Left Banke: There's Gonna Be A Storm vs Sundazed CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Craig Williams, Feb 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Indeed!

now_sounds likes this.
  2. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I'm not surprised that the Sundazed CDs sound bad. My original LP of their first album sounds horrible too.

3. DCW

DCW been a-boogeyin' since I ditched the stroller.

So did I, 19 years ago. I remember that day because, after I left the store, I had very little time to get to class, and so I had to bring it with me. This was during my first year of American-style Law School, where Professors pick you apart for every tiny little thing that you do. The most blisteringly cruel of the professors at my alma mater picked "There's Gonna Be A Storm" up off the desk, and insulted me, with some attendant rant about caring for music more than devoting myself to "The Law". How could you ever forget that?

Music's still more important to me than that ridiculous diploma I subsequently "earned", by the way.

Revolver and Pavol Stromcek like this.
  4. Royce

Royce Senior Member

Thanks Michael, I'm going to have to get it now! (he likes it, hey mikey!) (sorry, I couldn't resist :D)
    So, this can only be had on an original LP?

Michael likes this.
  5. Michael

yes...anytime at all my friend.
    :laugh: love it!
    yes, but the LP usually goes for $50.00 or more. Hope you can find it cheaper.
    the whole album should be on youtube...I'd listen to the whole album before I'd invest in it...you may not like it.:)

6. Michael

yes, but that diploma will make money to buy more music!

7. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

The funny thing is, There’s Gonna Be A Storm is so embedded in my mind that it has become the defacto official version to me. When I hear the original mixes, they just sound wrong. It was a very well done album, especially for its era. I think they should remaster *it*, and get it back out there.

Pavol Stromcek likes this.
  8. billygtexas

billygtexas Forum Resident

Bob Irwin posted scans of the Left Banke tape boxes on Facebook. But they are buried so way back I can't find them there anymore. Luckily I saved them on my PC.

If this poor master tape could only talk (well it does)... Clipped first notes, Azimuth problems.. Little wonder it sounds the way it does. What would Steve do with a tape in this condition?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
    She is anyway, somnar and Arkoffs like this.
  9. billygtexas

Here's another reel.. These must be the multi-tracks.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  10. Royce

Royce Senior Member

Thanks, I'll go check it out! :)

Michael likes this.
  11. Michael

great! :)

12. Michael

I would think it could not sound as bad as the Sundazed CD.:)
    If only...

13. billygtexas

I agree, the CD just sounds dull and muffled. There's mention of Dolby on the box, so I'll blame it for the dull sound. I really doubt that tape box has any 1st generation stereo mixdowns.

Since had the multi-tracks, I wish Irwin would have created a new ADD remix that duplicated the mixes of the original album instead. The only caveat is some of the original stereo mixes are very narrow.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  14. Michael

those 2 CDs had to be the most anticipated CD releases for me and the absolute most disappointing.:(

She is anyway likes this.
  15. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

As others have pointed out on the thread, the original LPs don't sound good, either.

Has anyone compared the Sundazed LP reissues to the originals?

billygtexas likes this.
  16. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Bumping this up to see if anyone has heard the Sundazed LP?

17. Tony Sclafani

Tony Sclafani Forum Resident

I don't think it's worth starting a new Left Banke thread over this question...but does anyone know if "Myrah" was ever released in stereo? I know the flip side, "Pedestal," was.

18. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

Anybody have these Sundazed LPs? I have a reissue of Too that isn't great...need an upgrade. Haven't heard anything about these reissues.

19. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Unless you are in the "original mix no matter what" camp, TGBAS is far far far better than the Sundazed reissues.

Apparently the Sundazed reissues sound like the original tapes. And if that's true, then the original tapes sound like crap and it's a good thing that the songs were remixed for TGBAS.

Craig Williams likes this.
  20. I didn't think TGBAS sounded all that good, so I can't imagine what the Sundazed sound like.

21. Michael

dull, lifeless...a touch above bootleg quality. I'm speaking of the CDs.

22. Michael

I cannot imagine the original tapes sounded like that...even my 45 of WAR sounded better! as well as the old import CDs from years back...No, this is from poor EQ and mastering...sorry to say this as I own most of the Sundazed catalog on CD! I paid my dues to this label for many years. just my opinion...

She is anyway likes this.
  23. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

You think 'Storm' is what the stereo mixdowns sounded like - but that's incorrect. That disc was remixed, with a different board and modern EQ.

24. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Actually, like many Smash LPs from that period, the mono LP is actually the stereo LP, but with mono labels and a mono cover! Presumably mono mixes of the non-45 tracks do not exist.

25. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I only have TGBAS. Although it claims to be the complete recordings, I've read that it's missing a few rare singles. Do the Sundazed releases contain anything not on "Storm?" I've been very pleased with all the other Sundazed CDs I've heard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.