prospect that never quite occurred to me before.

A few posts above, it is mentioned by the semi-anonymous Japanese source quoted from the Japanese magazine and the Royal Orleans site, who was involved with the technical side of the 1971 concerts, that they ran two 8-track machines in sync, to create 16 track recordings.

Well, "WHAT IF" they recorded everything to multi-track, but there was some issue with the syncing, with the playback of the two machines, and they were unable later to go back and play back all the tracks together, simultaneously, at the same time?

Most likely one track of each machine was "striped" with SMTPE for a sync, but this was not by any means a common or routine occurence in the recording world in 1971 -- it was pretty sophisticated/advanced, and kinda difficult to do, and we all remember the problems the Beatles had with this same technique trying to use two machines a few years earlier during the Pepper era. It would be even harder to try and rig it up today, in the analog recording realm, it's not a common technology these days at all, to find two working compatible vintage machines that could handle it, hooking them together, etc.

Not analog, but I've actually experienced a very similar thing myself with old 8-track ADAT tapes that were transferred to a computer but not properly synced, missing the sync codes. The groups of 8 tracks from each machine were not lined up, they played slightly out of sync and it was quite maddening and completely unusable. Until I hired a much smarter guy to go back and re-do the transfer again for me, LOL.

THAT theory, which is totally a theory, but if true, a sync issue would explain 1) why the tapes were originally dismissed outright and deemed unusable by the band in the '70s; 2) why these tapes were clearly mentioned in rumors around the time of DVD and How The West Was Won, but then nothing ever came of it (technology to properly sync them up was not quite there); 3) it might explain why they've never leaked, whereas some portion of virtually everything else professionally multi-tracked live by the band has leaked, in some form or other, whether it's Southhampton or portions of Long Beach or the other night of Knebworth, portions of Earl's Court, or the early rough mixes of Royal Albert Hall, etc.

And 4) it might even explain why there have been a few rumors recently going around that these tapes might actually show up as part of the 50th anniversary (that's just pure speculation, AS OF RIGHT NOW) or rumors that they might surface as a bootleg later this summer (there's been a lot of chatter about that possibility, in Zeppelin internet forums and so forth, and it seems that someone in Japan is definitely "teasing" that a better quality version of these tapes is out there and coming soon).

IF the theory about the sync issue is true, that is something that could definitely be fixed in Pro Tools, with a computer. It'd be difficult, but totally possible to line them up again. That's what Giles did with going back to the Sgt. Pepper original multitracks, instead of using the "bounced down" versions. So it clearly can be done.
    Also, keep in mind. If you were Jimmy Page or another member of Zeppelin, and somebody asked you in an interview about whatever happened with the Japan '71 tapes, you certainly wouldn't go into this long and tedious technical explanation about sync issues and playback. You'd just say that they were unusuable, or you'd brush the question off somehow with an excuse, without getting into the long and tedious explanation.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  19. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Interesting theory. You'e right .... no way would Jimmy try.to.explain all that in an interview.

20. Daniel Falaschi

Sorry to spoil it, but page said very recently there were no plans to release the japan 71 tapes.

21. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

You posted this in another thread as well. Do you have a link to the interview?

22. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

Yeah, I have not seen this. And no one is talking about it on Royal Orleans, where people with way more time than me watch Page's every move and hang on his every word in interviews. Have a link? Do you maybe know where it was that he said it?

23. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Absolutely amazing, possibly the best live BD I've ever heard..
    71 multitrack release would be a true holy grail..

Jerquee likes this.
  24. Jerquee

Jerquee Take this, brother, may it serve you well.

I'll be satisfied to hear the entire 929 show in the quality of the recent tricklings. It'll come out eventually in the bootleg-sphere.

25. Daniel Falaschi

I asked the same question in the officual LZ forum and someone posted the link. It is somewhere there, but I guarantee you it was cristal clear Page meant that.