Led Zeppelin to Face Retrial Over ‘Stairway’

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by segue, Sep 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BillyMacQ

BillyMacQ Forum Resident

Well, Scott, there you go again. Citing facts to morons and expecting them to come around
    What I "love" the most is 99.9 percent of these Clueless Ernies have never heard the original song anyway.

2. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

money grab - an undignified or unprincipled acquisition of a large sum of money with little effort.

3. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

What song are you talking about?

4. misteranderson

Re: the bolded bit - no, they're not definitely lifted from Taurus, or anything else. Where'd you get that idea?

5. Freezerburn

Freezerburn Spendin' Monopoly Money

That's hilarious. How everything still turns to gold, for the estate of Randy California. I'd actually like to see them win, just because of the underdog factor. It still amazes me that a truly creative guy like Page, still needed to lift riffs from other songs.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  6. HiResGeek

HiResGeek Seer of visions

Oh I don’t know, maybe the ongoing trial about it, or YouTube? Jeez man, I like Zep as much as anyone but it’s pretty clear Page “borrowed” that bit. That doesn’t diminish Stairway at all, obviously that little section accounts for a just a tiny percentage of the song as a whole (which obviously goes in a totally different direction than Taurus.)

Doggiedogma and MPLRecords like this.
  7. misteranderson

Prove it. That's basically the premise of the whole case.

Just how is it "pretty clear" that Jimmy borrowed it? Based on what? That he, a professional studio musician, had never played a descending arpeggio in A minor before he heard Taurus? C'mon.

starduster and Norco74 like this.
  8. Bill

Bill Senior Member

All you fan boys should pull out your dogeared copies of Hammer of the Gods, make a nice cup of hot chocolate and put on Moby Dick, while we let the trial run its course. We will soon know how the jury decides. Better still, pull out your records by the Firm and chill. Zeplin! Rock and roll!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    Doggiedogma likes this.
  9. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

If California's estate wins, I would like to see the estate of Davy Graham sue them and win. You know, since Graham's estate is more of an underdog than California's estate.

MoonPool likes this.
  10. Why do you put the word borrowed in quotes? Is it because you don't truy believe Jimmy borrowed from 'Taurus' because there were so many other songs that came before 'Taurus' that used the same traditional pattern?

Norco74 likes this.
  11. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Yes, there are several songs that use that arpeggio with a descending bass line, and here is just one from 1959.

swandown likes this.
  12. You were a communications lawyer!!!?

Bill likes this.
  13. misteranderson

And now I'm absolutely sure the collie in your avatar is actually posting on your behalf. Bye.

14. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

You’re right...prove it.

But, you know, Spirit did open for Jimmy. He heard that riff every night before he went on stage.

Just sayin’...

savemenow and Doggiedogma like this.
  15. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

:o

16. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Really, Jimmy and the boys were in the audience or side stage hearing Spirit performance night after night?

17. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Ok...had the opportunity to hear it every night.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  18. HiResGeek

HiResGeek Seer of visions

It sounds the same? It’s not my job to “prove” it. It’s in the courts now so we’ll see what they decide. But I suspect even if California’s lawyers win, you will find a way to defend almighty Zep.

Look, it’s possible to like Zeppelin AND admit they borrowed something. It certainly wouldn’t be the first time. That particular progression, played in the same style, by a band that previously toured with the other band seems pretty suspicious to me.

19. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Do we know that "Taurus" was a regular part of Spirit's set list at that point? It's a little low key for a rock concert. . .

20. ljohnfoxx123

ljohnfoxx123 Lord Foxx Of Chorley

:laughup:

21. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Page owned the Spirit album. Zep played Fresh Garbage from it in its early sets.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  22. misteranderson

Except it's not played in the same style. I could play it for my wife and she'd be able to tell the difference. And I'm sure she knows Spirit from Green Eyed Lady and a couple other songs. Spirit was a very good band, after all.

Just because they shared a bill several times, Jimmy stole a riff from - let's admit it - a fairly inconsequential Spirit tune, and turned it into a top five all-time rock 'n' roll anthem. 'Cos, y'know, Jimmy Page is gonna Jimmy Page.

23. misteranderson

Actually more likely that Plant hipped Page to it, Plant being the big West Coast/psych freak. Not that facts matter in this discussion.

24. Prove that Jimmy listened to the 'Taurus'.

25. 'Every night'? How many? How do you know he heard it each night?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.