Led Zeppelin reissues - what went wrong?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Guy Gadbois, Nov 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

What is there to clean up? Its a very lo-fi recording. What is it that can be remixed? And there isnt any mastering that will fix that kind of sound.

Now, if there exists a completely different soundboard recording..well yeah, maybe.

PacificOceanBlue and tmtomh like this.
  2. tremspeed

tremspeed Well-Known Member

I would say the Mono Axis repress is fantastic.

bigal00769 and Classicolin like this.
  3. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

I'm with you fellas....

[​IMG]

Acoustic Warrior likes this.
  4. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident

If you think the reissue III is good, you have to hear a UK A5/B5 Plum. Yes, the new reissue is much clearer and more detailed than the original muddy, veiled US pressings but the UK Plum completely blows it out of the water.

BDC, Pancat, audiotom and 1 other person like this.
  5. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident

I would have to agree I do tend to like the new remasters of Presence and ITTOD. They seem a lot clearer and more detailed compared to the original UK pressings. I like the original Vinyl and the new reissues though. If I want a full on, meaty sound that kicks i'll listen to an original pressing. If im in the mood to hear a more detailed, cleaner presentation i'll listen to the new remasters.

tmtomh likes this.
  6. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident

There is a UK A1/B1 Porky of HOTH which sounds clearer and more lively than the warm, slightly woolly RL masterings. It is relatively rare as it was only around for a very short time of the initial UK 1st pressings.

tmtomh and marcfeld69 like this.
  7. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I'll check mine out but I do think of it as woolly sounding.

Neilson77 likes this.
  8. Guy Gadbois

Guy Gadbois Chief Inspector Thread Starter

The Sony reissues by the Experience Hendrix group are superb. just as good or better than the US originals

DPM likes this.
  9. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I have 3 and 4 on 7.5 ips reel and they totally smoke any vinyl or cd pressings I've heard.
    Where these issues really drop the ball is in the lack of a surround mix. MHO of course:)

Waylon9 and markbrow like this.
  10. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

Exactly how I feel. I may eventually try to grab some originals of individual favorite albums here and there, but the Floyd, Beatles, rush, sabbath, prince and VH reissues sound great to me. Been debating checking out the zeppelin reissues. Only think I have is the 4 cd crop circles box and the BBC sessions

11. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

With all of the rock star deaths in the past few years, I would have hoped for 2 remaster series by Zepp: The 24/192Page remasters and also a new, AAA transfer of the catalogue. With Led Zeppelin, cost isn't really a factor (The Beatles spent some cash on their 2014 AAA mono vinyls...cough up the bucks, Zepp!), but maybe SQ isn't as important to them now?
    Who knows...my LZIII remaster sounds pretty darn good, haven't bothered with getting anymore until I'm exhausted looking for NM originals...and that's not happening very quickly...

marcfeld69 likes this.
  12. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident

I've heard a rip of the IV 7.5 ips reel and it does sound phenomenal. I agree it beats anything else.

lennonfan1 likes this.
  13. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident

This is a rip i did of my Plum IV. Compare it to the 2014 remaster and yes, the remaster offers more detail and clarity but just listen to the impact of the sound on the Plum, it's awesome!

Paully, Sean, Texastoyz and 1 other person like this.
  14. moofassa_ca

moofassa_ca Senior Member

I have Red label Canadian, and in no way does the reissue sound better. Different strokes for different folks.

Sean likes this.
  15. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

Interesting, my red label copy sounded dull and muffled in comparison. Did a shootout with my buddy on his mid-range system and we both felt the same.

16. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

As far as I'm concerned, the goal of any new reissue campaign is to produce LP's that sound good and are cleaner, less noisy, and less expensive than a VG+ or NM vintage LP would be. Match or exceed the original is usually not possible, and even if it were possible, there will not be a consensus. There's always reason to believe that an original is better.

17. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

You're speaking reasonably. Remember which forum this is. ;)

harmonica98, dbsea, tmtomh and 4 others like this.
  18. Aghast of Ithaca

Aghast of Ithaca Forum Resident

I wonder if that will ever be topped. Or lowered, or whatever the correct verb is.

Bigbudukks likes this.
  19. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

There's always the off chance that it'll catch on, like an infection. :laugh:

20. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

I'm reporting you for being a carrier.

Ben Adams and dkmonroe like this.
  21. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I grew up listening to US LZ vinyl. Does the Davis reissue of LZ II sound better than my RL? Hell no it doesn't, but many of the Davis cuts sound just as good or better than my US originals. And before you start pointing me to UK originals, I don't have the patience or the wallet to start trekking all over the world for clean ones. My US and Davis suit me just fine.

Ben Adams and mikedifr0923 like this.
  22. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

What went wrong in my opinion is that they didn't cut an all analog vinyl pressing of each title. Ryan Smith would have done a stellar job cutting Zep in AAA. They should have included a SACD or a DVD not just a download code, in the package.
    I like the package but not the quality of sonics included.

Paully, The Hermit and Vinyl Socks like this.
  23. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Oh, BAYBEE.
    Now you got me foamin at the mouth!!!
    the beave

24. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Yes, that is where they would store the metal masters. and since Ludwig cut this for Atlantic records, they WOULD take possession of the metal parts for storage.
    the beav e

25. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

I just bought a clean vintage pressing of IV and it sounds like crap. My Page-mastered CD destroys it. I'd like somebody to tell me what went wrong there too.

iloveguitars and marcfeld69 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.