Led Zeppelin w/ Turquoise Cover AND Corrected Matrix Numbers?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Spookypins, Apr 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spookypins

Spookypins Active Member Thread Starter

I recently acquired a copy of Led Zeppelin's first album, U.K. press, with the iconic turquoise lettering at the top. It sounds amazing, but the issue is that the matrix numbers on both sides have a stamped number scratched out and an 8 manually added in the dead wax. These are the matrix numbers.

• Matrix / Runout (A side stamped runout, except third 8 from left is a scratched out number hand etched above the second 8 from left that has been struck through): 58 ̶̶8̶̶ ̶̶8171 A//1 1 2 2
    • Matrix / Runout (B side stamped runout, except second 8 from left is a scratched out number hand etched above the third 8 from left that has been struck through): 2 C 588 ̶̶8̶̶ ̶̶171 B//1 1
    Discogs indicates this record is indeed a first pressing but a later variation, and, again, according to Discogs, should have a sleeve with orange lettering. Which makes me wonder if someone down the line had a trashed first press with uncorrected matrix numbers and swapped in a later variation so he/she could still get top dollar. Is there a chance this is just the way the album came? I'm fine with having a later 1st press variation. I'm not fine having a mismatched album. Any thoughts?

2. ONIONCHIPS

ONIONCHIPS New Member

Interesting find.. I’ve read that this record sometimes is sold as a scam, as in a later press in the turquoise sleeve. I can’t find any info on whether or not the turquoise sleeve was ever released with the scratched matrix number variant. Maybe someone on here can verify if that is a legit release?

3. MeatWithGravy

MeatWithGravy Active Member

Sorry to say, I’m thinking it’s the result of a scam.

4. marcb

marcb Senior Member

1) Sleeves and LPs can get swapped 2) Discogs is only as good as the info provided - it is a useful resource, but it has more than it’s fair share of typos, assumptions, misinformation and wishful thinking.

5. Spookypins

You're right, marcb, but I don't know what other tools to use here in determining whether or not this is a legit variation.

6. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It could have been sold like that on release. I can't see that the matrix will have been corrected and the cover changed to orange at exactly the same time. Also, record shops tended to not keep the records in the covers on the shelves, so they could have been placed together then.

ODShowtime, vonwegen and marcb like this.
  7. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I believe that this one you have also came with a turquoise cover at least initially. I had one with an unscratched matrix and I remember reading up on this when I found it. The one I found was withdrawn within a week of release if I recall so it stands to reason that initially the one you have had the turquoise cover too.

8. marcb

marcb Senior Member

It was 50 years ago - and vinyl record production was not as linear & orderly as collectors want to believe. And any documentation which could actually verify it one way or the other, if they ever existed, are almost certainly long gone.

It seems plausible to me for this combo to have existed in the wild. That's likely about the best you're going to do.

bootbox, vonwegen and Man at C&A like this.
  9. Spookypins

Thanks, everybody. If anyone else has this combination, please chime in!

10. progmog

progmog Senior Member

I have had three first pressings with turquoise lettering pass through my hands, and none of them had scratched matrix numbers. Of course, that doesn't rule out the possibility that this could have been issued with scratched matrix numbers; however, reportedly, only one small shipment of the turquoise sleeves left the plant (less than 2,000 copies). This was then replaced within weeks with the familiar orange lettering.

The chances of two different pressings (one with scratched matrix numbers, and one without) being issued in an initial batch of less than 2,000 seems quite unlikely to me....

11. progmog

progmog Senior Member

I forgot to add: if anything, I would expect to see first-pressed records in later covers, i.e. orange lettering covers housing records without scratched matrix numbers; but not the other way round.

marcb likes this.
  12. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Curious, do the credits on your label match the uncrossed out matrix variation i.e. no Warner publishing credit?

I have seen copies with the turquoise cover and crossed out matrix on ebay before. Could be another swap or could be legit. I couldn't really say, but I have seen it before; more than once.

