Led Zeppelin Japan 1971 tapes

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, Nov 30, 2015.

1. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

In the end a few hundred buy and thousands download..... but I know what you mean....

Yankeefan01 and WhoTapes1 like this.
  2. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

If the CD had more distribution, I bet it would sell a bunch. I have a connection, but I reckon they'll charge an arm and a leg for it, especially if it sounds as good as the clips.

3. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

The first edition will surely cater to überfans who are ready to spend $$$ on a premium package, but it'll be soon followed by cheaper edition(s) for less affluent/passionate masses.

I'll definitely fetch a reasonably priced copy as soon as it gets released, because the current version I have on CD, a so-called Winston remaster ("Arigatou Osaka" on the budget label Moonchild) is not easy on my bootleg ears.

4. Duckman

Duckman Forum Resident

And there we go! the three initial boxed set variations are announced for release next week
    After three single track appetizers, 2CD's culled from the band's reel to reel Revox will be available. Very strange is the omission of Stairway and Friends...two of the appetizers from April/May. Not included as well is the monster Whole Lotta Love medley. A bit of a letdown if you ask me...
    [​IMG]

Hep Alien likes this.
  5. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

$300 for nine songs?????

mestreech likes this.
  6. scocs

scocs Forum Resident

...and no Black Dog. If this is actually true — and there’s no reason to think it’s not since it’s a 2-cd see and NOT a 3-cd set — I would consider this the most egregious rip-off in recorded music history, official or otherwise.

I don’t know about you, but I like to buy my pants with two legs at once —- not buy one leg now and then the other leg next year for extra money.

If this is true, Empress Valley can shove “How the East was Won” where the sun don’t shine...

Hep Alien, ricks, hvbias and 3 others like this.
  7. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

I'm sure some enterprising soul will put the appetizers back in place for a complete set. Maybe Whole Lotta Love wasn't available to them? Seems strange for sure. Dime is your friend.

8. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

It looks like EVSD is trying to make all they can from a release since they know any release will be out there available to all within hours of the release. No reason this one will be any different.

Remember this is the same label that was POed when their last big release was liberated before it even had a chance to sell out. I consider this a payback for that.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  9. scocs

scocs Forum Resident

True, but that’s why companies (official and otherwise) have put their capital into deluxe packaging to at least entice purists like me to plunk down coin for it as opposed to getting it for free

10. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

And one of them is Moby Dick! :D

Bubba Zanetti likes this.
  11. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

:laugh:

12. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

...and 'Smoke Gets in Your Eyes' is only 26 seconds long.

marmalade166 likes this.
  13. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I bet all the songs are included and this is a misprint

14. scocs

scocs Forum Resident

Nope. Just had it confirmed by my Japanese connection that this release is missing all those songs. It’s like ordering a BLT and getting a sandwich without the bacon. Why should I love it?!?

kevin5brown, J_D__ and ricks like this.
  15. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

I'm guessing you haven't had much experience with the Japanese Led Zeppelin Bootleg Industrial Complex. ;)

BDC, lennonology and ohnothimagen like this.
  16. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

This is absolutely ridiculous

For ages the same guys that run Empress Valley and other bootleg labels have been begging for official releases, and now that they have the full soundboard, they do not want it to be available to the fans. This is just greed and egoism

:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow

17. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Now I really wish Page puts out a complete multitrack(or even soundboard) just so it blows away this EV cd set in content and mastering.

18. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I'm sure it will be available for free download soon. Just add Black Dog yourself since it's already available.

rockclassics likes this.
  19. scocs

scocs Forum Resident

Black Dog and the other couple of songs

20. Duckman

Duckman Forum Resident

That's why I think Empress will use the next months to make sure their return on investment is secured by releasing as much as possible in every imaginable variation. Singles (like Immigrant, Friends, Stairway,...), multiple sets 2CD's, 5 CD's....
    From the Zeppelin camp rumors of a possible future release of 'How the East Was Won' aren't confirmed or denied. With a declining silver market Empress Valley IS nervous.
    An hypothetical official release however will be edited heavily, though. No chatter 'Where is Mr.Bonham?', tunings, 'Rudolph The Redness Reindeer', 'Friends', 'Smoke Gets in Your Eyes' and the medley with 'Twist and Shout' or 'Fortune Teller'... A pity, because In the end this is what 929 is all about. It's kind of a concert movie without visuals.:D

steveharris likes this.
  21. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Apparently BD is from the 28th. Not the same night but you could still slip it in until they release the one from the 29th :)

22. stillrockin

stillrockin Forum Resident

You would have thought Jimmy would have found a plug for these leaks - there have been enough of them over the years lol

23. Frawls

Frawls Forum Resident

New SBD source for the 9/29 show has surfaced. Incomplete and in mono but beats the pants off the source we've all heard for years.

24. It has its moments but the older source (stage mics or whatever it was) is good. More atmosphere and its stereo.

25. Frawls

Frawls Forum Resident

Whether you’re a fan of the sound on this one will probably come down your preference for SBDs vs AUDs. For an almost 50 year old SBD, it’s hard to beat. Despite being in mono, the mix and clarity is quite good. On the other sources I’ve heard for this show, the vocals are buried, JPJ’s bass is too prominent and there is a fair amount of hiss and distortion. Most of these issues aren’t present on this release although there is still some overloading in certain parts (‘Friends’ is the most obvious example). There’s also a bit more detail in the high end and you’re able to hear Bonzo’s ride cymbal glisten a bit more. There’s no reverb and the audience can barely be heard but I’m more interested in the detail of the instruments and vocals than the atmosphere of the venue. Of course, that’s a deal breaker for a lot of folks but there shouldn’t be too many complaints about the music. Dry, but the mixed well and the ferocity of the performance shines through. It is cut up for sure with abrupt fades after most of the songs. Total running time is about 92 minutes. Would have loved to hear the other songs in this quality but what are you going to do? The absence of Robert’s banter and ½ of Moby Dick not a big deal for this fan.

keef285 and marmalade166 like this.