Led Zeppelin turquoise trade offer - advice needed

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ola Rundberget, Jul 27, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ola Rundberget

Ola Rundberget Forum Resident Thread Starter

So, lord and behold i found a Led Zeppelin I turquoise. Its authentic and in a good nick. VG cover due to some minor moisture damage. But its fine, no rips or other major damage. The record is EX. The seller wants 1500 USD, but as i have no such at the hand, i offered him a trade. I have an exellent copy of Junipher Greene's Communication, and a Kinks Arthur with a different dutch cover.

The latter two are on Discogs at the moment worht about 700-800 usd total. I told this to the seller, and he was going to think about it for a few days.

I mean, if he's ok with it then why not?
    I also asked if he could send me the record first, so that i may inspect and listen to it before deciding.
    If all is ok i will then send the trade-ins in return.

Any thoughts?

2. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

-You're offering what you think is a good trade. But if he's not interested in the records you want to give him, he won't accept the deal. It's up to him. Especially since he's going to have someone ready to pay the money for the Turquoise Zep anyway.

-Usually with Discogs (or any other site), the "buyer" sends money first and then the "seller" send the record that was for sale.
    I don't think he will accept the idea to send you the Zep first, and then you send him the payment. There's too much at risk for him.

Good luck with that, anyway.

Dubmart, AnalogJ and deredordica like this.
  3. manxman

manxman Forum Resident

The sellers want 1500 USD in cash for the item – which doesn't seem too far off the current selling price – and you've offered him about half that as a trade, and expect him to send the album before you send the trades?

I can't see him going for it, but I could be proved wrong.

Zongadude, Dubmart, AaronW and 2 others like this.
  4. Ola Rundberget

It was merely a suggestion, and im going to have a chat with him on sunday. :)

About the trade itself, he did sound ok with the idea. But ive yet to wait :)
    He could have called it off right away, and he also removed the record off his website. Its a local record shop, so no discogs :)

5. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Personally, I would never send you a 1500 US record and trust that you’ll send me remittance later, if you find you like it.

6. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

Yup. What he said.

Neonbeam likes this.
  7. Jacob29

Jacob29 Forum Resident

No records with the amount you can't pay for upfront.

8. gpalz

gpalz Forum Resident

If its a local record shop, they may have a turntable there. See if you can listen to it at the store.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    rcsrich likes this.
  9. owsley

owsley Senior Member

Just my $.02 but since you initiated the connection with the seller and he has what you want, you should be the one to send him your records for trade first. If the seller is on discogs or ebay and has a good reputation with lots of transactions and no negative feedback, you should be able to have a smooth transaction. I would be quite surprised if he sent you the vinyl first unless you have excellent feedback yourself. I have done this type of transaction myself but have always insisted the the seller send me a sound sample (even a recording on a smartphone will suffice) first before I sent payment. Good luck

10. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

So... if you get it, you are going to play this record, right?

11. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Isn't the value for this one all in the
    Cover ? Or is the record and label different as well ?
    I like the blue I think Zep should have kept it that way.

rcsrich likes this.
  12. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

It’s all in the sellers court- if he’s fine with sending before payment and you’re both fine with the terms of the trade, sounds like you got a deal. I can’t rationalize paying that amount for a record, but that’s me. Personally, I’d either need a preview like you’re doing or one ironclad return policy. Y’all collectors be crazy! :)

13. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Going back a long time I remember seeing the turquoise in my fave second hand record shop in not very good condition (1973) the price reflected that, it was £1. I looked at the turquoise title and thought yep, they made the right decision to change it to orange.

14. Ola Rundberget

No dice :( He suddenly changed his mind, claiming that he had one of the records in his store. Did a check and no record there.. oh well

15. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

He was never going to send you that record with nothing in return.

Neonbeam likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.