The real value in this record is that cover. Unless you grossly overpaid, you should be able to recoup your cost here, if you do want to sell it.

marcb, Giorgio and Mbe like this.
  13. Spookypins

Yes, the credits are Superhype Music and Jewel Music. The copy I have is still a first press (according to Discogs), just a later variation. I have also seen several copies with the turquoise cover and crossed out matrix on a few auction sites. I decided to keep the record, based partially on the comments in this thread and partially on the fact I just really didn't want to give it up since it sounds and looks amazing.

eddiel likes this.
  14. marcb

marcb Senior Member

2,000 turquoise sleeves? Is this documented fact or just something somebody conveniently surmised years ago and through the magic of the telephone game and the interweb turned into "fact"? There sure seem to be a whole bunch of these out there for only 2,000 printed...

Man at C&A likes this.
  15. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Good point.

16. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

Why? Some of those initial 2000 would have been returned for defects, and I would imagine the jackets salvaged and used again with a later batch of discs. It doesn’t seem implausible that there could be a few copies out there that seem like a mismatch.

Man at C&A likes this.
  17. marcb

marcb Senior Member

He didn't say it couldn't happen. He said the other way around makes more sense. And it does.

I don't doubt there could be mismatches - for a variety of reasons - with your scenario being but one of them.

But honestly if 2,000 covers is true (and I'm skeptical of the veracity of the figure), what was the return rate? Maybe 1%? I know I worked in a record store for a period of time in the 80s and I'd say the return rate was more like 1 in 500. So that would be a handful of covers - and most returns didn't come back looking like they were new (so imagine what un-shrink wrapped UK covers looked like).

18. progmog

progmog Senior Member

Information from the interweb - I am not able to confirm that as a fact, which is why I used the word "reportedly" in my post. :)

If you read this thread on the Led Zeppelin Official Forum, there is a claim that only 500 to 1,000 were sold (as opposed to pressed). One of the posters also states that the pressing with the scratched out matrix number was only issued with the orange lettering cover. Of course, none of this has been substantiated as fact:

Led Zeppelin Turquoise Lettering 1st Album

marcb likes this.
  19. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Apologies, I missed “reportedly”...

20. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I don't believe it could be as low as 500. They might have corrected the cover after two weeks but two weeks is a lot of time. Did they only press 500-1000 of those in the UK in two weeks? I doubt it. I doubt they recalled any that were out there already either. Of course many may have been disappeared. These pop up on eBay often as well.

Still, I kick myself for grabbing one of these for £100 at a record show in London a decade ago. It was on display behind the table and when I asked about it the guy said "It's £100 because the vinyl is in such poor condition" Stupid me passed because, you know, I was stupid enough to care about the condition of the lp I wanted to play. Learnt my lesson that day. :laugh:

21. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

About cover, many arguments, some very logical, but there are also those who claim to have bought his copy in a London store, on the day of the album release, and this had the orange lettering .... if it is true, it means that turquoise is not the "true-and-unique" UK first press, but a copy (printed perhaps by mistake) that at most is contemporary with orange one ... speculations for speculation...

marcb likes this.
  22. JCBROOKLYN

JCBROOKLYN Well-Known Member

I have 4 copy uk pressing of Zeppelin 1
    1 turquoise whit out scratch #8
    3 orange
    1 of the orange is the same way whit out # 8 scratch
    Has superhype music & jewel music.
    So is first pressing with second cover orange

The superhype music & jewel music is the first press
    Whit out #scratch.

I tend to Believe The press more records first pressing them covers.

23. dangorange

dangorange Forum Resident

Is it me, or have there been a rash of these turquoise for sale on ebay lately?

24. JCBROOKLYN

JCBROOKLYN Well-Known Member

go for it

25. Phil C

Phil C New Member

Well, I have a complete Led Zeppelin Turquoise (with correct number polylined inner) that I bought in the UK in 1969 and brought it over to the USA with me in 1979.
    It has the correct Matrix/Runout with 588171 A//1 and 588171 B//1 1
    One owner for 50+ years and now I am thinking of selling it because I am deaf in my right ear and the other one has hearing loss. It needs to be played loud!! :) !

ODShowtime and rubberhead like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.