Led Zeppelin to Face Retrial Over ‘Stairway’

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by segue, Sep 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FireOnHigh

FireOnHigh Forum Resident

Wake me up when this trial ends

gorangers and dkmonroe like this.
  2. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Dammit, how can I work a Wham! joke into a response to this? That's gonna bug me all day. :laugh:

3. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

In terms of copyright law, a "feel" or "groove" isn't something you can copyright. Neither is a style. Those are the things that Blurred Lines has in common with the Marvin Gaye song. So Blurred Lines ripped off things that can't be copyrighted, but was still ruled to be infringement. That sets a dangerous precedent. Any Musicologist would agree.

4. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

In the U.S.? Probably pretty dumb.

MoonPool likes this.
  5. Very long and in depth article on the lawyer Francis Malofiy, who is suing Zep
    Apparently a Big fan of Zep, put a bid on the Helios recording console 'Stairway' was apparently recorded on, and saved the lemon Robert Plant was served with his water when he initially deposed him, plans to serve it to him when he deposes Plant again:

Welcome | Philadelphia Magazine

6. ljohnfoxx123

ljohnfoxx123 Lord Foxx Of Chorley

Page and Plant were plagiarists, no doubt about it, hope it goes against them, thieving bar stewards.

7. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

No, everyone doesn't conclude that.

“I don’t think it’s a steal from Marvin Gaye,” Stevie Wonder told TMZ. “I’ve been through lawsuits for songs and all that. I think that the groove is very similar but you have to remember he is a big fan of Marvin Gaye’s so that’s okay. But the song is not like Marvin Gaye’s. It is not the same”.

John Rhett Thomas likes this.
  8. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

They lifted a few things on Zep I and II without giving proper credit but we have to go with facts, and a case by case model in order to give proper due justice. Simply going "I hope it goes against them, lying bastards" is hardly speaking logical musical facts in this specific case lol - in this case Exhibit A is a similar generic A minor arpeggio with a descending bass pattern that goes somewhere completely different as well as an addition of a top line melody

dkmonroe likes this.
  9. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

And Randy California never sued them..............Hmmmmmmmmmmm?

This is a money grab plain and simple. The Plaintiff will lose Round Two just like they did the first round.

LarryP, ODShowtime, LC4O and 3 others like this.
  10. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

I guess they should sue Giovanni Battista Granata as well?

luckyno13 likes this.
  11. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Would collecting revenues from a song you didn't write but falsely claimed to have be considered a "money grab?" Please educate this lawyer for over 40 years.
    Thank you.

mbleicher1 and Fullbug like this.
  12. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

....and the jury awards the plaintiffs, one (1) bustle for their hedgerow.

Blue Note and dee like this.
  13. HiResGeek

HiResGeek Seer of visions

I mean, the first few bars are definitely lifted from the Spirit song, but from what I've read, Page and California had a verbal agreement that Zep could use it, and California didn't seem bitter about it at all. Unfortunately the now-deceased California's scumbag lawyers don't agree. I don't think that should constitute plagiarism. To say nothing of the fact that the rest of the song goes in a completely different direction.

Doggiedogma and LC4O like this.
  14. todd141

todd141 Forum Resident

I don't care if they ripped everyone off. The world's much better (at least my world is better) with Led Zeppelin in it......plagiarists or not.

15. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Was there evidence of this agreement between Page and California introduced at the first trial? Perhaps Pagey inked it with The Dark One.
    Agreed. Nothing better than a good cover band.

savemenow likes this.
  16. dkmonroe

Yeah, it's all pretty simple to hang Page if you ignore all the evidence regarding the song in question.

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  17. dkmonroe

Nah, his pockets are empty.

18. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

There's no evidence that Page and California had a verbal agreement. California's estate did initially try to claim that California and Page talked to each other on one occasion, though -- they tried to claim that Page asked California to give him a guitar lesson! But that claim was mysteriously dropped when it came time to present their case before the judge. :laugh:

ODShowtime and MPLRecords like this.
  19. dkmonroe

The jury in the last trial heard the evidence.

You have a stubborn unwillingness to consider the actual tiny section of music that is actually relevant to this case. And not all lawyers are scumbags.

20. swandown

21. Bill

Bill Senior Member

22. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

23. Led Zeplin?

24. myles

myles Argyle, before you ask ....

Stolen from Green Day - string that man up!

FireOnHigh likes this.
  25. swandown

That article includes "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" (which the original writer did not consider to be a "rip off"), plus a traditional song ("The Waggoner's Lad", which the band was fully entitled to appropriate). Plus, three of the other songs were settled right away ("The Lemon Song", "Bring It On Home" & "Boogie With Stu"), so the original copyright holders can't really claim to have been "ripped off". So, if this list establishes a pattern at all, it's that deserving copyright holders get compensated in a prompt manner, while undeserving artists (e.g., Bert Jansch) are not.

Oliver and dkmonroe like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.