Led Zeppelin Physical Graffiti - 1st U.S. double Lp Pressing?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott333, Mar 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Matrix info and vinyl condition are what is of import.
    IMO, pressing plant matters little. They all use plates from the same mother.
    And after 40-50 years of existence, what the LP has been exposed to matters much more than where it was pressed.

2. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

does this mean you really like a japanese Presence pressing? thx

latheofheaven likes this.
  3. Slick Willie

I do.
    Odds for better vinyl quality is better. But as with all, depends on how it was treated.

4. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

thanks. not to hijack but presence is one of my preferred LZ and hard to find a clean one with good sonics-the recent reissue has become my go-to but looking for better

5. Slick Willie

For sonics, the US or JPN will work.
    Just look for the Atlantic Studios etching in the dead wax.

hi_watt, latheofheaven and cwd like this.
  6. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

Depending on your available funds, LZ VII, also one of my very favourites, is one of 3 of the Classic Records pressings that I have (I, V, & VII) In my lowly and wretched opinion on my system the Classic pressing of VII (Quiex 200 gram) sounds VERY good! These 3 I really like the sound of, sadly for some odd reason IV sounded really bad (that's what stopped my enthusiasm for the Classic Zeppelin pressings dead in the water) But VII sounds very good. I have it in my 'Shootout' section to do a critical comparison to the US 'original' when I have a chance, but FWIW on its own it sounds great!

Just to toss this in here, I also REALLY like, I believe it is the 2nd or 3rd Japanese pressing of II. The dynamics are truly off the scale, although I don't have the coveted 'Loud' RL pressing to compare. But, for what I have, it is most definitely my 'Go To' for II! (thus the reason why I was asking about the Japanese pressing of VI here) I know @Slick Willie disagrees, but it sound amazing on my system, but I honestly don't know about any of the others and I'm happy with the 'originals' & the Classics & this one Japanese that I have.

cwd likes this.
  7. Slick Willie

By VII, I assume you mean Presence?
    When you do your comparison, pay attention to the extended fade in on opening track. One of the giveaways that Classic used the tapes that Page did some light remixing on.

And I can understand your love of the JPN of II...if you've never heard a top tier US or a UK cut. The US had many weak cuts.

8. Dave Haladay

Dave Haladay Forum Resident

I got the Physical Graffiti for $65 that was graded NM. I would have graded it more like combination of Ex/Ex-/VG+ over the four sides, but the vinyl itself is really clean with some ticks and a few quieter pops here and there. Very happy to see that it has George Piros @t GP on all four sides in the deadwax.

Side 1 ST SS 753309-G @t GP 015m1-1
    Side 2 ST SS 753310-G @t GP
    Side 3 ST SS 753311- G @t GP SP 0-1 sm 1-2
    Side 4 ST SS 753312-G @t GP SP o-1 sm 1-3

dee, latheofheaven and Slick Willie like this.
  9. Slick Willie

Hope you enjoy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.